Are the EU entry rules too low? (World Vision related)

Elias2

Reaction score
I've always thought that the EU entry rules and standards were too low for countries to join, but what I saw right now made my jaw drop. I was searching the world vision website to see how much it would cost to sponsor a child (I'm going to cancel my greenpeace donations cause they don't do anything), with the idea I would find a child somwhere in africa, but you can actually sponsor a child from Romania and Albania! Albania is a pretty backwater country but Romania? arn't they in the EU already? what standards does the EU have nowadays?

http://www.worldvision.org/content.nsf/sponsor/sponsor-romania?Open&lpos=lft_txt_Romania

we should wait more before opening to new countries.
with the exception of iceland and croatia who have a rich economy.

I've always thought that the EU entry rules and standards were too low for countries to join, but what I saw right now made my jaw drop. I was searching the world vision website to see how much it would cost to sponsor a child (I'm going to cancel my greenpeace donations cause they don't do anything), with the idea I would find a child somwhere in africa, but you can actually sponsor a child from Romania and Albania! Albania is a pretty backwater country but Romania? arn't they in the EU already? what standards does the EU have nowadays?

First of all, what does Greenpeace have to do with children's rights ? They fight to protect the environment and animals, not human beings.

To the point now. Romania is indeed a poor country (poorer than Turkey for example). Some rural areas are much poorer than Bucharest, so if you look at the bottom end of the scale you will find abject poverty. But the same is true in many rich countries too, including the USA, where 14% of the population lives under the poverty line and hundreds of thousands of people are destitute. (=> see Poverty in the United States).

One of the main reason for allowing Romania to join the EU is to help the country improve economically and to pressure it to reform its badly corrupted political system.

This thread has been viewed 6174 times.

Back