edao

Elite member
Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b
mtDNA haplogroup
H
Have you experienced ASMR?

This seems to be a fairly common sensation that most people find hard to give a name.
I have friends who know exactly what I'm talking about and other who look at me clueless. Have you ever experienced it?

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR)
is a physical sensation characterized by a pleasurable tingling that typically begins in the head and scalp, and often moves down the spine and through the limbs.

Most ASMR episodes begin by an external or internal trigger, and are so divided for classification. Type A episodes are elicited by the experiencer using no external stimuli, and are typically achieved by specific thought patterns unique to the individual. Type B episodes are triggered involuntarily by an external trigger, via one or more senses, and may also involve specific thought patterns associated with the triggering event. Both types of triggers vary between individuals, but many are common to a large portion of ASMR enjoyers.

Common external triggers:

• Exposure to slow, accented, or unique speech patterns
  • Viewing educational or instructive videos or lectures
  • Experiencing a high empathetic or sympathetic reaction to an event
  • Enjoying a piece of art or music
  • Watching another person complete a task, often in a diligent, attentive manner - examples would be filling out a form, writing a check, going through a purse or bag, inspecting an item closely, etc.
  • Close, personal attention from another person
  • Haircuts, or other touch from another on head or back
Source

Oh bummer, there is an scientific explanation for the feeling. It doesn't sound half as much fun as the traditional "someone has just walked over my grave" explanation!

Well.. I had a lot of this experiences.
What I remember..
Early 1970.. Playing guitar in a band. And it worked out quite nicely. The sound we made gave me the shivers.
Around 1990.. A colleague of mine from Turkey, had some coins, and asked me what they were from. I turned some grey coin around in my hands and discovered the head of Alexander the Great, on a coin that I never saw again on internet until today.
It was a silver coin, with the spiked sun ray head of Alexander, and on the backside the Goddess Nike.
It gave me the shivers also.
But there are more.
They all have to do a lot with history.

I have a YouTube channel dedicated to this phenomenon (ASMR Sounds):
youtube.com/user/Livtonoid

Check it out! (y)

When I take a first bite of juicy, riped, sweet peach, first time in a season, I can get ASMR.

Funny, I had one when I heard the reversed version of Stairway to Heaven. Damn you Satan, what are you thinking sneaking up like that on me and giving me the shivers??

Yes All my life

I have experienced this most of my life that I can recall. I never knew that anyone else experienced it up until about a year ago. It's the most amazing feeling in the world. It's like calm, relaxed, warm and fuzzy. I don't know how to describe it. It starts for me in my head and travels to my stomach. It's like *****ly warm feeling. It's not sexual at all. Completely different feeling from that. It has to do with people's hands with me a whole lot. Anytime someone moves their hands in a circular motion on something, or rubs their hands together, pats their hands, touches a newspaper, talks in a soft soothing voice, sings softly. It's awesome. I guess you could say I always used it in the place of affection, cause I never got much affection. So I always clung to peoples motions, their voices, their touching of other things. I was abused alot as a kid in not good ways, so you could say that it's a safe way for me to feel affection. I don't know if that makes sense or not. But it's a wondeful feeling. Better than close to any other feeling I've ever had. The only other feeling that tops it, is the comfort of Jesus. Other than that, nothing has ever come close. Sometimes I get the feeling when someone hugs me, or when someone pats my hand. To me it's the feeling of safety. The feeling of relaxation. I don't know, just know I like it ;)

Yes, I've experienced it as a youth, and now I experience several variants of it, ranging from goosebumps, to shivers, to tingles. In my youth it had more to do with eureka moments. asmrstudio.com has a good list of artists...

I might as well... I do experience the tingles quite alot. At first they were only minimal but after some diet and lifestyle changes the tingles became much more prominent. Omega 3 fish oils helped a alot! Everyone is different though, so, who knows? One possible explanation is that there are no nerve endings inside the brain itself, but rather there are plenty of nerve endings in the surrounding muscles and bones. That's what they say, anyways... I spend some time on this forum if anyone else is wanting a little more info. ASMR Forum.

Anyone wondering just go to youtube and type in ASMR :shocked:

It happens to me when someone whispers in my ears . I would say, quite an enjoyable feeling.

This thread has been viewed 23523 times.

Back