PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite Romance Language?

julia90
04-02-11, 02:33
What's your favourite Romance Language?

NB: IF YOUR MOTHERTONGUE IS A ROMANCE LANGUAGE DON'T VOTE FOR YOUR OWN MOTHERTONGUE, YOU HAVE TO VOTE FOR ANOTHER ROMANCE LANGUAGE

Give me your answer based on your preferences (being them: the sound, the culture the language express, it's literature, it's music, the thing it convey...etc...)

julia90
04-02-11, 02:37
This map could help you

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Romance_20c_en.png

julia90
05-02-11, 02:54
so, what's your favourite romance language?

^ lynx ^
05-02-11, 12:17
"Ladin" and "judeo-spanish" are two names for the same language. I don't get why that map showed them as different languages.

Greetings.

julia90
11-02-11, 01:11
number 13 Ladin is reto-romansh (spoken in northern italy and switzerland), it's not the same thing as ladino=judeo-spanish.
it's an omonim.

julia90
14-02-11, 23:47
i'll post different songs in romance languages, to give you an idea of their rispective sounds, musicalities, tones etc.. if you don't know yet.

Italian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLKnNXIDRzc&feature=fvst

Portuguese (Brazilian)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqao21cZ5nM

Spanish (Cuban)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r2SRLojlbE

French
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKgcKYTStMc

Romanian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhuTaD-B4qs

hangman
18-02-11, 20:48
so, what's your favourite romance language?

Italian and french. Kind regards.

Canek
28-06-11, 23:10
the great part of spanish versions of latin america. specially colombia/venezuela/peru or central america.

i like cuban people, but i do not like their spanish very much.

spanish from spain is the worst. sounds ugly, vulgar and harsh

Carlitos
28-06-11, 23:48
the great part of spanish versions of latin america. specially colombia/venezuela/peru or central america.

i like cuban people, but i do not like their spanish very much.

spanish from spain is the worst. sounds ugly, vulgar and harsh

Please, was the picture of his avatar in the carnivals of Rio de Janeiro?

iapetoc
28-06-11, 23:53
number 13 Ladin is reto-romansh (spoken in northern italy and switzerland), it's not the same thing as ladino=judeo-spanish.
it's an omonim.

hahaha the Lantino

have you heard them?

Navvaran + Hebrew

Franco
07-11-11, 03:18
Appart from my mother tongue, which is a Romance one I would say Mozarabic. Too bad it is a dead language now.

bator
13-03-13, 01:36
i would say latin which is the most logical with the reflexive genetive i think it is called, with e.g. suam

Anthro-inclined
13-03-13, 02:19
Sardinian is my choice, mainly for the possible paleosardinian substrate it contains. If you have never heard of this heres a link.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleo-Sardinian_language

Nobody1
13-03-13, 02:41
Occitan & Catalan are pretty cool languages, especially the sound of it.
Gallo-Italic langs. and Rhaeto-Romanic langs. on the other side are very hard to listen to, the Germans call it KauderWelsch because it literally sounds like a mumbling thats very suspicious.

Selwyn Greenfrith
15-03-13, 00:05
This map could help you

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Romance_20c_en.png

What I would most like to know about the posted map: Romance languages in Europe, is why the: languages d'oil HAVEN'T been split up into Parisian French, Walloon, Picard, Belgium French, Champenoise and Lorrain and so forth, like how the Langues d'oc have been split into sundry hued Occitan, Gascon, Arpitan and Catalan-Valecencian?

Seems like the crafty craftsmen behind this sneaky map want to make folks believe the only Romance language in Belgium is standard French! Either this or they are some tinpot outfit who are downright utterly unfit to have anything to do with linguistics.

Nordsee
01-05-13, 12:35
Latin. Sounds cool.

Cambrius (The Red)
01-05-13, 18:35
Probably French.

hope
01-05-13, 20:49
Italian and French.

adamo
01-05-13, 21:08
Italian and Portuguese, Portuguese sounds like a Neapolitan dialect though, slightly barbaric but very interesting in my opinion, I speak English French and italian but I personally dislike French.

