Presidential DNA Signatures - is there a list somewhere??

gigrant74

Reaction score
Ethnic group
English
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b1b2a1a1a4
If there is a list or if someone is keeping track of that sort of thing, Ulysses S. Grant can be added. His DNA has been confirmed as R-L47* (R1b1b2a1a1a4a*) as tested through Family Tree DNA. Four different people who share the same common ancestor as the former President, Matthew Grant, have submitted DNA and were matches. One of them, my father, has had a deep-clad test done which confirms the R-L47* signature. FYI.

If there is a list or if someone is keeping track of that sort of thing, Ulysses S. Grant can be added. His DNA has been confirmed as R-L47* (R1b1b2a1a1a4a*) as tested through Family Tree DNA. Four different people who share the same common ancestor as the former President, Matthew Grant, have submitted DNA and were matches. One of them, my father, has had a deep-clad test done which confirms the R-L47* signature. FYI.

All I see so far is this Wikipedia article, which fortunately seems to have sourced its information rather well, although most haplogroups it lists do not go very deep in terms of subclades, and it uses ambiguous nomenclature. Perhaps you should add Ulysses S. Grant to that article, he seems to be missing right now.

In terms of presidents, it has:

R1b: (2) Adams, (6) Q. Adams, (12) Taylor, (14) Pierce, (15) Buchanan, (25) McKinley, (28) Wilson
T: (3) Jefferson

There are a lot of presidents to go, although I think that for each, "R1b" would be the safest guess, except for Obama, who is more likely some African variety of E.

It occured to me, how likely is it for an American of British descend to have Haplogroup T? Not very likely. Thomas Jefferson is a big anomaly there... :LOL:

Yes Taranis, this haplogroup in not precisely common anywhere, much lees between the British. There was the speculation he had Jewish background, wich perhaps is true.

Yes Taranis, this haplogroup in not precisely common anywhere, much lees between the British. There was the speculation he had Jewish background, wich perhaps is true.

Yeah, the double phenomenon of T being rare overall and additionally rare made it seem unlikely. But well, looking at the Ashkenazic/Sephardic Y-DNA admixtures as provided by Maciamo, if he had a Jewish ancestor somewhere down his line this would increase the likelihood of him being Haplogroup T severalfold.

This thread has been viewed 11815 times.

Back