edao

Elite member
Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b
mtDNA haplogroup
H
god_creates_adam.jpg

It would be interesting to see how many people believe in a god but perhaps don't follow a formal religion.

Last edited:
Of course i bellieve in me...:indifferent:...absurd question...:innocent:

in 1 god or many?

all religions believe in the one god.........if there is more than 1 god, we better start praying to the ancient greek and roman ones then

preached and institutionalized religions are typically turning into some black and white painted ideological forms that tend to lose original essence....

religion raises from our need to have solid basis for our arguments and viewpoints...
question is why is acknowledging lack of knowledge and insight about essence of world not sufficient? why do we need to believe this or that?

Religions caused more pain than any human can bear.

If there is a God, he should be punished for what he has done.

Humans are naturally friendly towards each other, in history religions were created to set people against each other.

There is no God, we are travelling on a lonely planet called Earth.

The entire Cosmos makes no sense at all... We are ALONE!
GOD has left us!

WE HAVE TO DO IT OURSELVES!
SO STOP ALL WARS!

Start to be friends!

we are travelling on a lonely planet called Earth.

The entire Cosmos makes no sense at all... We are ALONE!
GOD has left us!

WE HAVE TO DO IT OURSELVES!
SO STOP ALL WARS!

Start to be friends!

hmmm you should listen Orphic Hymns

it says it better

' from a dark cave were 'white' water drops hot, Moirai, put me (exit me) to a sky lagoon'

I do believe in a God, I have reason to believe, and he handed me renouncing the world and their things.

Well, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

If there is one thing I believe in it's probably Gaia. Mother Earth. And Father Sun.

I read the bogus about global warming.
Now that the sun is dropping activity, temperatures on earth will sink..
Well well.. We have seen that before!

Don't believe anything others tell you.
Investigate everything, and keep what is good.

The nicest way to describe God is from John Lennon:

"God is a concept, by which we measure our pain!"

Today many have a religion lies of climate change, "virus" of AIDS. However I do not think God is pain, rather man is pain.

It is interesting that the christian/jewish/islamic god has the faults of a human, being jealous and vengeful, seems to me that a god who has the power to create a universe and all in it wouldn't have any handicaps himself. Man created god in his own image.

But he is a useful scapegoat, most human excesses can be justified in his name and all the ills in the world can be laid at his door. Man doesn't even need to take responsibility for his own actions.

Last edited:
Nicely summed up Antigone.

Polytheistic religions?
Buddhism, Shinto, Chinese religion...

Technically Buddhism has no god (except in some Mahayana sects which imported Hindu deities) and Shinto only has spirits of nature (+ deified Japanese emperors, but that's really just a status, it doesn't confer them any power usually associated with gods).

By Chinese religion, I suppose that you mean Taoism.

Sorry Maciamo, my English is too poor, i have to write in French...:ashamed2:

Technically Buddhism has no god (except in some Mahayana sects which imported Hindu deities)

Pourtant, les origines du Bouddhisme font références à des Dieux et à des Démons...
Je suis d'accord avec le fait qu'ils ne font pas parti de la pratique de cette religion, mais ils sont bien présents.
Et c'est pour éviter tout fanatisme ou toutes formes de sectarisme que Bouddha déclara qu'il ne fallait vénérer aucuns Dieux d'aucune sorte, mais suivre ses préceptes afin de favoriser l'élévation de leurs âmes (ce qui est loin d'être bête au vue des dérives du Christianisme)...

Shinto only has spirits of nature (+ deified Japanese emperors, but that's really just a status, it doesn't confer them any power usually associated with gods).

Mais ces "Esprits de la nature" ne sont-ils pas vénérés?
On leur offre des offrandes et reçoivent leurs petite prières, non?
Ils peuvent très bien être assimilé à des dieux, comme le montre beaucoup de film Japonais ("Princess Mononoke", "Le voyage de Shihiro" ou "Pompoko") dans lesquels ils sont nommés "Dieux", "Esprits de la nature" et même "Dieux de la nature" par moment...

Pourtant, les origines du Bouddhisme font références à des Dieux et à des Démons...
Je suis d'accord avec le fait qu'ils ne font pas parti de la pratique de cette religion, mais ils sont bien présents.
Et c'est pour éviter tout fanatisme ou toutes formes de sectarisme que Bouddha déclara qu'il ne fallait vénérer aucuns Dieux d'aucune sorte, mais suivre ses préceptes afin de favoriser l'élévation de leurs âmes (ce qui est loin d'être bête au vue des dérives du Christianisme)...

You said it yourself, Buddha asked not to worship any god. He was himself born a Hindu, so obviously the origins of Buddhism are linked to Hinduism, just like Christianity originated from Judaism. But true Buddhism is an atheistic philosophy.

Mais ces "Esprits de la nature" ne sont-ils pas vénérés?
On leur offre des offrandes et reçoivent leurs petite prières, non?
Ils peuvent très bien être assimilé à des dieux, comme le montre beaucoup de film Japonais ("Princess Mononoke", "Le voyage de Shihiro" ou "Pompoko") dans lesquels ils sont nommés "Dieux", "Esprits de la nature" et même "Dieux de la nature" par moment...

It's not because something or someone is worshipped that they are gods. You can worship a musician, an actor, an athlete, a scientist, a philosopher, but that just makes them idols, not gods. It's the same with Shintoism. Trees and waterfalls are worshipped, but aren't gods. I know Japanese culture and language well enough to assert that it is a mistake (but a common one) to always translate the Japanese word kami (神) by god. Sometimes it means 'god' (for Japanese Christians, but then they say kami-sama and not just kami), but when talking about Shintoism or Buddhism it only means "object of worship" or "idol".

I myself is a total freethinker, don't care about god and never was in church. But have nothing against moderately religious people.
Communists in Russia tried to get rid from religion, but all their efforts have failed despite on the harsh methods. Probably because the church meets the needs of a particular segment of the population, so these people will always need in the church.
Church also gives basic human values ​​and moral sense, so it's necessary institution, but dangerouse then it has too much influence on the state. Like in dark ages when Europe was a backward place, unscientific.

Church also gives basic human values ​​and moral sense, so it's necessary institution, but dangerouse then it has too much influence on the state. Like in dark ages when Europe was a backward place, unscientific.

I agree, I was brought up Catholic but even as a very young child I never believed the stories in the bible anymore than I believed in magic. The moral aspect was probably the only remaining influence on my life from religion which has only been positive.

I have to say I am suprised the vote is so far 100% no!

This thread has been viewed 24707 times.

Back