LeBrok
02-05-13, 02:29
Italian and French.
Italian and French for me too. :)

Hal Fao
02-05-13, 23:40
Italian speech sounds like a song :)

Boss
04-05-13, 12:31
French. I don't know why but I think Italian sounds annoying (sorry guys!). Spanish is ok but I prefer French. I haven't heard anyone speaking Romanian so I don't really know what it sounds like.

As far as I know, Latin is not a Romance language. The languages that flow from (vulgar) Latin are Romance. But if Latin is acceptable, I'd choose Latin. Sounds so cool in liturgies at least :D. But French would still be a close second in this case.

hope
04-05-13, 22:26
Italian and French for me too. :)

Great minds and all that ! :laughing:

I actually like Sicilian also..[ which I know is different from Italian....]

hope
04-05-13, 22:27
French. I don't know why but I think Italian sounds annoying (sorry guys!). Spanish is ok but I prefer French. I haven't heard anyone speaking Romanian so I don't really know what it sounds like.

As far as I know, Latin is not a Romance language. The languages that flow from (vulgar) Latin are Romance. But if Latin is acceptable, I'd choose Latin. Sounds so cool in liturgies at least :D. But French would still be a close second in this case.

Boss I seem to remember you saying French sounded "gay" :)

julia90
05-05-13, 02:50
Italian speech sounds like a song :)
yes, maybe standard italian, but try the true italian, wich is regional, and our dialects.. Many don't seem songs.. Try tuscan regional way of speaking that is often harsh; the southern italians dialect of campanian-apulian derivation that can sound guttural, some northern italian dialect are are more more musical, but then again no, bergamasc sound not musical,
standard italian in quotidian Life is only spoken from central latium to the po plain with the exception of triveneto and many areas in piedmont; in all this other areas they speak its own languages-dialects true languages

zanipolo
05-05-13, 10:35
yes, maybe standard italian, but try the true italian, wich is regional, and our dialects.. Many don't seem songs.. Try tuscan regional way of speaking that is often harsh; the southern italians dialect of campanian-apulian derivation that can sound guttural, some northern italian dialect are are more more musical, but then again no, bergamasc sound not musical,
standard italian in quotidian Life is only spoken from central latium to the po plain with the exception of triveneto and many areas in piedmont; in all this other areas they speak its own languages-dialects true languages

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Romance-lg-classification-en.png

link above is another format.

- note , Catalan falls in with occitan and not Spanish

- Romansh, ladin and friuli are tied in with FP ( Franco-provenzal)

- western romance branch and a southern romance branch and ...also a Balkan branch

- venetian and istrian are separated from the other northern Italian branches

- there is even the very old dalmatian which is extinct now

Boss
05-05-13, 15:21
Boss I seem to remember you saying French sounded "gay" :)

Yeah, so? gays are very cool :)

hope
05-05-13, 19:02
Yeah, so? gays are very cool :)

I thought we were talking about languages here, not people.
In an earlier post you said you did not like French, "because it sounds gay". I was merely wondering, in an attempt at conversation, why you now liked it.
No matter....I`m no longer interested :)

Boss
05-05-13, 20:47
I thought we were talking about languages here, not people.
In an earlier post you said you did not like French, "because it sounds gay". I was merely wondering, in an attempt at conversation, why you now liked it.
No matter....I`m no longer interested :)

Haha I am sure I didn't say I dislike French. Seriously, I may have said it sounds gay (as in colourful) and it does but that doesn't at all mean I dislike it!!! In fact, I am sure I said I am studying French and am very interested in French culture in general.

gervais
06-05-13, 05:54
What I would most like to know about the posted map: Romance languages in Europe, is why the: languages d'oil HAVEN'T been split up into Parisian French, Walloon, Picard, Belgium French, Champenoise and Lorrain and so forth, like how the Langues d'oc have been split into sundry hued Occitan, Gascon, Arpitan and Catalan-Valecencian?

