Where to do a DNA test?

Anatolian

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I really want to do a DNA test about my history, and was wondering what my ancestors were..

As you know that Turkey is a cocktail of people, I have a feeling and some knowledge that I do have Indo-European background a high chance of beying J2..

I have a picture uploaded on my profile album, that might give you an indication of my features.

Thanks,
Anatolian

Ftdn

Selam,

Try Family Tree DNA, I would recommend the Y-DNA 37 marker test and if you want more detailed sub-clade go with the additional Deep Clade.

I think that a test like 23andMe is the most adapted to your needs if you want to know where your stand compared to other Turkish people and see how closely your whole DNA (not just Y-DNA) is to the Greek or Balkan populations. If you have predominantly Greek, or Roman or Celtic ancestors, then your genome will be more similar to South-East Europeans than to Turks.

Thanks for the reply guys, but what I'm looking for is a cheap (I'm a student :D) one. I found out about iGenea but I don't find that very reliable.
Thanks

Thanks for the reply Thrace and Maciamo.
I looked in to the both test's and it's pretty good, although isn't there any cheaper (I'm a student!:) ) And isn't there any that just says ok after your dna result inspections the results say that you are this and that. I don't know much about the numbers and figures so just basic stuff. I am educating my self in to this so I'm a new starter.

Thanks again!

Hello, I realized Igenea genetic testing and was in a satisfactory manner.

By looking at your photo and considering that you are Turkish, it's very likely that you are of Albanian decent.

About 20% of Turkey is of European origins, and about half of those Europeans are Albanians that migrated or mixed.

Arnauts.

Hello

Please note that physical appearance and deep ancestry are not the same thing. Different genes decide physical apperance than Y-DNA.

Only some 5% of Turkish E Y-DNA is classified to cluster M78 probably V13, which is thought to be possible Balcanic with high concentration in Albania and the region. The rest 6 -7% is most likely M123/M34.

Last edited:
By looking at your photo and considering that you are Turkish, it's very likely that you are of Albanian decent.

About 20% of Turkey is of European origins, and about half of those Europeans are Albanians that migrated or mixed.

Arnauts.

There are no Arnavut's in central Anatolia but mostly in western Turkey having population of around 3-4 million. There are more Bosnians, Bulgarians then Arnavut's combining 8-9 million. There were no migrations from the balkans to our places.

Anatolian, it is best you start first with learning your own history and the history of Anatolia. For further reading get acquainted with the Ottoman Turkish conquest and colonisation of the Balkans with the Seljuk tribes such as the Karaman, Saruhan and Karesi. There are no Bulgarians living or migrating in Turkey today, correct your lexicon, these are RUMELIAN/THRACIAN TURKS legacy of the Ottoman Turkish conquest of the Balkans, who were forced to migrate back to Turkey (war, exchange of population, ethnic cleansing etc.). You should note that a lot of these Seljuk and Ottoman Turks that migrated to the Balkans starting 14th century (some even 13th century) came in fact from the region of Konya. As it is the Ottomans moved Balkanic populations to Anatolia and the Middle-Eastern provinces (policy of Sürgün) therefore do not be quick to judge, the fact that you might be from Konay region means nothing.

Thanks for the reply guys, but what I'm looking for is a cheap (I'm a student :D) one. I found out about iGenea but I don't find that very reliable.
Thanks

Hi! I tested with DNATribes, FTDNA and 23andme. I'd suggest, if you want your paternal line tested, to join a group on FTDNA which will give you a discount..that's what I did for my dad's DNA test. 23andme right now is $299 for Ancestry-only. However, on Black Friday and on DNA Day they drop prices dramatically. It happend early this year, for full test it was $99 for one day. I have a lot of friends that jumped on that. If you want more bang for your buck do 23andme, it will give you both maternal and paternal lines. Just wait for a sale, altho right now it's going for less than usual. Good luck! :)

Anatolian, it is best you start first with learning your own history and the history of Anatolia. For further reading get acquainted with the Ottoman Turkish conquest and colonisation of the Balkans with the Seljuk tribes such as the Karaman, Saruhan and Karesi. There are no Bulgarians living or migrating in Turkey today, correct your lexicon, these are RUMELIAN/THRACIAN TURKS legacy of the Ottoman Turkish conquest of the Balkans, who were forced to migrate back to Turkey (war, exchange of population, ethnic cleansing etc.). You should note that a lot of these Seljuk and Ottoman Turks that migrated to the Balkans starting 14th century (some even 13th century) came in fact from the region of Konya. As it is the Ottomans moved Balkanic populations to Anatolia and the Middle-Eastern provinces (policy of Sürgün) therefore do not be quick to judge, the fact that you might be from Konay region means nothing.

I was born in Boğazliyan (Yozgat) and raised in Boğazliyan and Kayseri. There are no legacy's of migration from or to in our area's I know my history well. I've spoken with many eldern men from the village about this.

I think it's best to do it to 67

How big is the chance that my own Y-DNA is a mutation and I won't find any people closely related to me?

I think it is quite low.

I was born in Boğazliyan (Yozgat) and raised in Boğazliyan and Kayseri. There are no legacy's of migration from or to in our area's I know my history well. I've spoken with many eldern men from the village about this.

kardeş merhaba ben Aksaray yazıyorum sen test yaptırdın mı?

Where to do a DNA test/Anatolian

Hi Anatolian,

Since your are a student, you can start by doing a 12 marker y-dna test. Igenea (in Switzerland) is a partner with the American FTDNA company in Houston Tx. However, the other testing companies referred to you are also reliable.

The 12 marker test will give you your haplogroup/type. If you match anyone and the testing company sends you those matches (like FTDNA), then you can contact your matches. BTW: A mutation can even occur between a father and son.

If it's interesting and important to you and you can afford it later on you can "upgrade" to 25 or 37 markers and even 67 markers. If you have no matches there is no point in upgrading since the first 12 matches set the parameters for you haplogroup.

A haplogroup can tell you is where the "deep origins" of your paternal ancestors came from and from what area they are mostly found presentlly .

When your haplogroup is established via your own results (such as J2 etc,) you will have to web searches on that particular haplogroup for further information.

Good luck!

This thread has been viewed 19294 times.

Back