Alexander the great

kgnju

Reaction score
Which HG Could Alexander the great most probably be?Thank you!

The only way to know Alexander The Greats haplogroup is to have a complete published genealogy of one of his known male direct line desendants without any generation gaps. Then there is a possiblility of arriving at a haplogroup.

Melsuine

Alexander the Great was buried in Alexandria but the remains have been missing since antiquity, I think. Alexander's father, Phillip II of Macedon's tomb was found in 1977 in Vergina, Greece and the Larnax containing (supposedly) his bones is currently in the museum at Vergina but I don't know if they have been tested for DNA.

Alexander came from an area where today we see a lot of Y-DNA haplogroup diversity. Predicting his haplogroup with any confidence is not really possible at the moment.

Based on modern distributions, he may have been E1b1b, J2, R1a, or R1b. But there are other possibilities, and I wouldn't assign likelihoods.

Alexander came from an area where today we see a lot of Y-DNA haplogroup diversity. Predicting his haplogroup with any confidence is not really possible at the moment.

Based on modern distributions, he may have been E1b1b, J2, R1a, or R1b. But there are other possibilities, and I wouldn't assign likelihoods.

Well, can we find out what Zeus' haplogroup was?

According to Olympias, he was a more likely candidate to have been Alexander's father.

Well, can we find out what Zeus' haplogroup was?

According to Olympias, he was a more likely candidate to have been Alexander's father.

Haplogroup Z it is, then. :LOL:

Seeing that I have officially wrecked this thread, I apologize.

But since the damage is already done, I offer the question of whom would one choose to meet if one was able, Olympias or Roxanne?

I would have to go with Roxanne. The man had marriage offers thrown at him from all sides, but he chose her.

Seeing that I have officially wrecked this thread, I apologize.

But since the damage is already done, I offer the question of whom would one choose to meet if one was able, Olympias or Roxanne?

I would have to go with Roxanne. The man had marriage offers thrown at him from all sides, but he chose her.

do you know why?

she was was most inappropriate for him,
and from tribes greeks never knew
just think parents friends etc to tell you marry this or that, and suddenly you choose the one all tell you to not

If the Macedonian elite descended from the Macedonian branch of the Indo-Europeans, and the elite kept a strict apartheid with the conquered population until the time of Alexander (very likely considering that Hindus have managed to do it for the last 4500 years), then the most likely haplogroups for Alexander the Great and other ancient Macedonian nobility was R1a1a, R1b1b2 or G2a3b1. It is tempting to say that the chances are higher for R1a1a because this is the most common of the three haplogroups in Macedonia nowadays (just a little higher than R1b). But it could very well be that R1a1a in modern Macedonia is of later Slavic, Germanic (Ostrogothic) or Central Asian (Bulgarian, Hunnic, Turkic) origin. In fact, it is very likely that most of the R1a1a in the Balkans is of various Central Asian and Slavic origin, which explains its great diversity. Therefore R1b1b2 emerges as the most likely possibility for Alexander the Great.

y-dna haplogroups in Greek-Macedonia (256 samples):
R1a = 45 (17.6%)
R1b = 34 (13.3%)
I = 56 (21.9%)
E1b = 53 (20.7%)
J2 = 36 (14.1%)
G = 12 ( 4.7%)

What makes you think that Alexander could not belong to I or E1b1b haplogroups which are the most common in modern day Greek Macedonians? And why should he be R1b1b2?

R1a = 45 (17.6%)
R1b = 34 (13.3%)
I = 56 (21.9%)
E1b = 53 (20.7%)
J2 = 36 (14.1%)
G = 12 ( 4.7%)

What makes you think that Alexander could not belong to I or E1b1b haplogroups which are the most common in modern day Greek Macedonians? And why should he be R1b1b2?

Ask the pope if a dna can be done on the body of Saint Mark or is it Alexander the Great , he has refused twice already
http://www.veritasreport.com/2009/12/is-st-mark-in-venice-or-is-it-alexander-the-great/

I agree with maciano, but thats because I also feel the anceint macedonians where not greek or slavic

Last edited:
R1a = 45 (17.6%)
R1b = 34 (13.3%)
I = 56 (21.9%)
E1b = 53 (20.7%)
J2 = 36 (14.1%)
G = 12 ( 4.7%)

Because Alexander belonged to the Indo-European ruling class, which was most probably pure R1b with a G2a3b1 minority.

Besides, most of the haplogroup I might have arrived in Macedonia after the time of Alexander. I1 and I2b would have come with the Germanic invasions at the end of the Roman empire. I2a2 might well have come with the Slavic migrations.

However, if the Indo-Europeans mixed with the other inhabitants of Greeks without Hindu-style segregation, and all classes had their fair chances to become nobility, then haplogroups E1b1b, I2 and J are also possible. But I doubt so. It is important to keep in mind that Alexander had light skin, blond hair, and blue eyes, like many other Macedonian nobles, which suggests that the Indo-European speakers from the steppes didn't mix with the dark-skinned and curly black-haired Middle Eastern Neolithic inhabitants of Greece (those typically depicted in ancient Greek pottery).

Because Alexander belonged to the Indo-European ruling class, which was most probably pure R1b with a G2a3b1 minority.

Besides, most of the haplogroup I might have arrived in Macedonia after the time of Alexander. I1 and I2b would have come with the Germanic invasions at the end of the Roman empire. I2a2 might well have come with the Slavic migrations.

