Italian names,interesting?

kgnju

Reaction score
I find many ancient Roman names had --us in the end,Julius,Cornelius,Marius,Crassus for example.But their offsprings liike Italians' name lost --us,--i instead,Maldini,Tassotti,Lippi, for example.So what the reason?

I find many ancient Roman names had --us in the end,Julius,Cornelius,Marius,Crassus for example. But their offsprings liike Italians' name lost --us,--i instead,Maldini,Tassotti,Lippi, for example.So what the reason?

Although modern Italian is the living language most close to ancient Latin, it is different.

During and after the fall of the Roman Empire the Italian Peninsula was invaded several times, received a lot cultural (i.e. linguistics) influences from other parts of Europe. Besides, many parts nowadays Italia were somehow isolated from one another during the low middle ages, giving rise to more linguistic divergence. Althogh finally a varity of particular regions impossed itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_language

For what I know, not until the 19th century was Italia a whole country again (Garibaldi).

I don't know the exact path that lead to the current most common names. I don't know if even the Italians could answer that.

Regards.

P.S.

(Could you post your Nick in Hanzi? I like the Chinese logograms, they are cool ;) )

modern italian lost declinations.

-us is the nominative declination of the second declination class (it indicates the subject)

singular
-us nominative
-i genitive
-o dative
-um accusative
-e vocative
-o ablative

plural
-i n.
-orum g.
-is d.
-os a.
-i v.
-is a.

that's why modern italian uses prepositions and not declinations

do exist in chinese standard or in its dialects the declinations?

Well... is a queston for @Kgnju...

However I have heard that, so like many native English speakers complain about how heavily inflected are other languages like Russian, French or German... Chinese students of English complain that "English is a so heavily inflected language". :LOL:

Regards.

Thank you for your answer!I am not good at language so maybe my answer is not correct.As I know,Chinese PINGYING didn't change much since 2000years ago.:unsure:

do exist in chinese standard or in its dialects the "declinations" ?
=

是否有 “变格” 在漢語語法?

变格 --> 变格是指名词代词冠词形容词在句子中为了实现特定的语法功能而产生的词形变化。

=

是否有 “变格” 在漢語語法?

变格 --> 变格是指在句子中为了实现特定的语法功能而产生的词形变化。
汉语是一种孤立语,依靠副词改变语义,不存在变格,不象印欧语言那样。BTW:You are really good at Chinese.(y)

汉语是一种孤立语,依靠副词改变语�� �,不存在变格,不象印欧语言那样。

--> Chinese is an "isolating" language, more based in adverbs, ... there are not many changes, in oposition to the indoeropean languages.

B TW:You are really good at Chinese

Oh, "Google Translator" is the one that's good at Chinese. :embarassed: :embarassed:

(But I have momorized quite a few Hanzis, if that counts).

Regards.

This thread has been viewed 9795 times.

Back