Alonzo

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Portuguese
Y-DNA haplogroup
E1b1b1b1 (E-M183)
mtDNA haplogroup
H3
A very interesting new study by Richard Lynn, "In Italy, north–south differences in IQ predict differences in income, education, infant mortality, stature, and literacy" reveals that :

"IQs are highest in the north and lowest in the south [of Italy]. Regional IQs obtained in 2006 are highly correlated with average incomes at r=0.937, and with stature, infant mortality, literacy and education. The lower IQ in southern Italy may be attributable to genetic admixture with populations from the Near East and North Africa"

"A possible explanation for the northern regions having had higher IQs than the southern regions at least from 1880 and possibly from 1400 to 1600 is that the populations of the north and south are genetically different and these genetic differences are related to differences in intelligence. Cavalli-Sforza, Menozzi, and Piazza (1994) are the leading authorities on the genetics of human populations, particularly those in Italy. They write of the population genetics of Italy that “northern Italy shows similarities with countries of central Europe, whereas central and southern Italy are more similar to Greece and other Mediterranean countries. This corresponds to the well-known differences in physical type (especially pigmentation and size) between the northern and north-central Italians on the one side and southern Italians on the other” (1994, p. 277). By “Mediterranean countries” Cavalli-Sforza, Menozzi and Piazza mean the countries that border the Mediterranean including those of North Africa and the Near East. They note also that the Sardinians are genetically more closely related to the Greeks, Lebanese and North African Berbers than to central and northern Europeans (Cavalli-Sforza et al., 1994, pp. 78, 274). Subsequent studies have confirmed the genetic impact of immigration from the Near East and North Africa into southern Italy"

"The explanation of the genetic difference between northern and north-central Italians and southern Italians together with Sardinians is that over the course of many centuries there has been considerable immigration into the southern Italian mainland, Sicily, and Sardinia by peoples from North Africa and the Near East"

"The diffusion of genes from the Near East and North Africa may explain why the populations of southern Italy have IQs in the range of 89–92, intermediate between those of northern Italy and central and northern Europe (about 100) and those of the Near East and North Africa (in the range of 80–84) (these IQs are given in Lynn, 2006). This also explains the north–south gradient of IQ in Italy in which the regional IQs do not show a clear dichotomy between north and south but rather a gradient in which IQs decline steadily with more southerly latitude. ... This explanation also accounts for the IQs of around 90 for several countries in the Balkans shown in Lynn (2006) and confirmed for Serbia by Rushton and Čvorović (2009), whose populations are of partly European and partly Near Eastern origin (Semino et al., 1996). All these data taken together indicate that the north– south gradient of intelligence in Italy has a genetic basis going back many centuries, and hence predicts the social and economic differences documented in the nineteenth century up to the present day."

unibas.it/utenti/sofo/10031615355513377.pdf

Last edited:
Sounds like racist propoganda to me.

Were any of these studies sponsored by the Lega Nord? :rolleyes:

"Border the Mediterranean"... hmmm. Then there are countries that are only partially Mediterranean like France and Spain. They are actually more Atlantic and Western European. How about countries like Albania? What a joke...

Sounds like racist propoganda to me.

I dont think so.

When the same Richard Lynn (who is known for his views on racial and ethnic differences and believes that there are race and sex differences in intelligence) says that there are differences in IQs between "races" and that for exemple Africans have a lower IQ than Europeans, many people applaud but when he says that there are also substantial differences between Europeans themselves (especially between central-north europeans and southeastern europeans), the same people says "it is racist propoganda"... strange

No count me in on the difference between Europeans and Africans as being biased as well.

Maybe along the same lines as Italy - in America, with our melting pot, there are discussions about what causes differences in test scores for school. Thomas Sowell had a nice article on this topic yesterday concerning a New York school that selects top students from the city. The make up of the school is mainly white and asian with few blacks and other races. That has some upset. Why is that? Is it IQ or work ethic?

Juvenile Jabs Don't Deserve Standing O's
http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAna...3/Juvenile-Jabs-Dont-Deserve-Standing-Os.aspx

or as writer Steve Sailor wrote - it's not very hip to be white in todays world.

Black people like being black
http://isteve.blogspot.com/2010/08/black-people-like-being-black.html

I dont think so.

