Greeks; Who overlaps with them?

Which groups overlap with Greeks significantly? Multiple choice.

• Spanish

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Portuguese

• French

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Italian

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Sardinian

• Maltese

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Sicilian

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Bosnian

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Serbian

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Macedonian

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Ukrainian

• Romanian

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Bulgarian

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Turkish

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Armenian or Georgian

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Iranian

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Lebanese or Syrian

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • North Africans (Berber)

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Egyptians

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Jews

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Southern italians, malteses, fyromians, albanians, bulgarians, montenegrins, romenians, serbians, western turks, cyprots, maybe southern ukrainans too

Last edited:
Italian (Southern only), Maltese, Sicilian, Bosnian, Macedonian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Turkish (East Greece only)

I know for a fact that Southern Ukrainians from Moldova/etc have Turkish input from conquests.

Yeah very tough choice. Isn't it obvious that we'd cluster with those populations nearest to us? Southern Balkans (why Bosnia, I don't know) and the Eastern Mediterranean.

Primarily Southern and Central Italians, Maltese and Sicilians.

Certain Greeks overlap, patrilineally, with North Africans (25-30% of greek men are haplogroup E), middle easterners (
20% are J2 which is most common in the northern Middle East/ Fertile Crescent area. Note that the island of Crete has an extra high j2 frequency of nearly 40%.) some overlap with Slavs ( 15 or so percent of greek men are R1a.) Celts ( about 10-15% of greek men are R1b) and also indigenous men form the Balkans similar to Bosnians and herzegovinans ( 10-15% of Greeks have dinaric haplogroup I-M423 most frequently seen in Balkans.) overall, patrilineally, Greeks are not as "homogenous" as was once believed of them all aging the same genetic point of origin.... As with the rest of European women, 40% of greek women are mtdna group H, 15% are J, which is one of the highest concentrations in all Europe ( came from Middle East highest frequencies in Arabian peninsula), 10% are mtdna T, which as a haplogroup mostly migrated from Middle East through Caucasus mountains to steppes of Russia where it is most common in Europe today. 10% are U and another 10 or so percent are some other rarer lineage but this does not make-up the majority or the whole of greek mtdna

correction, as was believed of them all HAVING the same point of origin, sorry : )

Adamo.. Greeks don't overlap with north africans.. Ymtdna taken singualry don't say anything about ones ethnicity, it's just a single gene!; it can ne conditioned by founder effect etc.. so if you have L mtdna doesn't make you african, or q mtdna doesn't make you asian

Certain Greeks the E-V13 ones in particular, correlate with the Balkans region E individuals, but one must remember that E-V13 descends from E-M78, a Libya-egyptoid north-African variety of E. they don't "directly" correlate with north-Africans, but 25-30% of them share a haplogroup that arrived from the Egypt region of north-Africa. That's what I meant by "cluster", in a very distant way.

Well that's the truth; a known fact so if you don't like it that's fine, E-V13 descends from E-M78

Yeah some have E, E-V13 in particular , came to Balkans where it originated, was E-M78 before that from the Libya-Egypt region,25-30% of greek men are E-V13 not North African but Father of V13 was North African,that's all I'm trying to say

As far as Greeks go I will add that I have always found the people from the Aegean islands to have a definite Anatolian sort of look that seems to be a lot weaker on the mainland, where I see more continuity with other Balkan groups. Has anyone noticed this?

Southern italians, malteses, fyromians, albanians, bulgarians, montenegrins, romenians, serbians, western turks, cyprots, maybe southern ukrainans too

I agree. I'd add Ashkenazi Jews as well, they and Greeks share IBD and AJs plot in the gap between Greeks and Cypriots.

As far as Greeks go I will add that I have always found the people from the Aegean islands to have a definite Anatolian sort of look that seems to be a lot weaker on the mainland, where I see more continuity with other Balkan groups. Has anyone noticed this?

Prior to the arrival of Paleo-Balkanic Greek tribes in the late Neolithic. The Aegean islands already had pre-existing populations such as Minoans.

Prior to the arrival of Paleo-Balkanic Greek tribes in the late Neolithic. The Aegean islands already had pre-existing populations such as Minoans.

Carians also lived on some of the islands in the Aegean, and they had moved there from western Anatolia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 12833 times.

Back