Characteristics of Haplogroups??

RH NEG-I

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Scots Irish
Y-DNA haplogroup
I1
Are there any defining physical characteristics that can be positivly associated with the various Haplo Groups?

As far as I know there are no physical characteristics caused by the Y-Chromosome, except of course for the general male characteristics. But to be more precise they are not caused by the Y-DNA itself, but by the missing second X-Chromosome which otherwise oppresses these features. Unless of course you associate Y haplogroups with certain ethnicities, so that you can say with a certain chance someone with haplogroup A is black, O suffers from lactose intolerance, I is white etc...

Interesting so I suppose the mdna points to more definable traits?

Our general charateristics are determined by our autosomal DNA and not our mtDNA or Y DNA haplogroup. Two individuals can have identical mtDNA and Y DNA markings and look completely different as far as eye, hair and skin color, along with other physical attributes.

Arent there technological and societal advances and or changes associated with Y chromosome mutations in antiquity?

Y DNA and mtDNA are used to trace ancestry as they are unchanged for thousands of generations. But we are all made up of thousands of Genes that contribute to our physical traits and from many relatives that are not associated with either the Y or mtDNA.

For Example I look exactly like my Scottish Mothers father but I do not have his Y DNA.

I understand but what exactly is the Y chromosome responsible for? It has to express itself somehow. Perhaps its a psychological thing, male identity? For instance, exposure to testosterone in the womb can determine a man's ability to read maps, problem solve, aggression, etc. Perhaps the Y chromosome plays a role? Is there any data on this? As I said before there are observed changes in civilizations that are associated with mutations in the Y chromosome.

There might be some physical characteristics that are defined by certain Y groups, things like male fertility or maybe a tendancy to produce more male offspring than female offspring. There might even be some sex linked differences that are responsible for certain behavioral traits. I seem to recall a studyof a group of Dutch families had a tendency for males to be more violent than other groups. I don't know if this was linked to their Y chromesome or not but since it only seemed to be shown in the males I would assume that it did.

There might be some physical characteristics that are defined by certain Y groups, things like male fertility or maybe a tendancy to produce more male offspring than female offspring. There might even be some sex linked differences that are responsible for certain behavioral traits. I seem to recall a studyof a group of Dutch families had a tendency for males to be more violent than other groups. I don't know if this was linked to their Y chromesome or not but since it only seemed to be shown in the males I would assume that it did.

There are diseases like color-blindness or alopecia (if we call it a disease:LOL:) which too only affect males. The genes linked to these diseases however are not on the Y-Chromosome, but on the sister X-chromosome. A second X-chromosome would neutralize the effect, but as males don't have one, the disease breaks though.

It's a little more complicated I suppose. Alopecia and colour blindness effects women too but to lesser degree. Go figure. :)

It's a little more complicated I suppose. Alopecia and colour blindness effects women too but to lesser degree. Go figure. :)

Yes, to be more precise it effects women too but to a much lesser degree. That proves too the disease is not directly from the Y-chromosome. Anyways there must me a sex-linked reason males are effected heavier. It is the same with behavior.

Interesting so I suppose the mdna points to more definable traits?

Those, like you and I, who have I haplogroup Ydna tend to be much better looking..

Masculinization of the brain as indicated by 2D:4D ratio could be passed down via y haplogroups. According to a study done on 1,260 Austrian individuals, 2D:4D is strongly heritable along paternal lines. This suggests a y chromosome component to fetal testosterone levels. If anyone else has more information on this please post as there are enormous implications. Masculinity is an important component of what makes you you. It affects your aggression, visual spatial abilities, athletic ability, empathy, sex drive, etc... Even though it is a small component of your DNA it would be one of the most important genes if 2D:4D and fetal testosterone is affected by your y haplogroup.

@JQP4545 Wow now that's interresting! That would mean that Y chromosome haplogroups may be more important than previously thought! So there may be after all a different ratio of rich/successful men vs poor men or hairy men vs bald men or strong(er)/muscular men vs weak(er) men or agressive men vs peaceful men or tall men vs short men or even smart(er) men vs dumb(er) men for various Y haplogroups! I recall a study done on Pakistani males where the R1a Pakistanis were found to be more agressive than Pakistani men of other Y haplogroups. Could you post the link for that Austrian study?

There are studies that have shown a positive correlation between the Y Chromosome and height, however they did not identify which Y DNA Haplogroup the SNP belonged to. That said, the countries with the tallest men in the world are also the countries with the highest percentages of men carrying Y DNA I1 and I2.

This is probably an inherited trait from Y DNA Ancestor Cro Magnon who was very tall.

Another thing I strongly believe would be influenced by the Y Chromosome is male pattern baldness and hair in general, Asiatic men tend to be less hairy so I wouldn't be suprised if men with R1a/R1b tended to be less harier than their I,J,G counterparts. R1a/b also started off with an Asiatic Bracephalic (broad) skull so I wouldn't be surprised if men carrying this haplogroup tended to have a more mesocephalic headshape (round). Y DNA I,J and G all would have the dolicephalic (long) headshape, and probably a more prominent nose too. These wouldn't be traits influenced by the y chromosome itself but rather traits left over from ancestors we can determine by the y dna haplogroup.

@motzart I noticed the correlation between tall height and haplogroup I* before as well. As for hairiness and baldness, I also expect I*, G* and J* carriers to be the most predisposed to both traits. With E1b1b*(and YAP lineages in general) coming second and being intermediate between IJ*/G*/H* and K* descended lineages(NO*/P*/Q*/R*) in that respect. What do you think?

There are studies that have shown a positive correlation between the Y Chromosome and height, however they did not identify which Y DNA Haplogroup the SNP belonged to. That said, the countries with the tallest men in the world are also the countries with the highest percentages of men carrying Y DNA I1 and I2.
Possibly so.

This is probably an inherited trait from Y DNA Ancestor Cro Magnon who was very tall.

Another thing I strongly believe would be influenced by the Y Chromosome is male pattern baldness and hair in general,
Surprisingly male pattern boldness comes from mother side, therefore Y chromosome is out of equation.

As to tallness in general in Europe it seems coming from I, but Lithuania stand out being tall without I.

@Le Brok That's an old myth abouth male pattern baldness. Scientists have found other genes involved especially autosomal ones. And I bet we'll find Y- related genes for that trait as well( which I always suspected).

This thread has been viewed 51407 times.

Back