How did Haplogroup N reach Anatolia?

Boranidas

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
N1c
Hi all,

I am originally from Turkey and I recently participated in the "Genographic project" by the National Geographic.

I was very surprised to find out that my y dna haplogroup is haplogroup N which only constitutes %3.7 of the Turkish male population.

I personally made some research trying to find out how my ancestors have ended up in Anatolia but it is a very difficult question to answer as there was no direct hint on the matter.

The map given to me by the genographic project shows a pattern of movement from central asia towards russia and finland but the migration arrows end around there.

I need a good historical and genetic understanding of how this haplogroup could have come to Anatolia and I would really appreciate your insights on this matter.

Thank you.

Anatolia has experienced many invasions from the Euasian steppe and Central Asia in its history, among which some people undeniably carried haplogroup N. It's hard to know more precisely which one though.

Well those are 2 possibilities but is there a migration route coming down from the Balkans as well? Considering the fact that The huns and Avars once settled in the Area. They could have made it down towards to Anatolia which we will not know in most history books.

So since we cannot be sure from which region they came from exactly, my second question is which nationality or in better terms ethnic group do you think they(haplogroup N carriers) might have belonged to? Russian invaders? Central Asian invaders?(I doubt this theory as all Turks who have the central Asian origin are mainly from Haplogroup Q and C and there has been no direct hint to how/where haplogroup N fall in to)

I believe there is no or very less information/sources in regards to this topic.

That's why I would prefer you to speculate about which possibility you find most likely and how that is so. Haplogroup N is 10,000 years old, how and with which specific migrations it might have entered Anatolia? Considering the fact that the Central Asian theory is more valid in terms of Haplogroups Q and C.

That %7 is higher than the rate found in Turkey(%4) indirectly dismissing the possibility of the haplogroup entering Turkey through Central Asia. It might have been carried on through the Balkans.

why you think that? and plus you seem to be N tat as well. I am curious, are you originally from Europe?

In the Netherlands, West-Germany, Belgium, UK and Denmark the haplogroup N is
virtually absent.

I am from Turkey with Haplogroup N and my family goes back 6 generations to Ankara area.

We probably came either through Balkans or as a result of wars/invasions/rape.
Timur is another possibility since they camped around Ankara.

I wonder if the Janissaries could be responsible for the N. They were mostly from the Balkans.

I wonder if the Janissaries could be responsible for the N. They were mostly from the Balkans.

There is much less N in the Balkans than in Turkey.

Turkey is the most important mixture of haplogroups on earth !

Central Asian invaders?(I doubt this theory as all Turks who have the central Asian origin are mainly from Haplogroup Q and C and there has been no direct hint to how/where haplogroup N fall in to)

That is not really true. There are G1 - Argyn, R1b - Kipchak, R1a - Jalair, O3 - Naiman, N1, J2 - Doulat, E1 - Kozha there in Central Asian population as well. And Q is less than R1b or G1.
Virtually every CA tribe belongs to certain Hg apart Q and N1 so far. But it might be a lack of data then.

Update to previous post. Edige (Noghai-Manghit) descendants have N1. R1a is common Hg among Altaians and Kirgiz.

I am ethnic Kazakh with N1c1 and there is likely Turkic cluster of 3 Kazakhs and 1 Tatar from Volga river basin.
So I would say N in Turkic people derived from Xiongnu and part of them later formed the core of Oghuz Turkic tribes which in turn invaded Anatolia.

Hi,

I'm Romanian and got confirmed N Haplogroup so Balkanian route could be considered. At least My granparents populated an area in the SE of Romania, very close to Bulgary and in the Danube vecinity..

Furthermore these guys here need to update their N haplogroup distribution for Romania since there are few N Y haplogroups as well. At the moment they stated "0".

May I ask you how do u look Boranidas? Have u a tipycal turkish look?

Cheers.

This thread has been viewed 37733 times.

Back