Goga

Banned
Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1a*
mtDNA haplogroup
HV1b2
Dear Maciamo,

Is it possible to make Y-DNA haplogroup map of the USA per state? I'm very interested in the outcome of it, and I believe that many other people with me.

I think it's a GREAT idea. It will be very popular and will elicit many interesting discussions. And it will attract many new users!

Your sincerely,

Goga

Would this be based entirely on where people are living now?

Like, my patriline came from Switzerland to Pennsylvania (1700s), then to Kentucky (1800s), then to Oklahoma (early 1900s), then to California (late 1900s and 2000s)... so would I count for California, or what?

If it's entirely modern, I'm not sure it would help beyond giving a general idea of what ethnicities live where in the US, which you don't need a Y-DNA study for. We'd get a lot of R1b-L21 in Irish areas, a lot of R1b-U106 in English areas, a lot of R1b-S116* and probably substantial Q in Hispanic areas, O in Asian areas, E in African-American areas, I1 in the Dakotas where Scandinavians settled...

I'd be interested, though, in a point-of-immigration study, especially for folks whose ancestors came during the colonial period from the British Isles. That could help confirm (or disprove) Fischer's theories about the different areas of Britain and their affect on the different regions of the US.

Yes modern population. I would like to know how mixed Americans are. Especially in multicultural states, like New York, Virginia, California, Florida, Maryland etc.

For instance, I guess there's a lot J1 and J2 in New York. I think due to the Jews, Italians etc.

I want to know this because due to the globalisation many nations are become multicultural. And i want to know how future DNA maps will look like.

The USA is a very good example for all of us!

Dear Maciamo,

Is it possible to make Y-DNA haplogroup map of the USA per state? I'm very interested in the outcome of it, and I believe that many other people with me.

I think it's a GREAT idea. It will be very popular and will elicit many interesting discussions. And it will attract many new users!

Your sincerely,

Goga

Yes it is possible. I can tell you it is almost only Q1a3 in most states, with a bit of C3... Unless you meant the present population, but that is harder since it is extremely mobile and people have only settled in each state very recently. If that is what you want, just send me the data (minimum 1000 samples per state to be statistically relevant due to the high cosmopolitanism) an I will make the maps.

Yes it is possible. I can tell you it is almost only Q1a3 in most states, with a bit of C3...

If we were going strictly by Native American lineages, we'd end up with entire states with 0% of anything... Kentucky, most notably, had no permanent settlements by 1700 CE, pre-exploration by European-origin settlers, so no modern Native Americans can trace the origins of their patrilines to Kentucky.

This thread has been viewed 15166 times.

Back