I do not know which test to take

MartinSupernova

Reaction score
First of all, forgive me if I posted this thread somewhere i wasnt supposed to. I am new to this forum and geneaolgy in genral, and i hope you hope you will be helpful in the process of making me understand a science that interests me greatly.

I have always been a fan of genetics, but rather ethnics as in ethnic groups, where ones forefathers came from and so on. Lately it has come to my attention that i can DNA test my own "genetic heritage" and find out to which haplogroup i belong. But im not really sure what test i should purchase, or from which provider.

What im really interested in knowing are the genetic make up of the Y-dna haplogroup.

I am a dane, which means i come from a relatively genetic homogenous country, but my the skintone on my fathers side of the family implies that i might have southern european roots a while back, allthough none of the family members can remember hearing of a recent immigrant among the ancestors.

Is it possible to determine such a thing using these tests? If im identified as a certain haplogroup, will it make it possible to determine the degree of different ethnic groups (norse, celtic grecco-roman etc) in the DNA?

23andMe is the most complete and best value test on the market at the moment. I have no hesitation about that.

If you're only interested in your Y-DNA, I would recommend Family Tree DNA over 23andMe; their Y-DNA STR and SNP testing are superior. But if you're really interested in this...

Is it possible to determine such a thing using these tests? If im identified as a certain haplogroup, will it make it possible to determine the degree of different ethnic groups (norse, celtic grecco-roman etc) in the DNA?

...then you aren't going to be well-served with only a Y-DNA test. Y-DNA, obviously, only tests one line of your ancestry. To get a broader picture, autosomal tests are usually preferred (although the interpretation of your autosomal DNA will likely be more speculative than interpretation of your Y-DNA). A standard 23andMe test does a bit of both, and may be the most useful to you.

An autosomal test (full heritage), would be the best to get an aproximation. Then, as others noted above, 23andme is the best option. They'll give you your Y-DNA and MtDNA (wich possibly is not the same accurate as other companies, but enough to get a good idea) and they also provide a raw data with the most relevant ancestral markers. Sending this raw data to the genetic projects like Dodecad or Eurogenes, you'll get different admixture proportions, and that's probably what would clarify more your heritage.

By the way, there's actually lack of Danish samples, so it would be very interesting to see some results. That's only possible if more participants come.

Good luck ;)

This thread has been viewed 7502 times.

Back