Languages, haplogroups, and tribes

how yes no 2

Reaction score
Idea is to take a meaning and compare related words in different languages of today and see whether the word correlates with spread of some haplogroup or tribal group....

emphasis should be on words that must have been important in ancient past...

e.g. tower

haplogroup E

kula - Macedonian & Bulgarian
kullë/ kala - Albanian
kule/kale - Turkish
kula - also exist in Serbian & Croatian but is more archaic middle age related...

haplogroup I
toranj - Serbian & Croatian
torn - Swedish
tårn - Norwegian
turn - Icelandic
torni - Finish
tårn - Danish
toren - Dutch
turn - Romanian
torn - Estonian
tornis - Latvian

festung / turm - German
fastingstorn - Swedish

haplogroup R1b
twr - Welsh
tower - English

torre - Spanish / Catalan /Portuguese / Italian
tour - French
túr - Irish
dorrea - Basque

dar/tar = encampment, camp - Berberic languages (according to http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showpost.php?p=363410&postcount=9)

haplogroup R1a

věž - Czech
veža - Slovak
vieža - Belorusian
wieża / baszta - Polish
vezha /bashta - Ukrainian
bashnya - Russian

local words

bokštas - Lihuanian

stolp - Slovenian

pýrgos - Greek

koshki - Georgian

Mīnāra - Hindi

ashtarak - Armenian

How yes now

The Greek Pyrgos is the Light House that is quarded and fortified,
the Greek Tower as Fortification is -Issa or -Ida or -Intha
to explain it better
Pyrgos is a fortication that holds Fire light,
If light is on Then is OK if light is Off then something goes wrong,
the fortification that has defending Walls and towers is -Issa -Ida - Intha - iza
(Edessa - Larissa - Tyrintha)
also a quarding tower to watch area is Phylakai
the quarding tower to support defence is Kelli- Celli
to understand it the approach is
the main defence is acropolis, the -issa etc
The peripheral defence is The wall suported by (De)Celleia (tenth tower)
the pre-defence is Phylakai that Alarms area,
The Pyrgos is the Tower that Alarms by setting or hide Fire signals,
also Pyrgos is the last defence point, If fire of Pyrgos is out then battle is lost,
The fire of Pyrgos is like today Flag.
The Greek word is also Celli as you down

The tower that holds Fire has 2 names
1 is Phanos-Pharos the lighting house
2 is Pyrgos the qurded lighting house that connects with city defense

It is remarkable that the word Τσαλλι Calli is in Pontian Greek language as also in Ionic
we know that Ionic named the strong fortifications Calli, probably from -essa
Calli is probably ancient Thracian or Persian word, cause it was used By Mithridates
as also the Ionic cities Calli-polis(fortifiedcity) - Calla-Vria (Callabressa= fortified castle), although many Greek linguists connect it with PIE Kallos = beauty
as an example lets see city Trebizond- Trapezus
Trape is the Geometrical
Zus from soessa - Trapessoessa-> Trapezus
but the monasteries before that name was given to them was Cellia (κελλια)
the word Celli exists in Modern Greek as Κελλι
watch the word Κελλυφος -> the fortified armor of an animal like turtles bone

the possibility that Celli-Kulla comes from the Same word is obvious,

Probably the words
Kulla
Kale
Kule
Celli

comes from far ancient Pelasgian or Lelegian or Persian and split to Thracian satem and Thyrrenian centum
or from PIE language
the Latin has similar the Cell or shell

greek kelli in latin is cell
Greek kelyfos in Latin is shell

Pyrgos comes from Pyr and Cell
Pyr + celli in hand is Pyrsos = torch
Pyr+ Calli as tower is Pyrgos
That is why the Lighting House is Pharos, cause it was not fortified
(not Calli)

Now in Wich Haplogroup Calli belong as Language, it is for you to Decide
But I believe Belongs to Thyrrenian Family language
Means either J2 either E either I2a
And Turkish are not major E Haplogroup

kullë/ kala - Albanian
kule/kale - Turkish
kula - also exist in Serbian & Croatian but is more archaic middle age related...
Albvanian, Serbian, Greek, Byulgarian, and other Balkan languages have a lot of Turk borrowings, so KULLA is a turk word.

Then Kulla has not any link to Haplogroup E.

Even, you must divide, nations, which came here during 7-th century, South Slavis peoples, they did'nt live here in the time when Haplogroup E evolved.

Two languages which existed here in ancient times are Greek and Albanian, which are still live languages.

As for Pyrgos, it is pelasgian word. In albanian Burg means "prison" (I am not sure, in serbian it is "Zatvor"), and it is because the prisons in Albanian "Kulla" was in the groundfloor. Even it is related to German Burg (Hamburg, Luxemburg) which means city, and city is again related to Kulla, which is nothing else than a small castle.