Seems like the crafty craftsmen behind this sneaky map want to make folks believe the only Romance language in Belgium is standard French! Either this or they are some tinpot outfit who are downright utterly unfit to have anything to do with linguistics.

Maybe the Walloon is a little different from other dialects of the langue d'oil, but otherwise it's very similar.
The langue d'oil is essentially an old French, still spoken in the French countryside, but which will disappear soon!
Rising regionalism in France in the twentieth century gave the idea that the different dialects were regional languages: Norman, Gallo, Lorrain ect ..
But this is nonsense ...

julia90
06-05-13, 12:57
To the French speakers, this is in piedomontese dialect, do you like it, find many simlarities with your language?

gervais
06-05-13, 16:11
To the French speakers, this is in piedomontese dialect, do you like it, find many simlarities with your language?

I do not think the Piedmontese resembles to the French ..
Perhaps Occitan
For me, Occitan is looks like Spanish ...
youtube.com/watch?v=IqJk8hJwu-Y (*)

The French words are etymologically Latin, but I think, phonetically, does not look like the other Romance languages..

(*) Je ne peux pas mettre de lien car je n'ai pas encore poster 10 messages: c'est trop nul!

adamo
06-05-13, 16:28
Portuguese is disgusting actually lol my bad, te best is italian, the rest I don't like

julia90
06-05-13, 19:51
I do not think the Piedmontese resembles to the French ..
Perhaps Occitan
For me, Occitan is looks like Spanish ...
youtube.com/watch?v=IqJk8hJwu-Y (*)

The French words are etymologically Latin, but I think, phonetically, does not look like the other Romance languages..

(*) Je ne peux pas mettre de lien car je n'ai pas encore poster 10 messages: c'est trop nul!

i think northern italian dialects resemble more french d'oil than castillan spanish

althought yes, more langue d oc
the piedmontese i posted is near franco provenzal

this one is in Genoese, similar to costal provenzal maybe?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlukK5-WZN8

adamo
06-05-13, 21:55
French can be very similar to italian in most cases; I found it easy to learn FrenchFrench

Selwyn Greenfrith
07-05-13, 00:14
Maybe the Walloon is a little different from other dialects of the langue d'oil, but otherwise it's very similar.
The langue d'oil is essentially an old French, still spoken in the French countryside, but which will disappear soon!
Rising regionalism in France in the twentieth century gave the idea that the different dialects were regional languages: Norman, Gallo, Lorrain ect ..
But this is nonsense ...

But one could say that Gascon, Occitan, Catalan and Arpitan tungs are nearer to eachother within the Ocian club than Walloon is to standard French within the Oilian club. Anyway, I think somewhere deep down inside, you acknowledge that mapmakers have mismatched up the Walloon tung with standard Oilly French. PS has a French speaker can you understand Normandy Norman?

Jayc
27-06-13, 11:02
I personally am fond of French.

Estel
29-12-13, 12:51

Catalan/Valencian, Occitan or even Gascon in Aran have old standardized versions used officially in institutions, literature, education, in the media and in the street. Catalan and Occitan have been regarded as different languages already since the Middle Ages.

Can we say the same about all the languages d'oil? Some of them, like Champenois, are hardly spoken, and speakers of them don't even regard them as languages, but dialects or patois.

But one could say that Gascon, Occitan, Catalan and Arpitan tungs are nearer to eachother within the Ocian club than Walloon is to standard French within the Oilian club. Anyway, I think somewhere deep down inside, you acknowledge that mapmakers have mismatched up the Walloon tung with standard Oilly French. PS has a French speaker can you understand Normandy Norman?

Catalan, Gascon and Occitan belong to one same group, but Arpitan? Not really. Unless we talk about the Gallo-Romance group and then include Arpitan but also the Oil and Rhaeto-Padanian (North Italian) languages in it.

Xochi
06-08-14, 06:41
The best sounding Romance language in my opinion is French.

roseroser
08-08-14, 14:48
italian ;)

koni
07-10-14, 23:35
Italian and Portuguese, Portuguese sounds like a Neapolitan dialect though, slightly barbaric but very interesting in my opinion, I speak English French and italian but I personally dislike French.

