Iran threatens Turkey

padrE

Reaction score
If the USA or Israel attacks Iran, the country threatens to attack NATO missile defense system in Turkey (I wonder, what weapons will they use? Conventional or nuclear?). This isn’t the first alarm to the danger which the NATO missile defense systems location in European countries constitutes. These systems will be the first target if an operation is launched...but the main danger constitute the principles of missile defense system functioning. The fact is that it’s extremely difficult to shoot down an ICBM with nuclear warheads when it is already on the flight path... The missile defense system shoots ICBMs down on the takeoff... I mean in the airspace of the country where this system is located. You can read about nuclear explosion and its effects here (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_nuclear_explosions). And now let’s do a thought what danger do we run while our government locates missile defense system elements in our countries.

But Iran does not have nuclear weapons. It has a nuclear energy program, and according to IAEA inspections there is no evidence of a weapons program in Iran.

But Iran does not have nuclear weapons. It has a nuclear energy program, and according to IAEA inspections there is no evidence of a weapons program in Iran.

I think Iran right now doen't have them.

But I cannot deny that some evidence point to that they want to have them and they are building the infraestructure for that.

Why do they threten Turkey? One explanation that I heard was that if Iran was to respond an attack by Israel, their missiles could be intercepted by this system. Therefore, the probability of an attack by Israel increases, thinking themselves literally shielded for an Iranian response... I really don't know if that holds 100% since the fly of Iranian missiles will be over Syria and Iraq...

middle_east_95.jpg

... but of course, that could be done depending of the range of the propossed anti-missile system.

From a more immediate geopolitical point of view, Turkey (with wich generally I sympathise) is lending themselves as a plataform to destabilize Syria, an ally of Iran and Russia.

That's why the Russians recently moved missiles "Yakhont" and S-300 to Syria, and plan to move the aircraft carrier "Almiral Kutznetzov" to Tartus.

From that "thread", you could go to the Russian Elections, the renewed approachment between Russia, China and Iran, and so forth...

But this is not material for the current thread.

Regards.

before I start talking

admistrators, please do not merge my new account with the previous one, as that has (in previous attempt) made my account not usable - getting "server too busy" message almost every time I try to load a page or submit a comment on the forum when logged in, and having my posts (achieved after zillion trials to submit them) look messed up due to losing all empty lines and many spaces)

well, Turkey is closest NATO country to Iran. However, I do not think that Iran would revenge to Turkey in case it is attacked by NATO. It would probably try to hit Israel with rockets. Because Turkey is also islamic country and because Turkey is probably stronger than Iran in military sense.

before I start talking

admistrators, please do not merge my new account with the previous one, as that has (in previous attempt) made my account not usable - getting "server too busy" message almost every time I try to load a page or submit a comment on the forum when logged in, and having my posts (achieved after zillion trials to submit them) look messed up due to losing all empty lines and many spaces)

well, Turkey is closest NATO country to Iran. However, I do not think that Iran would revenge to Turkey in case it is attacked by NATO. It would probably try to hit Israel with rockets. Because Turkey is also islamic country and because Turkey is probably stronger than Iran in military sense.

it can happen, one is shite and the other sunni

Therefore it is now understandable that why Turkey is a member of NATO. The main objective of NATO is to protect its members.

This thread has been viewed 9333 times.

Back