Haplogroups in Albanians

Dale Cooper

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Croatian
Y-DNA haplogroup
I2a1b
Hello, I'm opening this thread because I don't understand something when it comes albanians... I went on page from this site: http://www.eupedia.com/europe/european_y-dna_haplogroups.shtml

And I agree with percentages shown on that link, everything is ok, but I don't understand one thing, and that is about albanians:

For every other nation when you count all percentages for all haplogroups you get the sum of 100% of all haplogroups found in some nation (country), and that's how it should be ofcourse, but when you count all percentages from this albanian section you get the sum from all this haplogroups: 93%... so what happen with other 7%?

I mean, which haplogroups albanians have in those 7% not mentioned amongst other haplogroups? C, P, L, A, H? I mean, is there any other haplogroups in albanians not mentioned above in that section for albanians on that picture I placed?

Greets :cool-v:

Hello, I'm opening this thread because I don't understand something when it comes albanians... I went on page from this site: http://www.eupedia.com/europe/european_y-dna_haplogroups.shtml

And I agree with percentages shown on that link, everything is ok, but I don't understand one thing, and that is about albanians:

For every other nation when you count all percentages for all haplogroups you get the sum of 100% of all haplogroups found in some nation (country), and that's how it should be ofcourse, but when you count all percentages from this albanian section you get the sum from all this haplogroups: 93%... so what happen with other 7%?

I mean, which haplogroups albanians have in those 7% not mentioned amongst other haplogroups? C, P, L, A, H? I mean, is there any other haplogroups in albanians not mentioned above in that section for albanians on that picture I placed?

Greets :cool-v:

what is missing is the H1 for roma gypsies.

there is another thread where I provided a link which had HG and also the 4 languages of albanian

Plus, in ancient times, this link/s had albanians as Molossians from Pindus mountains west of thessally

what is missing is the H1 for roma gypsies.

there is another thread where I provided a link which had HG and also the 4 languages of albanian

Plus, in ancient times, this link/s had albanians as Molossians from Pindus mountains west of thessally

Hm... so all 7% which is missing belonges to H1? but why would anyone make research on gypsies in Albania, knowing this is a genetical research only on autohtone ethnic people of every and each country? Or that H1 belonges to "gypsies" who said for themselfs they are albanians?

The missing 7% are most probably Haplogroups not listed. H (Roma Gypsies) and L for example.

The same is also the case in Kurds of Anatolia. From the 9% "other" around 6% are R2a and 2% C.

The missing 7% are most probably Haplogroups not listed. H (Roma Gypsies) and L for example.

The same is also the case in Kurds of Anatolia. From the 9% "other" around 6% are R2a and 2% C.

thx for this information, I suspected it's somethin like that :)

Looking back to your question I found a source that I hope helps.
Mutation History of the Roma/Gypsies

Bharti Morar,1 David Gresham,1,3 Dora Angelicheva,1 Ivailo Tournev,4 Rebecca Gooding,1Velina Guergueltcheva,4 Carolin Schmidt,5 Angela Abicht,5 Hanns Lochmu¨ller,5 Attila Tordai,6Lajos Kalma´r,6 Melinda Nagy,6,9 Veronika Karcagi,7 Marc Jeanpierre,10 Agnes Herczegfalvi,8David Beeson,11 Viswanathan Venkataraman,12 Kim Warwick Carter,2 Jeff Reeve,13Rosario de Pablo,14 Vaidutis Kucˇinskas,15 and Luba Kalaydjieva1

The 8–10 million European Roma/Gypsies are a founder population of common origins that has subsequently
split into multiple socially divergent and geographically dispersed Gypsy groups. Unlike other founder populations,
whose genealogy has been extensively documented, the demographic history of the Gypsies is not fully understood
and, given the lack of written records, has to be inferred from current genetic data. In this study, we have used
five disease loci harboring private Gypsy mutations to examine some missing historical parameters and current
structure.We analyzed the frequency distribution of the five mutations in 832–1,363 unrelated controls, representing
14 Gypsy populations, and the diversification of chromosomal haplotypes in 501 members of affected families.
Sharing of mutations and high carrier rates supported a strong founder effect, and the identity of the congenital
myasthenia 1267delG mutation in Gypsy and Indian/Pakistani chromosomes provided the best evidence yet of the
Indian origins of the Gypsies. However, dramatic differences in mutation frequencies and haplotype divergence and
very limited haplotype sharing pointed to strong internal differentiation and characterized the Gypsies as a founder
population comprising multiple subisolates. Using disease haplotype coalescence times at the different loci, we
estimated that the entire Gypsy population was founded ∼32–40 generations ago, with secondary and tertiary
founder events occurring ∼16–25 generations ago. The existence of multiple subisolates, with endogamy maintained
to the present day, suggests a general approach to complex disorders in which initial gene mapping could be
performed in large families from a single Gypsy group, whereas fine mapping would rely on the informed sampling
of the divergent subisolates and searching for the shared genomic region that displays the strongest linkage disequilibrium
with the disease.
I hope this helps.

A more recent study about the Arbereshe in Italy has published the haplogroups for 223 Albanians, splitting them between Tosks and Ghegs (see Supplementary table 4)
https://www.nature.com/articles/ejhg2015138#s1

They have found 4/223 samples haplogroup F, which is probably the Gypsy H1a, as it was not tested further than F.

A very good job is doing The Albanian Bloodlines project, all the results could be seen here as some are invisible for non-members of the project:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...UT3vRseKd450hbbUvBs_j0CkU/edit#gid=1024387137

The ability to locate and share adds insights that wee once unimaginable. Thanks for your insights,

This thread has been viewed 20129 times.

Back