I agree, Portuguese sounds barbaric and hearing the music genre Fado we can feel it: http://youtu.be/jPjmBt6d4GE

John Doe
08-10-14, 07:04
I agree, Portuguese sounds barbaric and hearing the music genre Fado we can feel it: http://youtu.be/jPjmBt6d4GE

Portuguese sounds like Hungarian/Turkish/Persian to me.

Angela
08-10-14, 21:23
I agree, Portuguese sounds barbaric and hearing the music genre Fado we can feel it:

I emphatically disagree. Portuguese is a lovely sounding language, and Fado is a superlative and beautiful art form.

It is beyond me how anyone could think that this isn't a marvel of music, language, and performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoEZB0XvEZQ

It has been cut off...this is the direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoEZB0XvEZQ
Or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8XUrKZSyBw

Gratuitous insults about the language and culture of others doesn't diminish the objects of the attack, they diminish the people who make the comments.

Also, anyone who has any familiarity with the Romance languages should recognize instantly that Portuguese is, and sounds like, a Romance language. Any speaker of Italian, for example, who has any aptitude at all for languages, (and I speak from experience) can pick it up in a matter of months.

TrickleDownEffect
04-12-14, 12:42
French and Italian

individual1st
22-03-15, 01:27
I love the French language.

RobertColumbia
23-07-15, 03:32

I can read written Portuguese fairly well (via studying Spanish) but I can't make heads or tails of it being spoken.

I voted for Romanian because of its unusual history as a Romance language in a Slavic milieu, seemingly away over there by its lonesome while the other Romance languages cluster around each other.

mihaitzateo
23-07-15, 23:09
I like Wallon as much as Romanian,but it was not during the options of the thread.

mihaitzateo
23-07-15, 23:13
I can read written Portuguese fairly well (via studying Spanish) but I can't make heads or tails of it being spoken.

I voted for Romanian because of its unusual history as a Romance language in a Slavic milieu, seemingly away over there by its lonesome while the other Romance languages cluster around each other.

Romanians are Latinized dacian (which were either closed to slavic or balto-slavic) people.
Over which another recent Slavic influence came.Over which French came ,brought at around 1850 with new words.
Romanian sounds so awesome because it has besides the Romance sonority,a strong influence from Eastern Slavic sonority.

mihaitzateo
24-07-15, 13:52
Romanian have 3 main styles of stressing words,Muntenia way of speaking ,which is also the official way.
Transilvania (Ardeal) way of speaking and Moldavia way of speaking.
Moldavian have a strong melody and more pronounced influence of how words are pronounced from Russian/Ukrainian.
Ardelenian way of speaking is very slow and resemble the way in which South Swedes are speaking.
What you have in the song put here is the way in which people from Muntenia are speaking.

Here a song in Romanian ,but with Moldavian way of speaking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqokufyf-DM

Piro Ilir
24-07-15, 14:56
I like Italian. Especially south Italian dialects

vandalorum
24-07-15, 23:01
français québécois with strong english accent, if pronunciation, if listen- portuguese: https://youtu.be/BgQeJ6BqRLI

Serena
09-06-16, 09:34
I didn't expect that Spanish would be that popular :)

srdceleva
10-07-16, 00:37
my favorite romance language is Italian. though i love spanish and i know it better than italian, i think italian is beautful and not so quick and choppy like spanish, though i love spanish and think its beutiful too. French can also be very beautiful but i cant pronounce it so well, maybe thats why i dont like it, but its nice. Portuguese is interesting but it sounds like they are whining all the time and can get on your nerves. Romanian is intersting but can sound a bit rough. Latin was the best romance language though, a perfect mix of beauty and strength

Korbyn
10-07-16, 00:38
Romanian, followed by French.

Foxhall
01-08-16, 14:26
I can't choose French so I'm gonna go with Italian

Foxhall
01-08-16, 14:28
And if you count Latin, then it has to be my absolute favorite.

