J2a3h2a1 (L70) from France: Neolithic, Jewish Diaspora or What?

elghund

Banned
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Appalachian American
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b1b2a1a
mtDNA haplogroup
J1c1
I'm wondering about one of my family tree lines that is a French surname that were Virginia colonists who were J2a3h2a1 (L70). I'm trying to determine the origin of their haplogroup: Neolithic Migration, Jewish Diaspora or later? Any info on this haplogroup?

Impossible to say at the moment. We don't even know for sure when J2 entered Europe, so J2a3h2a1...

The FTDNA Project membership indicates that L70+ at least has a Jewish component, but it's unclear just by glancing at the raw data if it's Jewish origin, or just had a Jewish subcluster that expanded. I'm unaware of any STR dating attempts for it.

Check out the J-L24 FTDNA group

I'm wondering about one of my family tree lines that is a French surname that were Virginia colonists who were J2a3h2a1 (L70). I'm trying to determine the origin of their haplogroup: Neolithic Migration, Jewish Diaspora or later? Any info on this haplogroup?

From a fellow L70+...

There are a great many possibilities for the origin of your J2a3h2a1 (L70) individual. There are now quite a few known clusters within L70+, including, but not exclusively a few modern Ashkenazi Jewish ones.

I would HIGHLY recommend checking out the L-24 group at FTDNA (w w w.familytreedna.com/public/J-L24-Y-DNA/default.aspx) and you can see some of the L70 clusters on the results page. Some of these clusters are now known to be defined by recently discovered SNPs including P244.2+ and L396+. (w w w.familytreedna.com/public/J-L24-Y-DNA/default.aspx?vgroup=J-L24-Y-DNA&section=ycolorized)

Is your individual of interest tested at FTDNA?

Do you have a Ysearch.org id number?

From a fellow L70+...

There are a great many possibilities for the origin of your J2a3h2a1 (L70) individual. There are now quite a few known clusters within L70+, including, but not exclusively a few modern Ashkenazi Jewish ones.

I would HIGHLY recommend checking out the L-24 group at FTDNA (w w w.familytreedna.com/public/J-L24-Y-DNA/default.aspx) and you can see some of the L70 clusters on the results page. Some of these clusters are now known to be defined by recently discovered SNPs including P244.2+ and L396+. (w w w.familytreedna.com/public/J-L24-Y-DNA/default.aspx?vgroup=J-L24-Y-DNA&section=ycolorized)

Is your individual of interest tested at FTDNA?

Do you have a Ysearch.org id number?

The family is the Wingo family. Their haplotypes can be seen here: http://www.familytreedna.com/public/WingoDNA/default.aspx?section=yresults

The family is the Wingo family. Their haplotypes can be seen here: w w w .familytreedna.c o m/public/WingoDNA/default.aspx?section=yresults

I see that one member of the Wingo family project is also a member of the J-L24 project I mentioned above. The groupd administrators have created many clusters within L70+ being based on characteristic STR haplotypes as well as SNPs. I see that there is a Wingo cluster, which includes the Wingo individual, as well as one other individual NOT a member of the Wingo project.

I would highly recommend that any interested Wingo member should test the SNPs P244.2 and L396. Both of these are found within L70+ folks, and seem to be comprised primarily of individuals with relatively recent Jewish ancestry. SNPs M318 and M137 another two SNPs known to be found within L70+ although they are seemingly rare. These latter two SNPs are part of the standard Deep Clade analysis that FTDNA offers.

As an incentive, I should mention that there are often funding opportunities at the L-24 project page to help interested members pay for additional testing recommended by group administrators. The above tests could likely qualify.

This thread has been viewed 9675 times.

Back