When the same Richard Lynn (who is known for his views on racial and ethnic differences and believes that there are race and sex differences in intelligence) says that there are differences in IQs between "races" and that for exemple Africans have a lower IQ than Europeans, many people applaud but when he says that there are also substantial differences between Europeans themselves (especially between central-north europeans and southeastern europeans), the same people says "it is racist propoganda"... strange
Good point. Also one can drive up and down Italy to see a big difference in economic development, order, and crime. And the changes are gradual.

IQ is not purely genetic. It depends on many other things such as :

- the mother's health and diet during pregnancy (obviously a mother who abuse of alcohol or do drugs or eat food with a high level of toxicity like tuna will damage the foetus' brain and lead to lower IQ)

- nutrition at least until reaching physical and mental maturity (the brain consumes a lot of energy and a good nutrition rich in omega-3, vitamins, minerals, etc. will improve neural development)

- the quality of education t least until 5 years old (intellectual stimulation from an early age is vital to the proper development of brain functions)

Statistically, poorer and less educated people have worse nutrition, are more prone to unhealthy habits and live in a less intellectually stimulating environment, which may be why IQ tends to correlate with the parents' social class and revenues, which in turn is reflected on the education, job opportunities, wealth and social class of their children.

- the mother's health and diet during pregnancy (obviously a mother who abuse of alcohol or do drugs or eat food with a high level of toxicity like tuna will damage the foetus' brain and lead to lower IQ)

- nutrition at least until reaching physical and mental maturity (the brain consumes a lot of energy and a good nutrition rich in omega-3, vitamins, minerals, etc. will improve neural development)

- the quality of education t least until 5 years old (intellectual stimulation from an early age is vital to the proper development of brain functions)

Statistically, poorer and less educated people have worse nutrition, are more prone to unhealthy habits and live in a less intellectually stimulating environment, which may be why IQ tends to correlate with the parents' social class and revenues, which in turn is reflected on the education, job opportunities, wealth and social class of their children.

I fully agree. Environmental factors in the early years of a child's life play critical roles in intellectual development. Generally, if a child comes from a family lower down in the social strata, chances are his / her IQ will be inferior to children of better educated, higher income parents. Neither race or ethnicity are determinants of IQ levels.

Now that's objective.

QFT. (y)

I bump this thread cause I think this may be useful for some person.

I agree.

For example, the Irish are genetically similar to other people in the British Isles, yet their IQ is 92 on average. The population endured a lot of abuse, and were deprived of much.

But I also believe that the 19th and early 20th century mass immigration from these countries, like Italy, and Ireland played a role in reducing the IQs of the populations. The most individualistic, and risk-taking people left for greener pastures, like the USA. Which is why the immigrants from those countries became successful in places that allowed them to be. Also, the internal immigration within these places probably had a hand in depleting IQ scores in some places, and elevating them in other. Many Irish people moved to England; many Southern Italians moved to northern cities.

What will the Mediterranean have, despite being the cradle of European civilization, people who live near it become fools, poor and there are those who consider that they are from another race ?, this smells a bit of "anti-Mediterranean racism."

I think that if there is no good quality of life in which the economy and access to culture work, with just and well structured societies, you live on the shores of the Mediterranean or wherever the coefficient is intellectual will be lower , So I understand that genetics can influence something but fundamentally environmental circumstances

The previous post the second paragraph is not well translated.

I wanted to say that the most important thing to have a good IQ is the economy and education.

IQ is about problem solving ability proportionated to acquired knowledge regardless of education or economic.

If you simply have nutritional deficiencies, without entering other deficiencies, I understand that the IQ is going to be lower.

This is like the egg and the chicken, which was before ?, I believe that before is the good situation economy and quality education.

If you simply have nutritional deficiencies, without entering other deficiencies, I understand that the IQ is going to be lower.

I don't know who said this but one thing not lacking in the south of Italy is nutrition and quality comes at a very decent price. Probably they have one of the best cuisines in the world including a great variety of sweet tasting fruit and healthy olive oil :)......and no meal comes out ready from a packet.......

The fact that people drink coffee shows that the environment does play a significant role in intellectual capacity.
;)

I don't know who said this but one thing not lacking in the south of Italy is nutrition and quality comes at a very decent price. Probably they have one of the best cuisines in the world including a great variety of sweet tasting fruit and healthy olive oil :)......and no meal comes out ready from a packet.......

Sadly, that was not always the case. Even my dad told me that his family would have nothing but bread most of the time, growing up.

This thread has been viewed 63509 times.

Back