Economy The French government has pressured Greece for the financial aid: Daniel Cohn-Bendit

L

^ lynx ^

The French government has pressured Greece for the financial aid: Daniel Cohn-Bendit
space.gif
space.gif
space.gif

8 May 2010 | 09:09 | FOCUS News Agency
space.gif
space.gif
space.gif

Paris.
France has provided its financial aid for Greece against a guarantee from Athens that the country would fulfil contracts for purchase of arms from Paris, despite the crisis in the Balkan state, according to Daniel Cohn-Bendit, French MEP from the Greens, quoted by Reuters.

Cohn-Bendit said that French President Nikolas Sarkozy and PM Francois Fillon had forced the Greek government to fulfil the contracts for purchase of arms, signed by the previous Greek government led by Kostas Karamanlis.

The statements were rejected by the French government, while the French Ministry of Defence refused to comment on the issue.

Cohn-Bendit added that he had learned the information during his visit in Greece and his talks with Greek PM Georgios Papandreou.

Source: http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?id=n219033

It is always like that...
We are constantly under pressure to purchase arms by Germany and France no matter if we have a crisis or not.

These countries keep announcing to the press that Greece should reduce it's military expenditures while at the same time they are pressuring Greece to purchase military equipment by them to support their military industry...

On March 20th our PM agreed to place a 1billion euro order with ThyssenKrupp for two submarines, in order to please Germany and Angela Merkel 5 days before the European council that would announce a bailout for Greece. (if you remember during that time Angela Merkel was against a bailout plan for Greece)

Our military expenditures are around 4.3% of our GDP, highest in the Mediterranean and 3rd in the world!

Last edited:
This is an abuse of political and financial power...

France and Germany's behaviour in this issue give me vomits. I just can't imagine what is to be a greek and having to deal with such hypocrisy.

France and Germany's behaviour in this issue give me vomits. I just can't imagine what is to be a greek and having to deal with such hypocrisy.

TOTAL hypocrisy...

Greece will give EUR 1.3 billion for the purchase of arms from the countries, participating in the bailout
space.gif
space.gif
space.gif

10 May 2010 | 15:29 | FOCUS News Agency
space.gif
space.gif
space.gif

Athens. Slowly but surely, Greece continues with the supplies of defence arms from the countries, participating in the bailout for the Greek economy, Greek newspaper Ethnos reports. In the midst of the economic crisis and following the statement of Greek PM Georgios Papandreou that it would be a paradox to talk about additional purchase of arms in such a moment, the government of PASOK, using the contract signed by New Democracy, continues to work on the deals, amounting at EUR 1.3 billion for arms supplies from Germany and USA.

France and Russia continue to insist on the deals with their frigates and BTRs, respectively. The newspaper notes that two German submarines will also be purchased, for around EUR 1 billion, and the spare parts for the F-16 airplanes from USA ? for USD 160 million.

Source: http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?id=n219251

To be fair these contracts will have been signed and sealed long before talk of a Greek bail out.

The contracts are effectively a commitment to purchase so are effectively debt. I'm sure most of the arms suppliers are private companies, for Greece no to follow through on these contracts now would be defaulting on debt which the bailout was meant to prevent.

To blame France or Germany is ludicruos the blame sits firmly with the Greek government:innocent:. If France or Germany were to relsease Greece from the weapons contracts they themselves would have to foot the bill to these companies which makes no sense, as that was the point of the bailout.

In that case I don't understand why the French Government has quickly rejected Mr. Bendit's statements... like they have anything to be ashamed of.

This thread has been viewed 14094 times.

Back