Politics Mr.Gorbachev for EU presidency

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Northern Russians - Slavonic & Finno-Ugric mixture, but hell it's just my guesses
100% democratic, honest, with unique experience of management by a huge union leader which will fix all problems of EU and lead it to new frontiers of prosperity! (y)

384830.jpg

100% democratic, honest, with unique experience of management by a huge union leader which will fix all problems of EU and lead it to new frontiers of prosperity! (y)

384830.jpg
gorbachev3.jpg

I agree, he is an expert on dismantling useless political monsters.

Surely it is a jest.

Oh, that guy from the Louis Vuitton bags ad, I forgot about him... Honest, you must be joking. In case you are not, La Cicciolina is now available...
On a more serious note, I think our dear leaders missed the train when they did not appoint Tony Blair to the top job. Do not throw stones at me...

Can to elaborate and explain why you think Tony Blair would be the better option, Cimmerianbloke?

I'm not a fan of Teflon Tony, admittedly, but he did seem to do a decent job with Northern Ireland so I'm not throwing stones! Just genuinely interested in a different perspective.

The job is to put a face and a name on Europe (and a phone number for Obama to call "Europe"). Van Rompuy was a careful conscensus (kind of what Medvedev was for Putin these last few years...). We all know who pull the strings in Brussels (Frau M and Monsieur S), and these peope wanted to have somebody who wouldn't make waves. And Hermann for sure doesn't. Ashton is the invisible woman. Nowhere to be seen. This week has seen another EU joke with the Slovaks voting against the bailout packet only to be bullied to vote for it a couple of days later (referendum anyone?). Would Blair take calls from Berlin before making public announcements? Would Blair sit back and wait for Barroso to come up with a white rabbit? Blair is the kind of person who speaks the way people can actually understand, and he would not let himself be embarrassed in buying time while the EU is being told by the bankers how much they need and how they want to get it. Blair has some serious experience as a top leader dealing with opposition. The right question to ask, though, is would he take up the job if offered?

I vote for Blair. I love his speeches too.

Thanks Cimmerianbloke for your interesting reply.

Personally, I find Blair frightening. He is a bit too fanatical and so convinced of his own self rightness that he doesn't listen to reason when he is actually wrong. Instead he bullies and browbeats everyone else into submission, he is also heavily into religion and is a Roman Catholic convert. The recent inquiries into the lead-up to the Iraq war in Britain have also shown Blair as unwilling or incapable of admitting a mistake, "it was the right thing to do" seems to be his catch-phrase and justification for everything.

All qualities he shared with GW Bush, which may explain why they got on so well together but imo, not good qualities in a leader.

In fact, Antigone, you seem to blame Blair for not being an insipid bureaucrat. You ought to love Hermann then...

Ha, very funny Cimmerianbloke! Or possibly men just look for different qualities in a leader than women do?

But I don't think a person needs to be a self righteous bully to be a stong leader. There are more effective ways of getting people on side.

Anton, Bear's den
Could you briefly explain why you hate putin and medvedev?
putin reminds me erdoğan of turkey.
thanks

As for what people expect from a leader, regardless of the style, I think we need results now, not in five years. 2012 promises to be hot because of elections just about everywhere and the weakening of some key personalities. IMO, national interests are going to take over European matters, and with elections in the US and in Russia (well, it's not really like we don't know who's going to win, all right...), the show will be worth watching.

Anton, Bear's den
Could you briefly explain why you hate putin and medvedev?
putin reminds me erdoğan of turkey.
thanks

They are not enough democratic!

This thread has been viewed 10052 times.

Back