PDA

View Full Version : J2a3h2a1 (L70) from France: Neolithic, Jewish Diaspora or What?

elghund
10-10-11, 23:55
I'm wondering about one of my family tree lines that is a French surname that were Virginia colonists who were J2a3h2a1 (L70). I'm trying to determine the origin of their haplogroup: Neolithic Migration, Jewish Diaspora or later? Any info on this haplogroup?

Maciamo
11-10-11, 08:07
Impossible to say at the moment. We don't even know for sure when J2 entered Europe, so J2a3h2a1...

sparkey
11-10-11, 18:11
The FTDNA Project (http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Y-DNA_J/default.aspx) membership indicates that L70+ at least has a Jewish component, but it's unclear just by glancing at the raw data if it's Jewish origin, or just had a Jewish subcluster that expanded. I'm unaware of any STR dating attempts for it.

Peregrin
25-10-11, 06:21
I'm wondering about one of my family tree lines that is a French surname that were Virginia colonists who were J2a3h2a1 (L70). I'm trying to determine the origin of their haplogroup: Neolithic Migration, Jewish Diaspora or later? Any info on this haplogroup?

From a fellow L70+...

There are a great many possibilities for the origin of your J2a3h2a1 (L70) individual. There are now quite a few known clusters within L70+, including, but not exclusively a few modern Ashkenazi Jewish ones.

I would HIGHLY recommend checking out the L-24 group at FTDNA (w w w.familytreedna.com/public/J-L24-Y-DNA/default.aspx) and you can see some of the L70 clusters on the results page. Some of these clusters are now known to be defined by recently discovered SNPs including P244.2+ and L396+. (w w w.familytreedna.com/public/J-L24-Y-DNA/default.aspx?vgroup=J-L24-Y-DNA&section=ycolorized)

Is your individual of interest tested at FTDNA?

Do you have a Ysearch.org id number?

elghund
25-10-11, 22:17
From a fellow L70+...

There are a great many possibilities for the origin of your J2a3h2a1 (L70) individual. There are now quite a few known clusters within L70+, including, but not exclusively a few modern Ashkenazi Jewish ones.

I would HIGHLY recommend checking out the L-24 group at FTDNA (w w w.familytreedna.com/public/J-L24-Y-DNA/default.aspx) and you can see some of the L70 clusters on the results page. Some of these clusters are now known to be defined by recently discovered SNPs including P244.2+ and L396+. (w w w.familytreedna.com/public/J-L24-Y-DNA/default.aspx?vgroup=J-L24-Y-DNA&section=ycolorized)

Is your individual of interest tested at FTDNA?

Do you have a Ysearch.org id number?

The family is the Wingo family. Their haplotypes can be seen here: http://www.familytreedna.com/public/WingoDNA/default.aspx?section=yresults

Peregrin
28-10-11, 03:03
The family is the Wingo family. Their haplotypes can be seen here: w w w .familytreedna.c o m/public/WingoDNA/default.aspx?section=yresults

I see that one member of the Wingo family project is also a member of the J-L24 project I mentioned above. The groupd administrators have created many clusters within L70+ being based on characteristic STR haplotypes as well as SNPs. I see that there is a Wingo cluster, which includes the Wingo individual, as well as one other individual NOT a member of the Wingo project.

I would highly recommend that any interested Wingo member should test the SNPs P244.2 and L396. Both of these are found within L70+ folks, and seem to be comprised primarily of individuals with relatively recent Jewish ancestry. SNPs M318 and M137 another two SNPs known to be found within L70+ although they are seemingly rare. These latter two SNPs are part of the standard Deep Clade analysis that FTDNA offers.

As an incentive, I should mention that there are often funding opportunities at the L-24 project page to help interested members pay for additional testing recommended by group administrators. The above tests could likely qualify.