Os Grandes Portugueses | The Greatest Portuguese

edao

Elite member
Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b
mtDNA haplogroup
H
Who are considered the greatest Portuguese?

A public poll contest organized by the Portuguese public broadcasting station RTP and hosted by Maria Elisa. The final vote took place on March 25, 2007, the winner being António de Oliveira Salazar, Portugal's dictator between 1932 and 1968.

1. António de Oliveira Salazar – Statesman, dictator between 1932 and 1968 (41.0%)
  2. Álvaro Cunhal – Politician (19.1%)
  3. Aristides de Sousa Mendes – Diplomat (13.0%)
  4. Afonso I – King (12.4%)
  5. Luís Vaz de Camões – Poet (4.0%)
  6. John II – King (3%)
  7. Henry the Navigator - Prince (2.7%)
  8. Fernando Pessoa – Poet (2.4%)
  9. Marquês de Pombal – Politician (1.7%)
  10. Vasco da Gama - Explorer (0.7%)
source

I think my vote would have gone for Vasco da Gama, not so much for him as a person but what his voyage of discovery symbolised for Europe.
BHC2702.JPG

a fascist dicatorship in 1st place in a portuguese popular contest???? these iberians are a nutcase no wonder they are so backward when comparing with the true europe.

I think my vote would have gone for Vasco da Gama, not so much for him as a person but what his voyage of discovery symbolised for Europe.
BHC2702.JPG
what is most important is what symbolizes for non-europeans... colonialism, explotation, and anhilattion of innocent cultures by the europeans.

what is most important is what symbolizes for non-europeans... colonialism, explotation, and anhilattion of innocent cultures by the europeans.

:LOL: ¿Y qué representan para tí algunos imperios precolombinos perpetuadores de masacres y genocidios contra otros pueblos? Por cierto, no hay verdadera Europa, hay Europa y no Europa, el foro de Latinoamérica está todo recto a la izquierda...Lo digo porque quizás tengas más que aportar en otro foro, es una pena que seas tan poco objetivo y tan poco autocrítico con tu propia historia.

That public poll is worthless. Fraud!

Like it says in the source:

........The difference of these statiscally representative polls to the final result suggest that the voting, consisting of voluntary telephone calls, may have been skewed by groups with vested interests.

May have been... well... :cool-v:

Definitely Vasco da Gama. He is the most famous Portuguese globally, and without him there would have been no Portuguese Empire. The Dutch and the British owe a lot to Vasco da Gama and his successors in paving the way for their future African and Asian colonies too. We could almost say that without Vasco da Gama the English language wouldn't be as widespread nowadays because the European colonisation of South Asia might have taken place too late to be effective or not happened at all.

Henry the Navigator played a decisive role too in encouraging the exploration of the coasts of Africa.

D. Afonso Henriques doesn't even crack the list? That's very surprising considering he basically founded the country and fought off the Moors. Also one of the longest serving kings.

This thread has been viewed 14780 times.

Back