PDA

View Full Version : Are you wasting your life?

edao
17-04-11, 21:45
A University of California, San Diego psychiatry study of more than one million adults found that people who live the longest self-report sleeping for six to seven hours each night. Other studies show that sleeping more than 7 to 8 hours per day has been consistently associated with increased mortality. source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep)

I always thought getting less that 8 hours sleep was bad for you, but it seems it's actually good for you.

Heres another thought, say you sleep 8 hours and you change to 6 you gain 2 hours a day.

2 hours x 360 days a year = 720 hours gained

720 hours divided by 24 hours to get days = 30 days gained per year

You have just created your 13 month year :grin:

after 12 years of 6 hour sleeping you have gained a year. in reality this is more because while a day is 24 hours we are usually only awake for 16 of those hours.

720 divided by 16 = 45 days per year

Dagne
17-04-11, 22:09
Oh, but I waiste so much of my time even without sleeping ...

Mzungu mchagga
17-04-11, 22:27
...while I have never considered sleeping as a waste of time.

LeBrok
18-04-11, 00:19
lol, great answers guys!

As for the study, I think they got it backward. Most likely people that live the longest can regenerate faster therefore they need less sleep. The centenarians are usually heather and have more energy. Their bodies stay younger longer too. These can be the main reasons why they need less sleep then common folk.
Some studies also show that during sleep brain consolidates memories. One learns faster when has a good sleep.

Antigone
18-04-11, 07:40
The older you get the less sleep you need anyway, it is usually the young who need the most sleep.

LeBrok
18-04-11, 08:34
I don’t know Antigone. Old people often sleep less at night because of all the pains and aches, and not because they don’t want to. Also they always sleep and nap during the day, therefore don’t need so much sleep at night. I’d say they need more sleep to rest and regenerate than young.

Antigone
18-04-11, 17:41
Mmm, but according to Edao's source a newborn needs 18hrs or more sleep per day, a 5yr old needs 11-13hrs, a 10yr old 9-11hrs, an adolescent 9-10hrs and an adult (including the elderly) only needs 7-8hrs on average. Except pregnant women, of course, who need more.

Mzungu mchagga
18-04-11, 19:40
I can also confirm that elderly people need less sleep, as long as they are not completely morbid. This of course doesn't contradict the fact that they are less energetic.

ultralars
03-08-11, 20:26
Getting less than 8 hours sleep is bad, this is obviously an observation study which proves absolutely nothing.

If you sleep less, it will contribute negatively to your health which doesn't necessarily reduce the time you live, but it will make it less pleasant. Like elderly who does number 2 in diapers, no one wants to end up like that. So watch out for your health if you want your entire life to be lived happily and not only lived.

Reinaert
04-08-11, 13:28
Well, the fact alone that man started to walk aroun on 2 feet, means he HAS to lie down for some time.

Just check this..

http://www.bioclix.org/images/digestive-system.jpg

At a certain place the crap can't go up..
Yes, left under, near the appendix.
So, you have to lie down to get the crap processed.

Another strange coincïncidence is, we process our food in about 20 hours.
Be glad it isn't 24 hours.. :laughing:

So, sleep is neccessary, and isn't a waste of time at all.

Blau
11-08-11, 15:20
Considering i sleep for about 10-12 hours daily i waste most of my life sleeping anyway! Although i do enjoy it so i guess it isn't a "waste" per se

Crooks
26-08-11, 08:48
We do waste our time in gossips and irrelevant activities which can not generate any results.This is the main difference between successful and a champion successful person.Now what do you want to be ?

Reinaert
26-08-11, 18:10
We do waste our time in gossips and irrelevant activities which can not generate any results.This is the main difference between successful and a champion successful person.Now what do you want to be ?

I don't agree. Gossips have a social function, and there are no irrelevant activities.

Success has other parameters.
Being on the right place, at the right time, with the right talents, a lot of luck, and even more sweat.

Hey, I play games on the internet, and they train my brain. I did maths and physics together with my electronic studies, and I had the luck to meet people who I could help in developing the right software for their scientific research.
That also boosted my knowledge and salary for a while, until that dwarf GW Bush and his pals ruined the consumer economy, and made it a war economy.
Sarah Palin would make things only worse.. :grin:

But welcome, no offence.. :laughing:

Deus
02-09-11, 00:15
Are you wasting your time?

The question is aint all wasting their life in some kind of way, we dont live forever.

Reinaert
02-09-11, 19:04
Are you wasting your time?

The question is aint all wasting their life in some kind of way, we dont live forever.

Who wants to live forever?
If we wouldn't die of disease or being old, and only die because of a car crash, or some other kind of accident,
it would have as a consequence that social life as we know it would stop.
Nobody would ever dare to fly again.