Sybilla
08-09-16, 21:55
I go with Romanian.

MaxCRO
25-10-16, 15:29
Spanish is such a spirited language . My favorite by far.

Pax Augusta
25-10-16, 16:17
I can't choose Italian so I'm gonna go with French.

mc555
11-11-16, 20:12
Definetly spanish...my favorite is spanish from Spain, I love the pronounciation although most of the time they speak so fast I can't even register the words

tcab83
08-02-17, 20:25
In general, I like the sound of most if not all romance languages, and Latin itself. That said, it is hard for me to pick just one language or to go even further, one dialect, that pleases my auditory sense. Therefore, I will say that Ligurian, Lengadocian Occitan, Vivao-Aupenc Occitan, Venetian, Mirandese, and Sardinian are my favorite.

ROS
12-02-17, 21:08
Me gusta el espaol pues siendo (creo que no hay duda) un lenguaje indoeuropeo, los sonidos se corresponden con las letras del alfabeto, es curioso.

Me he equivocado ya que el Espaol es mi lengua materna, bueno entonces voto por el Italiano.

medic
29-03-17, 14:17
My favorite romance language that I like the most is, French because even when you don't understand what they are saying it just sounds romantic once you talk to them. The language I find more useful for me has to be, Italian because it is a language that is easier for me to understand than others.

amenhotep
13-04-17, 18:10
i choose spanish from spain

harena
22-05-17, 13:38
French. I feel other Romance languages have too many unnecessary syllables per word.

Apsurdistan
22-05-17, 16:46
Romanian and Italian. Because they're more similar to my mother tounge and I think they sound better than Spanish and French. And French sounds more interesting than Spanish.

njuan98
31-05-17, 17:26
Probably because the languages d'oil was standardized very soon not allowing a strong dialectalisation in future times, meanwhile, in Occitan as it never enjoyed legal recognisment nor teaching it did, now a days there is people who still would argue occtian is not a language, that proveçal is one and aquitan another one... also, occitan engulfed territory where basque(pre-indoeuropean) was spoken causing already a division in the language..∫

njuan98
31-05-17, 17:28
I'm a Catalan speaker so i'll choose my closest relative, OCCITAN :)

njuan98
31-05-17, 17:50
Just to be clear, i Know italian is ( or it has been at least) a very fragmented language where Northerners couldnt understand Southerns until the radio was introduced and standard italian was created... but! im a bit puzzled, there is people who fiercely holds is Sicilian or Napolitan really are totally separate languages from those in the north. I know catalan, spanish and french but not italian, so i dont have really my own opinion :/ are they just simply strong dialects?

Źıun
31-05-17, 21:27
Romanian, most exotic out of them.

Pyromancer
23-06-17, 14:06
French is my favorite Romance language.

tivali
27-07-17, 19:18
Italian. It sounds the best to me and I love it. I also think Romanian is rather pretty. Was never a fan of Spanish for reasons I struggle to put into words, but I don't hate it; French always sounded to me like they never closed their mouth to me.

Norditaliano
28-04-18, 13:27
I like Romansh.

brick
30-04-18, 17:09
French followed by Italian, Spanish and Portuguese.

Balkan1992
10-05-18, 10:03
Spanish, romanian, aromanian.

italouruguayan
19-05-18, 19:14
I like Italian and some dialects, especially Venetian ( my mothertongue is Spanish).

Cato
19-05-18, 20:11
Occitanian, the language of the troubadours

Utilizzando Tapatalk

Rethel
20-11-18, 21:10
It is too much for me to say "favourite" but if I have to picked someone,
then it will be castillian. I always liked the sounding of spanish, idk why.
Other languages, similar to italian and french are too weired. And as I
like many things about France and Italy, then one thing always was too
weired for me - the sounding of languages. Spanish is quite different.

gidai
22-11-18, 11:35
Maybe I'm mistaken being a Romanian speaker, but it seems to me that the Romanian language sounds more like Portuguese.