Neander still wrong

You haven't even read what I write

Kulla calli Kalle is pelasgic not turkish

as turkish YΟΚ is pelasgic OYΚ

cause if Kulla is Turkish then CallaBresse were turks

Even if Pyrgos is IE GErman Burg Albanian Burg,

Then Callabressa Calltaza Callipolis does not mean Fortified
the kelli in Modern Greek comes from ancient Thyrrenian and is similar to Latin cell
witch in Satem LAnguages becomes Kell and Calli - Kalle

iapetoc, I accept your suggestion and correct mapping to haplogroups of words with meaning 'tower' in following way:

haplogroups E & J & (I2a?)

Calli/ Kelli / Celli /Celleia Greek
kullë/ kala - Albanian
kule/kale - Turkish
kula - in Serbian & Croatian it is related to tower of middle age fortress, thus military term...

haplogroup I
toranj - Serbian & Croatian -word is used for modern towers and civil ones...
torn - Swedish
tårn - Norwegian
turn - Icelandic
torni - Finish
tårn - Danish
toren - Dutch
turn - Romanian
torn - Estonian
tornis - Latvian

festung / turm - German
fastingstorn - Swedish

haplogroup R1b
twr - Welsh
tower - English

torre - Spanish / Catalan /Portuguese / Italian
tour - French
túr - Irish
dorrea - Basque

dar/tar = encampment, camp - Berberic languages (according to http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showpos...10&postcount=9)

haplogroup R1a

věž - Czech
veža - Slovak
vieža - Belorusian
wieża / baszta - Polish
vezha /bashta - Ukrainian
bashnya - Russian

local words

bokštas - Lihuanian

stolp - Slovenian (btw. this is word alike to word for pillar in other Slavic languages)

koshki - Georgian

Mīnāra - Hindi

ashtarak - Armenian

key thing is to choose words used by man as this is about YDNA
so military terms are the best...

next word - fortress

R1b old
gotorleku - Basque

haplogroup R1b
fortress - English
forteresse - French
fortetsya - Ukrainian (? not much R1b there)
fortalesa - Catalan
fortaleza - Spanish/Portuguese
fortezza - Italian
fortăreaţă - Romanian
fort - Dutch/Swedish

haplogroup I
vesting - Dutch
fästning - Swedish
Festung - German
fæstning - Danish
festning - Norwegian

?
froúrio - Greek
virkið - Icelandic
var - Hungarian (2nd term, 1st is erőd)

kindlus - Estonian

castellum - Latin

cietoksnis - Latvian

R1a
krepasć - Belorussian
krepostʹ - Russian
krepost - Bulgarian

haplogroup E/J
kale - Turkish
kala - Albanian

?
pevnosť - Slovak
pevnost - Czech

I2a2
tvrdina - Macedonian (possible coin of "tvrd" (hard/strong) + din (Celtic ending for settlement)
tvrdjava -serbo-croatian ( possible coin of "tvrd" (hard/strong) + dava (dacian ending for settlement)
trdnjava - Slovenian
tvirtovė - Lithuanian (? no I2a2 there)

?
gaer - Welsh

erőd - Hungarian
berd - Armenian (reminds of "berg" - hill in german and "breg"/"brdo" -hill in Slavic, I mention it because fortresses were on hills)

ts’ikhe - Georgian

linnoitus - Finish

Last edited:
Interesting thread, good idea how yes no.

Ukrainian Fortetsya and Polish Forteca is foreign, probably from Latin fortis - strong.
The proper west Slavic word should be grod/grud, it means surrounded with walls.
Probably Hungarian erod is related, look how much R1a is there. In Poland twierdza is used, similar to tvirtove (Lithuanian) probably roots from hard/twardy. We also use words Var and Zamek with similar meanings.

If you have time, I wouldn't mind if you look up also words like cow, horse, sword, axe, home, milk, honey, head, eye, head, father, brother. I think these are important once for indoeuropeans. And off course I missed a lot of important ones. :)

Le Brok thanks for adding Polish words for fortress...
I somehow forgot to search for them....

btw. you can also search for words...
it is easy... go to google translate and switch languages... in no time you get words for all european languages....

twierdza is same group with south Slavs and Lithuanian...I did put it in I2a2 but it is questionable as Lithuanians do not have much or any I2a2...

grod and var might be R1a words as they are shared with Magyars who I believe were also R1a people...

I have an idea, maybe not a bad one. :)

Let's group words in relation to known groups of people that Europe is build of. One group would be related to agriculturalists from south, other to herders/domesticated animals from east, yet another one to sea people. Other groupings of words could be body parts, geography/toponyms, and of course warrior vocabulary.
The idea is that if you take one word then who knows how it evolved and could be misleading. For grouping of words we could get some statistical trend.

For example for agriculturalists we should find words like field, seed, harvest, hoe, plow, wagon, wheat, water etc.
For herders: cow, grass/meadow, milk, pig, horse etc.
For warriors: sword, axe, horse, wagon, shield, battle, hero etc
For sea people: ship, sea, wave, port, ore etc
For toppings: river, mountain, forest, tree or names of trees.
Settlements: village, fortess, road
Body parts: main ones.
Social events: wedding, burial
Religious: name gods.
...I'm sure I missed something important. :)

We are probably looking at 100 words or so, but if we keep it updating for many languages and for many months, maybe we could discover something interesting. I hope all community will chip in and make this project going and interesting.