Hey, I want to game all day, i'm not going to work, because some car can hit me!

The moment humans are immortal, the human species dies.
Evolution is necessary.
Life is only possible because there is death.

:drunk:

Asim
14-09-11, 10:29
i waste alot of my time in watch movie.. but now i am trying to leave it.

leemadison11
25-11-11, 14:15
I don't know why, but i get head aches if i exceed sleeping more than 6 hours.

LeBrok
25-11-11, 20:14
I can get one if exceed 8 hours. Maybe it's related to low weather pressure. Low pressure can cause migraine, makes you tired and sleep longer, therefore making us think it's because longer sleep. The low pressure, or anything related to tiredness might be the main cause though.

Franco
26-11-11, 01:16
The less you sleep the less sleep time your body demmands (within certain margin of course). I sleep 6 hours by night and also take a nap from 15:00 to 16:30 pm. That's enough for me.

Carlos
26-11-11, 01:56
I have accustomed to my body and mind to sleep 6 hours a day, due to the horrifying Spanish schedules that they do that my free time has to be in the night. The ideal thing to feel plethoric sound from 8 until 10 hours, I think that the people who sleeps as minimum 8 hours during the day are more awake than the one that sleeps less than 8 hours.

himagain
08-01-12, 04:29
How could I be wasting time? I'm posting to this forum, aren't I?

Maciamo
08-01-12, 23:26
How could I be wasting time? I'm posting to this forum, aren't I?

Yes, but you are not 24h a day on the forum, and the rest of the time is wasted, isn't it ? :wink:

joyee
03-03-12, 15:55
Nice conversation. All the participants perform well...

personalized cups (http://www.getstadiumcups.com/)

Mihajlo
05-03-12, 08:33
I currently waste my life everyday, not even when I sleep.

mrikë
06-03-12, 16:06
Around 10 hours sleep per day do it for me. I'm very unpleasant when I'm not fully rested, as most people are. I'd rather be a pleasant person with a relatively short life-span rather than an angry old woman who lives forever.

hope
07-03-12, 19:21
Well I think it`s important to be aware of all the things in life you could do, then choose what you want to do (not to be confused with what you HAVE to do eg work!) If you choose to do those things that give you personal satisfaction and are happy with your choices then you`re not wasting your life. Or perhaps that`s too simplistic a view !

myhealth
13-03-12, 10:21
Time is a bird forever on the wing.we can not waste any time.

Riccardo
02-04-12, 16:54
Who doesn't? The more we think, more we realize we are wasting our life!

Dianatomia
14-04-12, 03:19
What does wasting your life actually mean? We humans are nothing but subspace of the universe. Our life actually means very little on a universal scale. Our essential biological task is to survive and pro-create as a species. In the end, that is also insignificant. Species go extinct all the time, not to mention that our planet will die out, our sun will run out of hydrogen, our galaxy will collide with another galaxy. Finally, this entire universe will not survive.

So don't bother too much. I would say that if you do things which make you unhappy, that's wasting your life. If doing nothing makes you happy, you are not wasting your life. If you are happy building a career, than by all means, do it. If not, than you surely are wasting your life doing it. You would be better off spending more time doing something else. Don't pay too much attention to the expectations of society. Society is like fashion. It constantly changes.

RichardHarris
02-05-12, 07:24
It is simple matter of fact is take a appropriate decision on correct time and think before taking decision and not after taking decision. The time is precious.

Selwyn Greenfrith
30-01-13, 21:35
A University of California, San Diego psychiatry study of more than one million adults found that people who live the longest self-report sleeping for six to seven hours each night. Other studies show that sleeping more than 7 to 8 hours per day has been consistently associated with increased mortality. source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep)

I always thought getting less that 8 hours sleep was bad for you, but it seems it's actually good for you.

Heres another thought, say you sleep 8 hours and you change to 6 you gain 2 hours a day.

2 hours x 360 days a year = 720 hours gained

720 hours divided by 24 hours to get days = 30 days gained per year

You have just created your 13 month year :grin:

after 12 years of 6 hour sleeping you have gained a year. in reality this is more because while a day is 24 hours we are usually only awake for 16 of those hours.

720 divided by 16 = 45 days per year

The uppertendom doing the hardest to frighten/lifebend untermenschen to work longer hours. Lest we forget sick and wounded folk are willfully put into a sleep to either hold onto life or lengthen it, and bodybuilders take GHB to also go into a 'deep sleep' which helps in getting bigger muscles somehow.

Gurka atla
14-07-13, 09:24
I feel like I'm wasting myself too.

The Gheg
25-08-14, 15:39
i sleep on average 7 hours a night