However, if the Indo-Europeans mixed with the other inhabitants of Greeks without Hindu-style segregation, and all classes had their fair chances to become nobility, then haplogroups E1b1b, I2 and J are also possible. But I doubt so. It is important to keep in mind that Alexander had light skin, blond hair, and blue eyes, like many other Macedonian nobles, which suggests that the Indo-European speakers from the steppes didn't mix with the dark-skinned and curly black-haired Middle Eastern Neolithic inhabitants of Greece (those typically depicted in ancient Greek pottery).

blue eyes?

can we have a source

cause that is at least with late proven a myth

blonde as a grey-blonde it was after his mother,
Olympias is mentioned blond

But Phillip had curly hair as also alexander
body type of Phillip was short with thick shoulders,
that type (phillip) can be found in eteocretans in thessaly in areas north of athens and in mountain epirus
Here were I live you can find many especially in the villages that are ancient

R1a people are blonde but have straight hairs
R1b is possible but at least in Greece they are not that blonde
G and J is possible cause they have curly hairs and bodytype like alexander

the European kings story of the 3 R1b R1a and G2a in case of Alexander I believe it goes either G either R1b
also in a J there is possibility
the R1a I do not exclude but the bodytype is not according R1a peoples not even the face,

the bones of Makedonian exist. in fact in the Vergina tombs we have even skin but there is a debate among phillip's or alexander IV
also there is a looted tomb, which according many archaiologists might be Olympias tomb in Pudna
for me the case goes either to G and j and after R1b and last the R1a
the case of I and especially of I2a2 is not for discuss cause all makedonian kings were shorts

i still want to hear of Blond Makedonians with blue eyes,
while Phillip was the opposite (maybe the shorter King)

I think some of I2a also was there before south Slavs e.g. south Slavs never settled coasts of Asia minor...
but indeed most of I2 must be due to Slavs, as it is what distinguish Slavs from non-slavs in Balkan...
curiously, R1a is on similar level among non-Slavic FYRM Albanians, Slavic FYRM Macedonians, Slavic Serbs, while lower in Slavic Montenegro, and higher in Greek Macedonians. This tells me that R1a was likely one of dominant haplogroups of ancient Macedonians..

so, I agree... probably R1a, R1b or G...
but royal family of Macedonians did have greek origin, which we can trace regarding dispute over participating in Olympic games, so it may have been E-V13 or J2 as well....

blue eyes?
R1a people are blonde but have straight hairs
R1b is possible but at least in Greece they are not that blonde
G and J is possible cause they have curly hairs and bodytype like alexander

I do not think it is that simple...
Y-DNA is just small part of genetic material... it is probably not the one that determines color of eyes, hair, body built...

one has many male ancestors... and YDNA reflects only direct male line... imagine a tree whose body we are... roots of the tree is tree hierarchy consisting of many many branches, that are smaller and more numerous deeper we go... .... YDNA traces just one of the branches all the way to a single small ... so in my opinion Y-DNA makes sense only for tracing movements of big populations....not for determining physical traits... of course if all male ancestors of a person are from same YDNA branch than we can make some generalizations...

Macedons did not have blone hair and blue eyes, this is a myth created by northern europeans to explain why ancients greeks did what they did by saying they were pure "ayran" race like they *thought* they were in north europe.

BattleofIssus333BC-mosaic-detail1.jpg

That was made in 100 BC, though not during his lifetime, I think the creators had an idea what macedons looked like.

I think some of I2a also was there before south Slavs e.g. south Slavs never settled coasts of Asia minor...
but indeed most of I2 must be due to Slavs, as it is what distinguish Slavs from non-slavs in Balkan...
curiously, R1a is on similar level among non-Slavic FYRM Albanians, Slavic FYRM Macedonians, Slavic Serbs, while lower in Slavic Montenegro, and higher in Greek Macedonians. This tells me that R1a was likely one of dominant haplogroups of ancient Macedonians..

so, I agree... probably R1a, R1b or G...
but royal family of Macedonians did have greek origin, which we can trace regarding dispute over participating in Olympic games, so it may have been E-V13 or J2 as well....

I do not think it is that simple...
Y-DNA is just small part of genetic material... it is probably not the one that determines color of eyes, hair, body built...

one has many male ancestors... and YDNA reflects only direct male line... imagine a tree whose body we are... roots of the tree is tree hierarchy consisting of many many branches, that are smaller and more numerous deeper we go... .... YDNA traces just one of the branches all the way to a single small ... so in my opinion Y-DNA makes sense only for tracing movements of big populations....not for determining physical traits... of course if all male ancestors of a person are from same YDNA branch than we can make some generalizations...

Better read the Thread aabout Makedonians and Macdonaldians
the Original and the fake Slavo-Serbic or Avaro-Balkars who claim that

Besides Dusan of Serbia was not slavic not Serbian
His capital was Skopje and spoke Bulgarian

So Dusan was A Bulgarian KING

Pan-Slavism is Over
End of Story

No Maciamo there wasn't Hindu-style segregation in Greece (or Greek Macedonia), you claim to be a scientist and you don't know that? And by the way nobility does not come from a straight line for thousand of years, there are countless examples of Kings in ancient Greece who came from abroad and substituted previous Kings of native origin. You seem to think that ancient Greek kings belonged to what you call Indo-European rulling class but this is absurd...Alexander claimed descend from Temenus of Argos who belonged to the Heraclidae (they considered themselves descendants of Hercules who was a Danaan). If there is any truth in that he belonged to the same haplogroup with Danaus who most propably was E-V13...No where close to your beloved R1b. I think that you are somehow confused because R1b is the most common haplogroup of modern (or at least of the last centuries) European Kings but nothing connects them with ancient Greek nobility. After all most of them are related by blood and origin from Central or West Europe which would naturally make them R1b's.

This thread has been viewed 86624 times.

Back