Appearance of Sicilians relative to other Mediterraneans? (poll included)

Other than Italians, who is their best phenotypical match?

• Scandinavians (Swedes, Danes, etc.)

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Spaniards or Portuguese

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Greeks

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • Caucasus (Armenia, Georgia)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Levant (Syria, Lebanon, Palestine)

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • North Africa (Tunisia, Algeria, etc.)

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

oreo_cookie

Banned
Reaction score
Other than continental Italians whom they share much with, which other group do they look more similar to as a rule? I gave you 5 options.

Scandinavians (Danes, Swedes)
Spanish/Portuguese
Greeks
Caucasus (Armenia, Georgia)
Levant (Lebanon, Syria)
North Africans

Some pictures;

cat_corl_cover.jpg
ettore_spiaggia.jpg
muso-mich.jpg
77281d1300743733-who-do-sicilians-look-like-you-bowling-my-sicilian-family.jpg
sicilian.jpg
36.jpg
249.jpg
8.jpg
2957570357_bc37fafb3a.jpg
41626_1403170485_2041_n.jpg
41521_1525879736_7797_n.jpg
41671_1245574269_9499_n.jpg
39.jpg
3366988720_97f8936fec_m.jpg

Real Sicilians look Western Mediterraneans with some northern african mixed with Italians or Greekoid elements. The pictures that you posted focus more on the second group for the most.

It is allways a mix - I think the faces are:
Italians 70%
Greeks 12%
Spaniards or Portuguese 8%
Levant 5%
North Africa 3%
Scandinavians 2%

Last edited:
It is allways a mix - I think the faces are:
Italians 70%
Greeks 12%
Spaniards or Portuguese 8%
Levant 5%
North Africa 3%
Scandinavians 2%

The closest match is obviously other southern Italians (Calabria, Campania and others) I agree. I left them out of the choices because I wanted to know in which general direction they deviate otherwise.

Greeks in my opinion. Also, they are very similar on autosomal results. They cluster almost neatly.

Yes, Southern Italians / Sicilians cluster very close to Greeks in autosomal DNA studies. Meaning that, phenotypically, a significant majority will trend Greek.

Sicilians are mainly Eastern Mediterranean in appearance, although there are also other influences.

I think most of the ancient Greeks in Sicily were allied with Sparta, which means they probably came from the Peloponnese and/or the Mani peninsula.

Peloponnese_map.png

It's obvious, R1b Greeks and R1b Italians have matching physiognomy. Also J2 Greeks and J2 Italians match. These two groups make up a large proportion of the typical Southern Italian phenotype (y).

oreo cookie your observation is correct. Autosomal DNA is responsible for appearance, however, we know that sex chromosomes X and Y represent similar Autosomal DNA in regions where population exchange from one region to another is verifiable. It would not be accurate to infer based on lets say Polish R1a and Sicilian R1a because no relationship between these two groups has been documented.

Last edited:
orea cookie your observation is correct. Autosomal DNA is responsible for appearance, however, we know that sex chromosomes X and Y represent similar Autosomal DNA in regions where population exchange from one region to another is verifiable. It would not be accurate to infer based on lets say Polish R1a and Sicilian R1a because no relationship between these two groups has been posed.

Autosomal DNA might be able to be tied to frequencies of haplogroups more than haplogroups themselves, i.e. places with similar haplogroup frequencies will look similar.

I voted Greeks, for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 51075 times.

Back