Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
There is a new article by Jesse Bering that makes for a very good read :

Scientific American : An ode to the many evolved virtues of human semen

The essential message is this, but it's worth reading the whole article for the Bering's entertaining style.

But before we jump into their rich vat of seminal theory, let’s have a quick look at some of the key ingredients of human semen. In fact, semen has a very complicated chemical profile, containing over 50 different compounds (including hormones, neurotransmitters, endorphins and immunosupressants) each with a special function and occurring in different concentrations within the seminal plasma. Perhaps the most striking of these compounds is the bundle of mood-enhancing chemicals in semen. There is good in this goo. Such anxiolytic chemicals include, but are by no means limited to, cortisol (known to increase affection), estrone (which elevates mood), prolactin (a natural antidepressant), oxytocin (also elevates mood), thyrotropin-releasing hormone (another antidepressant), melatonin (a sleep-inducing agent) and even serotonin (perhaps the most well-known antidepressant neurotransmitter).

The most significant findings from this 2002 study, published with criminally modest fanfare in the Archives of Sexual Behavior, were these: even after adjusting for frequency of sexual intercourse, women who engaged in sex and “never” used condoms showed significantly fewer depressive symptoms than did those who “usually” or “always” used condoms. Importantly, these chronically condomless, sexually active women also evidenced fewer depressive symptoms than did those who abstained from sex altogether. By contrast, sexually active women, even really promiscuous ones, who used condoms were just as depressed as those practicing total abstinence. In other words, it’s not just that women who are having sex are simply happier, but instead happiness appears to be a function of the ambient seminal fluid pulsing through one’s veins.

I need to forward this information to a few ladies I know! :grin:

What a disturbing article...on so many levels.
Nevertheless, I will say I had to take a round of steroids once and I was never happier. Guys have it easier, emotionally. Not having been a guy, but being a mother of a daughter and son, and being married for 15 years...I can say that guys have the right mix of happy hormones. If I can get that through...well, other means...I haven't noticed.

It could also be that the depressive womans tend to worry more in general, thus they insist using a condom.

It could also be that the depressive womans tend to worry more in general, thus they insist using a condom.

You know women insist on using condoms for having safe sex, unless you are certain your sexual partner is not having sex with other people otherwise you have risks of getting sexually transmitted diseases. There are a lot of lonely people out there, if you can't find the right one it is actually better to stay alone.

This thread has been viewed 12376 times.

Back