Interesting thread, good idea how yes no.

Ukrainian Fortetsya and Polish Forteca is foreign, probably from Latin fortis - strong.

Well... Let's see... I told you you're a clown.

The examples that you give are not from Latin, not even probably.
The three languages you mention have 1 common older language.

The Romans didn't even use the word fortis in the names of their strongholds.
More names like Castra Vetera, Mosa Trajectum and such.

But there are Germanic tribes that used the word, like the Franks.. Frankfurt.

Here is an example how I envisioned it. Of course we will correct, extend and expand it. It would be nice to find old Greek, German, English, and old Slav words.

I'm not sure how to display this table correctly in this window. I'm trying to paste and the table is loosing the structure. Everything is posted in one raw.

Attachments

• WARRIOR VOCABULARY.doc
    146.5 KB · Views: 101
While I must say that this idea is rather neat and interesting (though I doubt that a correlation with genetics is actually possible), the main problem is that it's not that a good idea to look at modern languages. It might be much more interesting to look at for instance Gothic than German (or perhaps both for the sake of completeness). Likewise, taking a look at Gaulish and Sanskrit would be useful. On the other hand, what I wanted to add, for instance there's actually a cognate for "Knife" in German, namely "Knippchen" (or "Kneipchen", depending on the dialect), which is a colloqial word for knife.

Another aspect is that you might want to consider is that meanings of words may change, but cognates nontheless still exist, albeit with a shifted meaning. For instance, the Gaulish word for horse is "Epos", but the cognates in modern Welsh ("Ebol") and Breton ("Ebeul") actually mean 'foal'.

Exactly, the long shot would be to find the oldest words in main language groups. My table is just a rough example and starting point. It's a long shot and probably nothing useful will turn out, but it could be fun if many members here take part.
I'm not sure what form and what program to use to make these tables interactive and accessible for all in easy way?

Serbian and general South Slavic word for mountain-planina.
Etimology- root *pel-. as words plonina in polish and polonina in ukraine meaning something what is full ( not empty).
The same root as nordic Fjell in the same meaning-mountain.

In other slavic languages word for mountain is Gora or Hora.

Though all this etimology could be from Indoeuropeans.
Probably all this words have same root: full, blue, field, plenty and serbian puno(polno), plavo, polje with the same meaning as in English.

One more interesting etimology is that of Slavic word for fish- riba.
It is found only in slavic languages and probably isn't indoeuropean.
There is explanation that it is connected with german word for caterpillar- Raupe.
If the paleolithic Europeans had word for fish, could it be something close to -riba.
Bask word for fish is arrain. The most interesting thing is that Sardinian word for caterpillar is- ruga. It is well known fact that sardinian is most conservative romance language with so called pre latin sardinian substratum. It is also well known fact that Sardinia is predominantly I2a1.
Just to mention that probable root for slavic riba is ri(a,e,o,u)+ba, like žaba(frog) ža+ ba.

*Basque ozpil "fresh place »/ Sardinian (Nuoro region) ozpil « fresh place »
*Sardinian (Nuoro region) gorru "red"/ basque gorri « red »
*Corsican zerru “pork”/ Basque zerri “pork”

*Basque ibar « river mouth, valley » :
==>Spain : Ebro river, Iberian people
==>Germany: more than 80 villages names with the prefix “eber”

*Basque (h)aran “valley”:
==>England: Arundel
==>Norway: Arendal
==> Germany: Villages with the prefix “Arn”

user_offline.gif

*Basque : behi « cow » and behor « mare » from*beh- « female animal »/ bourouchaski behé «female animal»
*Basque: hagin « teeth » / hunzib (north east Caucasus) hagin « teeth»
*Basque : bizar « beard » / dravidian : isal « moustache »
*Basque: ile « hair » / dravidian ile « hair »
*the word wine is all over in europe derived from *wain (greek woinos, latin. vinum, breton gwin…)which is close to the proto-semitic form. Basque has completely different word ardan- « wine, grape vine » which is close to Davidian (ardn "berry").
*Dravidian guti,kuti "small" / Basque guti "few, small".
*Basque eme « female » and ar « male » / Mongol eme « female » / ar « male »
*the Dragon in the Basque mythology is called “Herensuge” with “suge” meaning snake=> the dragon “Erenkyl” in the Yakut Mythology with “Kyl” meaning snake

Another aspect is that you might want to consider is that meanings of words may change, but cognates nontheless still exist, albeit with a shifted meaning. For instance, the Gaulish word for horse is "Epos", but the cognates in modern Welsh ("Ebol") and Breton ("Ebeul") actually mean 'foal'.

Fair enough. A sort of reverse example is 'equus' for horse being dropped for most puposes and 'caval'(from caballus), which means 'nag' or a less than perfect specimen (of horse), finding its way into the vernacular for referring to a horse in general.

This thread has been viewed 93087 times.

Back