Y-DNA Ethnic Turks in Bulgaria

Thrace

Reaction score
My paternal and maternal lineage for the past several centuries can be traced back to the ethnic Turkish community in Bulgaria. My fathers’ ancestors are from a small mountainous Rhodope village South of Philippopolis (Plovdiv – Bulgaria) and only some 30kms from the ancient Thracian city of Perperikon. I recently tested my Y-DNA and the results came up with E1b1b1 E-35+ (12 markers), I am in the process of extending the test to 37 markers to determine the subclade. The Y-DNA results would suggest Thracian, Balkanic or Anatolian origin. Has anyone knowledge of more extensive Y-DNA tests among the ethnic Turkish community in Bulgaria? I found a reference to a study by: B.Zaharova, S. Andonovaa, A.Gilissenb, J.Cassimanb, R.Decorteb, I. Kremenskya: “Y-chromosomal STR haplotypes in three major population groups in Bulgaria” 2001 Sofia-Bulgaria, Leuven-Belgium, suggesting a significant genetic difference and a low degree of haplogroup sharing between ethnic Turks, Bulgarians and Gypsies in the country. Any details on the study?

Regards,

After Deep clade testing I have been confirmed as E1b1b1c1a M84+. I would say this is not very usual for the Balkans and would indicate Anatolian or Levant origins. Any information of E1b1b1c1a M84+ in Europe and how it got there? I see this subclade exisits in English, Italian even German lineages.

After Deep clade testing I have been confirmed as E1b1b1c1a M84+. I would say this is not very usual for the Balkans and would indicate Anatolian or Levant origins. Any information of E1b1b1c1a M84+ in Europe and how it got there? I see this subclade exisits in English, Italian even German lineages.

Well, in my opinion, E1b1b could have - at the earliest opportunity - arrived in Europe with the Neolithic farmers who brought agriculture to Europe. As a result, it's rather widespread.

According to Wikipedia "Y-DNA haplogroups by ethnic groups"
some 20% of Bulgarian population is classfied as e1b1b, however I am not certain how valid this is and furthermore this does not tell much of the subclades of e1b1b. The general belief is that the majority of e1b1b are V13+ which is quite different than M84+, however I have not seen much scientific evidence to draw any conclusions.

I'm as well E1b1b1c1a M84+ coming from same regions as OP. In the last 300 years, to the info I have, I trace back to Bulgarian ancestors. So no full clue yet how it originated.

My paternal and maternal lineage for the past several centuries can be traced back to the ethnic Turkish community in Bulgaria. My fathers’ ancestors are from a small mountainous Rhodope village South of Philippopolis (Plovdiv – Bulgaria) and only some 30kms from the ancient Thracian city of Perperikon. I recently tested my Y-DNA and the results came up with E1b1b1 E-35+ (12 markers), I am in the process of extending the test to 37 markers to determine the subclade. The Y-DNA results would suggest Thracian, Balkanic or Anatolian origin. Has anyone knowledge of more extensive Y-DNA tests among the ethnic Turkish community in Bulgaria? I found a reference to a study by: B.Zaharova, S. Andonovaa, A.Gilissenb, J.Cassimanb, R.Decorteb, I. Kremenskya: “Y-chromosomal STR haplotypes in three major population groups in Bulgaria” 2001 Sofia-Bulgaria, Leuven-Belgium, suggesting a significant genetic difference and a low degree of haplogroup sharing between ethnic Turks, Bulgarians and Gypsies in the country. Any details on the study?

Regards,

Thrace
Very interesting.
Is it a region where Pomaks live or which ethnic group is the most?
Maybe this information can be significant.

Hello Johny123, very interesting results, do you know which region of Bulgaria your ancestors are from and which ethnic community? I think if you are parental ancestor is from the region and is confirmed M84+, then this is significant as M84+ is not that common.

Garrick, most Pomaks live in the region of the Rhodope Mountains. I am however ethnic Turk and in that particular mountainous region/community (South-East from Plovdiv, close to Asenovgrad) Turks were the predominate ethnicity. Pomaks are heavily represented in the South and West Rhodopes, where as the Eastern Rhodopes are Turks. Many areas are however mixed.

My ancesors are from a Village near Smolyan (Sokolovtsi). For what I know all my ancestors (starting from a grand-grand...-parent born 1700) are bulgarians (they have bulgarian names? - all after 1700). As far as it goes to 1850- I know they are all Christians, before that it's hard to hypothise (this particular village, despite being small, was in the middle of quite some heat during Turkish/Bulgarian battles - I've read that Christianity was introduced to that city in around 1800+ like they marketed it, built a church etc, but then the muslims became unhappy and left to another city, so only the Christians remained).

I see here that this is pretty old post but as one Bulgarian Turk it is a worth asking.
Is there any research developed since the first post on the Y-DNA among the Bulgarian Turks ?!

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 18913 times.

Back