Moving to the UK

anonymust

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Dutch Caribbean (Curacao)
Hey guys,

I'm just curious as to how difficult it is to find a house in the UK. (preferably London).

And what is the average cost of a studio (something between 20 - 40 sq meters)

I lived all my life in the USA with my parents, but i was born of Dutch nationality (The netherlands), and trying to live here for the past two years is difficult since i never spoke dutch in my life.

So i'd like to come to the UK to live and/or study/work.

Since UK is part of the EU :) I can travel freely :p

P.s the GBP is worth more than the EUR :) hope i get a good job!

Hey guys,

I'm just curious as to how difficult it is to find a house in the UK. (preferably London).

And what is the average cost of a studio (something between 20 - 40 sq meters)

I lived all my life in the USA with my parents, but i was born of Dutch nationality (The netherlands), and trying to live here for the past two years is difficult since i never spoke dutch in my life.

So i'd like to come to the UK to live and/or study/work.

Since UK is part of the EU :) I can travel freely :p

P.s the GBP is worth more than the EUR :) hope i get a good job!

The UK is arguably overcrowded as it is. The Pound may be worth more than the Euro but the cost of basic commodities is ludicrously expensive. University fees are on average £9,000 per year. Jobs are increasingly scarce with serious levels of unemployment rising fast. Many, if not most, young people find themselves unable to get on the property ladder. Riots have recently swept the country. Racial tensions run high in many parts of the land. The country is ruled by an unelected coalition government. It rains most of the time.

Please don't think that I'm trying to put you off, but have you ever considered Poland?

I have polish friends, I've been to Polland, but Im more looking forward on getting to a country where i can build my career (preferable in English) and live life regularly (watch english tv shows, read English magazines) that kinda stuff if you know what I mean.

I dont want to really adopt to another country, i know the way of life for the British, and i can manage with that,

at the moment I am in the Netherlands, and i hate their culture, and they way they do things...

P.s. I heard from polish friends that the roads over there suck a-r-s-e :LOL:

Impressive thread!

anonymust asks question on 24-01-11 (only post so far!)

Yorkie replies on 30-10-11 (only answer to thread!)

anonymust replies to Yorkie within 16 minutes

Must have been a great moment you've been waiting for 9 months long :LOL:

I have polish friends, I've been to Polland, but Im more looking forward on getting to a country where i can build my career (preferable in English) and live life regularly (watch english tv shows, read English magazines) that kinda stuff if you know what I mean.

I dont want to really adopt to another country, i know the way of life for the British, and i can manage with that,

at the moment I am in the Netherlands, and i hate their culture, and they way they do things...

P.s. I heard from polish friends that the roads over there suck a-r-s-e :LOL:

If I wasn't married you could come and live with me. You look gorgeous! [Don't tell my wife...] :LOL:

Hi, it is nice meeting you!
Since you are moving to UK, you may need someone to transport your storage furniture and your belongings.
:) I think that i can help you by saying that when i moved to UK I used Mitchell's of Mansfield transportation and logistics company.They were really nice to me and I was pleased whit their job. All of my belongings were moved carefully and I had nothing to complain about. Here is their site: Overnight Palletized Freight Distributor - Mitchell’s of Mansfield .
Hope I've been useful to you and I wish you luck with finding the house of your dreams. Nice and safe moving to UK from me!:giggle:

The lady doesn't seem to be around anymore, but her 2 posts tell a lot about what is wrong with young people nowadays. Her expectations about life in the Netherlands have not been met, is it because of the weather, language? I have the deep feeling that immigrants should adapt to their host culture and not the other way around (consider that Holland is one of the most tolerant countries when it comes to immigrants...), and things there are done pretty efficiently. Moving to the UK won't sort the problem as, as Yorkie rightfully underlined, society there is more fragmented, communitised, jobs are scarcer and London has a housing problem. As a part-time working student, it is a recipe for disaster. Flanders published a couple of weeks ago a leaflet for immigrants, explaining in very simple language what is expected from people coming to Flanders to live. Some politicians have been commenting the publication as downright racist and depicting Flanders as a narrow-minded community, borderline intolerant. After reading the leaflet, where emphasis is put into learning Dutch and adapting to Flemish and Belgian laws and way of life (along with more trivial information such as "it rains a lot, do not go out without an umbrella"), I cannot stop thinking this is what had been missing for so long. Fair play to the lady for acknowleding she doesn't want to adapt to another country though, that is a sure endorsement to the US education policy. Welcome to Europe, but remember the US of A will always be there for you to go back if you feel homesick...

the UK is very overcrowded. I lived here so far for a few years but I wouldn't want to stay here, especially in London.

Due to the UK being vastly overcrowded and where I'm from Liverpool there is vast unemployment aswell which is why I now live in Prague, living in the UK as it being a EU country does give you the right to move around Europe freely.

I have been there visited the United kingdom but have no idea about the Living and moving but I would like to discuss about it with my uncle after that i will like to share his views with all of you.

Here I am going to tell you about my favorites destinations of the UK, Palace of Westminster , Stonehenge, British Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum. I really like to explore these places. Have you ever visited the places?

First of all, I would like to tell you that I am also a huge fan of the USA and its different states. By the way here I am going to tell you the name of the attraction Victoria and Albert Museums,this is very nice place i think you should start from here.

Victoria and Albert Museumsert Museum is a nice choice to visit. Here I am going to share some images of the place as your requirements. I hope after that you can make your tour easily and will enjoy there.

ballgowns-closed.jpg
hdr-asia-415.jpg
266_6a_va_25.jpg

I really like these images personally so I shared here.

My close friend close moved to the UK a year ago and she is very satisfied with her life there. She found business and the apartment in the short term and the only thing that is a little problem is a rent of the apartment, which can be solved with finding roommates.

My dream is moving to London for a few months to practice my language/writing skills. But in terms of a current housing shortage it still remains only a dream. Property prices in London are [FONT=&quot]ten times more expensive than in the other regions. Because of high profit from short-term lets it is becoming more and more difficult to find any decent long-term option. Look at the prices https://tranio.com/rent/united-kingdom/?order=price from 300 [/FONT]£ overnight. It is crazy

My dream is moving to London for a few months to practice my language/writing skills. But in terms of a current housing shortage it still remains only a dream. Property prices in London are ten times more expensive than in the other regions. Because of high profit from short-term lets it is becoming more and more difficult to find any decent long-term option. Look at the prices from 300 £ overnight. It is crazy

There is much more to the UK than London. If you want to practice language skills, you could do that very well in a provincial city like Birmingham, Bristol, Bath, Winchester - and have a very quick rail journey into London (about 1 hour) from these centres when you want to go sightseeing or shopping.

Much cheaper accommodation in the provinces too. If you wanted a house share - try Airbnb also Houseshare.com, but you can also access local advertising via regional papers' websites. A house share will be much cheaper than hotels or guest-houses. If you are staying for more than 6 months you can also consider renting a house or flat. Further from London (but admittedly less glamorous) are Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds etc where you can rent a flat from £300 a month.

Turn up with a sleeping bag, travel by coach, stay in Youth Hostels (yha.org.uk) and tour the country before sticking with somewhere you like. Give it a go!

The rent is London is insanely expensive. I'm not sure how close to the centre you want to live, but the further you go in, the higher the prices rise. You'd be better off looking at the South West of London - Clapham, Wimbledon, Fulham, those types of areas.

Yeah and they are coming out of EU now, so traveling prospects may be heavily limited. Overall good country to live at, but at the moment countries like NL or Switzerland are far superior when it comes to job prospects.

This thread has been viewed 21413 times.

Back