Y-DNA Upgrade from 37 to 67 markers

Eireannach

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Irish
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b1a2a1a1b4 L21
I'm thinking of ordering an upgrade to the 67 markers. What exactly would this tell me that I dont know already? Does it refine the haplogroup you belong to? I'm just wondering is there any beneift to getting the upgrade. Many thanks for any help with this.

I'm thinking of ordering an upgrade to the 67 markers. What exactly would this tell me that I dont know already? Does it refine the haplogroup you belong to? I'm just wondering is there any beneift to getting the upgrade. Many thanks for any help with this.
I was actually going to ask this same question, so I can't give you answer. I can though, explain what I got from FTDNA.

I had the FTDNA 37 marker done and it came back as Rib1b2 predicted. Then whenever I logged into FTDNA, it offered me an upgrade to confirm the prediction. I finally did the upgrade, which turned out to be SNP tests for L21+ and M222+.

Now whenever I log into FTDNA, I am told that no upgrades are available. It seems to me that they are saying that the SNP tests are enough, or why wouldn't they offer me a 67 marker upgrade to make more money.

Importance of 67 markers

Upgrading to 67 markers can definitely help place you in the right deep ancestral group as well as possibly turn up some genealogical "cousins"... even if you have few matches at 37 markers. This was very important in my own case as it turned out some of my key off-modal markers were above 37.

A Genetic Distance (GD) of up to 7 is considered a match across 67 markers whereas a GD of only up to 4 is considered a match across 37 markers. It turns out that some of the markers above 37 are slow to medium moving and therefore very helpful in discerning between groups.

Here are just a few of the markers above 37 that are important:
531 is key for the Scots cluster
617 is key for the 11-13 combo variety
490 is a key marker that divides SRY2627 people

In the R-L21* (R1b1b2a1b5) group, most people are doing it. 65.9% of the haplotypes I've found are 67 in length.

I was actually going to ask this same question, so I can't give you answer. I can though, explain what I got from FTDNA.

I had the FTDNA 37 marker done and it came back as Rib1b2 predicted. Then whenever I logged into FTDNA, it offered me an upgrade to confirm the prediction. I finally did the upgrade, which turned out to be SNP tests for L21+ and M222+.

Now whenever I log into FTDNA, I am told that no upgrades are available. It seems to me that they are saying that the SNP tests are enough, or why wouldn't they offer me a 67 marker upgrade to make more money.
You may have no upgrades available on the Haplotree screen as you are M222+ and they haven't discovered any new SNP's below that.

However, if you haven't upgraded to 67 markers you should be able to by going to "Order Tests & Upgrades" (under "My Account") then "Go to Standard Orders" then under "Select a Product" take "Y-Refine37to67"

Thanks for the help. I think I will probably do the upgrade when i put together the cash.

You may have no upgrades available on the Haplotree screen as you are M222+ and they haven't discovered any new SNP's below that.

However, if you haven't upgraded to 67 markers you should be able to by going to "Order Tests & Upgrades" (under "My Account") then "Go to Standard Orders" then under "Select a Product" take "Y-Refine37to67"
Thanks, I found it. As you say, there is nothing below M222 now, but I'll take it eventually.

HELLO
I am new to this forum. I had two months ago received my 67 marker. I found I was Ydna E-V13 on my Dads side and K on my Mothers side. This is all new to me and wanted to ask The E-V13 is this Greek or Macedonian or Albanian? I know my father is from Macedonia. My Fathers side has been there forever! We even have passed down very old coins from Alexander the Great times. I would like a clear picture from some of you who know this haplogroup much better?

Thank you

HELLO
I am new to this forum. I had two months ago received my 67 marker. I found I was Ydna E-V13 on my Dads side and K on my Mothers side. This is all new to me and wanted to ask The E-V13 is this Greek or Macedonian or Albanian? I know my father is from Macedonia. My Fathers side has been there forever! We even have passed down very old coins from Alexander the Great times. I would like a clear picture from some of you who know this haplogroup much better?

Thank you

You are very confusing. Where exactly are you from?

Macedonia is the dark orange area here (the rest is depended territories) and Pella was the birth place of the Great Alexander. Which part of it is the place you come from?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/Map_Macedonia_336_BC-en.svg

HELLO

Thank you
It doesn't meet it's any one particular nation. What it does is that its a old haplogroup native(for a while at least) to the area of South-Eastern Balkans. It is seen in greatest number in Kosovar Albanians, and also in large quantities in Montenegro.

Here are just a few of the markers above 37 that are important:
531 is key for the Scots cluster
617 is key for the 11-13 combo variety
490 is a key marker that divides SRY2627 people

Hi, where did you find this information? I'd like to know more about what specific markers mean. I am in a different haplogroup (I2a2a) though...

Durazzo
Kosovo and Peloponnese has peak for your haplogroup.

Peloponnese is over 47% (Semino et al 2004).

This thread has been viewed 17935 times.

Back