Reaction score
Ethnic group
Celtic/Germanic
Y-DNA haplogroup
I2b1c
mtDNA haplogroup
J
Hi there

Seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people on here i was wondering what people can tell me about my Haplogroup which is I(M170)

my surname is Sorbian in origin which is a slavic minority group from Lusatia in Germany.

Thanks in advance :)

I* (M170) is the Paleolithic lineage from which all subclades of I derive. I* is associated with Cro-Magnon and is very rare nowadays. Have you been tested for all subclades of I ?

I got my result from the National Geographic Geneographic project here is my results im not an expert on this subject so im not sure what to make of it all.

here is a screen shot
budo.png

Last edited:
I got my result from the National Geographic Geneographic project here is my results im not an expert on this subject so im not sure what to make of it all.
here is a screen shot i cant post it as an image as i havent made 10 posts
img715.imageshack.us/img715/2739/budo.png

I saw your results and you almost 100 % belong to haplogroup I2b1. It is haplogroup typical for Lower Saxony, and as you said that your surname is Sorbian by origin, it is understandable that you belong to haplogroup I2b1 becuse the Sorbs lives today in region of Saxony.

Look at map below,this is the position of I2b1 in Europe:
http://yorkyingers.com/dna_files/image002.jpg

And about haplogroup I2b1 from Eupedia:

I2b (formerly I1c) is associated with the pre Celto-Germanic people of North-Western Europe, such as the megaliths builders (5000-1200 BCE). The wide variety of STR markers within I2b could make it as much as 13,000 years old.

I2b is found in all Western Europe, but apparently survived better the Indo-European invasions (=> see R1b above) in northern Germany, and was reintroduced by the Germanic invasions during the late Roman period. Nowadays, I2b peaks in central and northern Germany (10-20%), the Benelux (10-15%) as well as in northern Sweden. It is also found in 3 to 10% of the inhabitants of Denmark, East England, and Northern France. It is rare in Norway, which concords with the fact that it hasn't been invaded by people from northern Germany.

There are two major subclades : I2b1 (M223+) and I2b2 (L38/S154+), further subdivided in at least 4 subclades each, although little is known about them yet. The subclade I2b1a (M284+) occurs almost exclusively in Britain, where it seemingly developed about 3,000 years ago.

Thanks for the information thats great :)

You should have said so directly. The National Genographic Project is not a trustworthy DNA test as only top haplogroups are tested and not subclades. But based on your STR's you are I2b1.

Yeah its not very specific the information they gave me. But i guess it was a cheap test compared to some others i have looked at.
I also would like to get my mothers mtDNA tested as she is a Scot, whose from a Norman background. I was thinking of using the Genographic project again but ill look into other tests hopefully not nearing the 1k mark in price!

Oh wow an English speaking Sorb on the net. That has to be rare!

I saw your results and you almost 100 % belong to haplogroup I2b1. It is haplogroup typical for Lower Saxony, and as you said that your surname is Sorbian by origin, it is understandable that you belong to haplogroup I2b1 becuse the Sorbs lives today in region of Saxony.
Sorry, but its a wrong information. Theres a big geographic difference between Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen), Saxony (Sachsen) and Saxony-Anhalt (Sachsen-Anhalt). Look on the maps of Wikipedia!

I2b you find in the Netherlands and in Northgermany. But also on the British Isles and other typical celtic/germanic regions.

The Sorbs (german: Sorben, Wenden) today live in the Lausitz and its a part of Brandenburg, Saxony (not Lower Saxony!) and a small part of poland.

The Sorbs are Slavic, and the most of them have the haplogroup R1a.

Sorry, but its a wrong information. Theres a big geographic difference between Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen), Saxony (Sachsen) and Saxony-Anhalt (Sachsen-Anhalt). Look on the maps of Wikipedia!
I2b you find in the Netherlands and in Northgermany. But also on the British Isles and other typical celtic/germanic regions.
The Sorbs (german: Sorben, Wenden) today live in the Lausitz and its a part of Brandenburg, Saxony (not Lower Saxony!) and a small part of poland.
The Sorbs are Slavic, and the most of them have the haplogroup R1a.
Everything you wrote is true, but Lower Saxony is not thousands of miles far away from Saxony where Sorbs today live. It is actually bordering region together with Saxony Anhalt. And I have posted a map of freqency of I2b with its peak in the region of Saxony-Anhalt.
http://yorkyingers.com/dna_files/image002.jpg
According to the same paper which states 64% of R1a for Sorbs, there is also 20% of I haplogroup among them, but it is not specifically said what subclade. I thought earlier that it could be I2a2 because they are Slavic, but now I am not so sure. It could very easily be I2b1.
So if the peak of I2b1 in Europe is in Saxony (Saxony-Anhalt) it is very possible that someone of Sorbian descent has I2b1 haplogroup. Is he Slav or German by origin is totally different question. He said by his own that he is of Sorbian descent.

yes I am sure that even though the Sorbs speak a Slavic language they are not necessarily fully slavic in that they migrated into what is now modern day Germany around the 9th and 10th century to suggest they did not interbreed with Germanic people in the last 1000 years is a bit far fetched.

Ive read online that even Hitlers third reich with its Germanic superiority eyed stance on Slavs said the Sorbs were German people speaking a slavic language.

No doubt i have Slavic and German blood in my dads side.

BTW marriages between Germans and Sorbs were quite common all time through! However, the Sorbs managed to maintain their cultural heritage.

Sorbs and Serbs are the same people in origin? Did they migrated to Dalmatia region?

Moreover, how do people know they are Sorbs in nowadays Germany?

Yeah its not very specific the information they gave me. But i guess it was a cheap test compared to some others i have looked at.
I also would like to get my mothers mtDNA tested as she is a Scot, whose from a Norman background. I was thinking of using the Genographic project again but ill look into other tests hopefully not nearing the 1k mark in price!
Are you adopted? If not then your mother's mtDNA should be identical to yours.

Are you adopted? If not then your mother's mtDNA should be identical to yours.

no thats what i meant. im not a scot, i worded it wrong (y)

In Lusatia they do, where they still speak the Upper and Lower Sorbian Slavic language and continue the Sorbian cultural activities.

Sorbs and Serbs are the same people in origin? Did they migrated to Dalmatia region?

That's complete rubbish! Don't know who ever came up with that. I know that languages are not the best indicator for relation, but the sorbian language is definatly closest to the Czech language, in the lower sorbian language also with a lot of polish features.

Numbers in Germany are just estimations, as no ethnic divisions are made nowadays. It is up to the individual to which culture he feels closest with. As I don't speak a word of Sorbian language and my last "real" Sorb ancestor lived around 200 years ago I can't feel very much as a Sorb. However my surname sometimes reminds me of it.

Hello brother (y)

Hey bud! (y) How're doin' down there? Great to meet you! :)

This thread has been viewed 44261 times.

Back