Percentages of Different Haplogroups in Northern Europe

edao

Elite member
Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b
mtDNA haplogroup
H
I'll qualify this post by saying I'm no expert in genetics.

I was looking over the
Distribution of European Y-chromosome DNA (Y-DNA) haplogroups by country in percentage - link

and I had a question about the distribution of percentages and why it differs so much between say Scotland (or western Europe in general) and Scandinavians.

For example Scotland has a very high R1b at 72.5%, Basques 86% etc, but when you look at Norway its highest single haplogroup percentage is 36% and Sweden 37% for I1.

My question is why are Scandinavian percentage more evenly spread over various haplogroups and does this mean anything?

Scandinavians people are supposed to have preserved more of the European indigenous haplogroup (haplogroup I) while western European carry mostly the Indo European haplogroup R1b. More specifically, British, Iberian and French people carry the P312 (proto celt) subclade of R1b

Scandinavians people are supposed to have preserved more of the European indigenous haplogroup (haplogroup I) while western European carry mostly the Indo European haplogroup R1b. More specifically, British, Iberian and French people carry the P312 (proto celt) subclade of R1b

You say I is the European indigenous Haplogroup, does that mean prior to the introduction of R1b most western europeans would have shown significant percentage of I? Also is there a timeline of haplogroups in Europe?

This thread has been viewed 8976 times.

Back