St Delcambre

Reaction score
Ethnic group
French (Nord region) ancestry
Y-DNA haplogroup
I1a3a1c
mtDNA haplogroup
U2e1a
My 23andme results list me as Haplogroup I1*. At first I didn't even notice the asterisk and didn't think it had any significant meaning but apparently it's something different than I1? Can anyone please explain exactly what I1* means? Any information would be appreciated.

My 23andme results list me as Haplogroup I1*. At first I didn't even notice the asterix and didn't think it had any significant meaning but apparently it's something different than I1? Can anyone please explain exactly what I1* means? Any information would be appreciated.

Why did you scroll the text?

Anyway, the asterisk (not Asterix) means that no further subclade is known. Although I1 is a young haplogroup already, it does have known subclades, see ISOGG. But since you have an asterisk, that indicates that you do not fit into any of those. You may be able to run your results through a predictor in order to determine if you fit any existing I1* clusters, like I1*-AS or whatever Nordtvedt has defined. See if your STR values are close to anyone at the FTDNA Project.

Thank you for the help Sparkey. I apologize for the misspelling and accidental scrolling (not sure how that happened). I will run the predictor and see what comes up. Out of curiosity, do you happen to know how quickly new subclades seem to pop up and also what the potential limit to their numbers is?

Thank you for the help Sparkey. I apologize for the misspelling and accidental scrolling (not sure how that happened). I will run the predictor and see what comes up. Out of curiosity, do you happen to know how quickly new subclades seem to pop up and also what the potential limit to their numbers is?

I don't believe we are close to the bounds of being able to find new SNP values, but if we ever start running out, I1 is a good candidate to be one of the first to run out, because it is so young. Just look at how far to the right that arrow head is. I'm not sure about the specifics of how many SNPs could be left to go, though.

Researchers are the ones to find new SNPs that define new subclades, although the hobbyist community has really been driving it with FTDNA's Walk Through the Y Project. I1 has recently found new SNP L338 that has divided I1*-AS into L338+ and L338-, with the L338+ becoming new subclade I1f. Similarly, I2 has found new SNPs that are likely to cause I2*-ADR to become I2c. Someone from my I2* cluster, I2*-A, is currently doing a Walk Through the Y, which will hopefully turn up new SNPs for my cluster.

Predictor shows (I-M253-T2 =>28%) (I-M253-T13 =>28%) (I-M253-ASgen =>25%) as highest percentages. I thought thought these subclades were simply named I1a, I1b, I1c, etc... In other words I'm not sure what the subclade results I got actually mean.

Predictor shows (I-M253-T2 =>28%) (I-M253-T13 =>28%) (I-M253-ASgen =>25%) as highest percentages. I thought thought these subclades were simply named I1a, I1b, I1c, etc... In other words I'm not sure what the subclade results I got actually mean.

"I-M253" means I1. The things after I-M253 are the clusters assigned on the FTDNA Project. "ASgen" is the "Anglo-Saxon generic" cluster, that is, I1*-AS. If you go on the FTDNA Project, find "I1 generic (I1-AS (generic))" to see people with that one (there are lots). T2 is another cluster, a smaller one, that I'm not too familiar with, you'd have to research it. I think it is also I1*. T13 is a cluster within I1d, not I1*.

haplogroup i1a

Could somebody tell me the origins of haplogroup i1a.I think that it is germanic but i dont know for sure.

This thread has been viewed 13677 times.

Back