Reinaert

Banned
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Proto Celtic
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b1b2a2* SNP P312
No, I am from the south.. Brabant.

I have never smoked pot, and will never do that.
I don't eat Edam cheese ever. That gum is for export.
I prefer a lot of French and Italian cheese brands.
And I don't like Orange at all. I prefer the Red and White of Brabant, and also the Green and White of Celtic.

I already told a lot of times that the Duchy Brabant was culturally and historically the heartland of The Netherlands.
The Flemish began to tell a lie about Flanders, Flanders is west of the Schelde river.
West of Antwerp.
Brussels Louvain Antwerp Breda Den Bosch all are Brabant cities!

Belgium even hijacked the old coat of arms of Brabant.

brabant.gif

And look at the Flemish variant:

vlaander.gif

Guess what's the original?

Ever seen a black lion?

No, I am from the south.. Brabant.

I have never smoked pot, and will never do that.
I don't eat Edam cheese ever. That gum is for export.
I prefer a lot of French and Italian cheese brands.
And I don't like Orange at all. I prefer the Red and White of Brabant, and also the Green and White of Celtic.

I already told a lot of times that the Duchy Brabant was culturally and historically the heartland of The Netherlands.
The Flemish began to tell a lie about Flanders, Flanders is west of the Schelde river.
West of Antwerp.
Brussels Louvain Antwerp Breda Den Bosch all are Brabant cities!

Belgium even hijacked the old coat of arms of Brabant.

brabant.gif

And look at the Flemish variant:

vlaander.gif

Guess what's the original?

Ever seen a black lion?

Sorry to disappoint you, but Brabant was originally only in Belgium. The name first appeared as the Landgraviate of Brabant in the 11th century, as part of the County of Leuven, roughly encompassing the modern provinces of Flemish Brabant (+ Brussels) and Walloon Brabant. It is only a century later that the county became a duchy and absorbed the Margraviate of Antwerp and the land now making up the Dutch province of North Brabant (which was merely a backwater at the time, considering that the three historical cities of North Brabant, Breda, Eindhoven and 's-Hertogenbosch, were mere villages before the region became part of Brabant). I am stunned that someone as proud of his province as yourself doesn't know that.

The Dukes of Brabant, ruling from Leuven then Brussels, inherited the honorific title of Duke of Lotharingia from 1190 to 1792. Lotharingia once extended from the Low Countries to North Italy, taking all Eastern France, Southwest Germany and Switzerland. It was renamed Lothier to avoid confusion with the newly formed Duchy of Lorraine in France, also derived from the name Lotharingia. The fact that the title went to the Dukes of Brabant reflects the prestige of the region in the Middle Ages, indubitably because it was the heart of the Frankish realm before Clovis.

As for which flag is the "original", the Flemish flag precedes the Brabantine one by two centuries.

As you don't seem to grasp history, the Belgian/Dutch heritage is the one of Brabant, not of Flanders!
And you don't believe the origin of the weapon of Flanders either! Just admit it!

Brabant already existed when nobody ever heard of Belgium!
That's my point! Don't turn it around!

I am from Brabant, we went north to colonize an empty desert.
Don't tell me the Dutch people from Brabant aren't from Brabant.
They came from the south!
We are from Brabant, and we have nothing in common with the Flemish population on the west side of the river Schelde! Nor do you!

As you don't seem to grasp history, the Belgian/Dutch heritage is the one of Brabant, not of Flanders!
And you don't believe the origin of the weapon of Flanders either! Just admit it!

Brabant is only a small part of Belgium and the Netherlands. What do you mean by "weapon of Flanders" ?

Brabant already existed when nobody ever heard of Belgium!
That's my point! Don't turn it around!

Belgium doesn't use the flag of Flanders. The Flemish region does, but they had to choose a flag. The Nord department of France uses the same flag, and it's not even the same country ! I don't see the problem. It's just a flag. The only irony I see is that anti-francophone Flemish nationalists proudly use that yellow flag of the old County of Flanders, and the county was the only part of modern Belgium that was not originally part of the Holy Roman Empire but was a fief of the Kingdom of France since its foundation in 862 (and, as I said, the same flag is still used in French Flanders).

We are from Brabant, and we have nothing in common with the Flemish population on the west side of the river Schelde! Nor do you!

Nothing in common that's a bit stretching it, don't you think ?

Flanders has more in common with Normandy, than with Brabant.
And so, Flanders was indeed a part of France.
Brabant was not.
Norseman settled along the North Sea coast, from Normandy, Flanders, Zealand, Holland, Frisia and then Denmark and Norway.

Flanders only boosted their own image during the romantic period.
It's fiction. And you know it!
Even the Belgian anthem is called "The Brabanconne".

And another thing, Brabant is not a small part of Belgium.

Brabant_map.gif

Flanders has more in common with Normandy, than with Brabant.
And so, Flanders was indeed a part of France.
Brabant was not.
Norseman settled along the North Sea coast, from Normandy, Flanders, Zealand, Holland, Frisia and then Denmark and Norway.

Flanders only boosted their own image during the romantic period.
It's fiction. And you know it!
Even the Belgian anthem is called "The Brabanconne".

Brabant_map.gif

that rubbish treaty , the congress of vienna destroyed a lot of the old world and was used to place germanic nobles as kings of foreign lands. With a monarch the nation could nort exist......forget about the neutral or allied ( against napoleon ) republics against napoleon, just get rid of republics was the cry from the congress of Vienna.
Belgium got a german noble .....a saxon ( the closest a sxon got to brabant was 1500 when they ruled frisia )
Greece was recognised because of a Bavarian noble who became king.
Later, Italy with a french family from Savoy, etc etc

Without the congress of vienna, I imagine netherlands, flanders and brabant would have shared belgium lands.

Since Belgium now hold the record for a nation without a government...........what is the future?

Flanders has more in common with Normandy, than with Brabant

:rolleyes: Except the language, the common history, the geography, etc.

Even including the province of Antwerp, it is still only 1/5 of Belgium.

Well.. The most important part. It always was.
And I was making a joke on the one thing Belgium was always good at..

In making a joke about "L'Union fait la Force".

Belgium is divided as ever.

And the way you parked this again into oblivion says enough.

I actually support this.
Flanders is West-Flanders, East-Flanders, certain towns in the north of the Belgian province Hainaut and the arrondissements of Dunkirk and Lille in France. Some also consider Zeelandic Flanders to be part of Flanders.

Brabant however, is North-Brabant, in The Netherlands, and in Belgium, the provinces of Antwerp, "Flemish" Brabant and Waloon Brabant.

At some point in history,it was decided to call the entire Dutchspeaking part of Belgium, Flanders. Even though some is Brabant and some is Limburg.

Flanders did have a great influence in Artesia and Picardia, now in France, but I feel it has plenty in common with Brabant.
Also, sometimes Brabant was the most important part of the Low Lands, but at other times it was Holland or Flanders.

I myself am from West-Flanders, and I'd prefer if the term Flanders would be used just for Flanders, and that Brabant may be free from this name.

This thread has been viewed 12868 times.

Back