Basque and Haplogroup J1c

spongetaro

Elite member
Reaction score
J1c is found at 10% among Basque people. When you look at this distribution map, it looks like the dark areas show the oldest form of R1b (L23, M173) in western Eurasia. There is also a medium dark area around Austria.

mtDNA_J1c.jpg

Sorry, I don't know what are you trying to say. Also, I find a bit precipitate claiming that haplogroup J1c it's found at 10% aprox among Basques, when the Eupedia haplogroup table shows only 1% (J as whole). Maciamo posted recently the details of these newer info here: http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?26805-New-mtDNA-amp-Y-DNA-frequencies-for-the-Basques

If there's a relevant MtDNA between them this is, undoubtedly, H. The extremely high percent of H, and also the substantial MtDNA U (mostly U5 subclades), are the main things which worth to mention. J1c does not seem much significant till the moment.

spongetaro
J1c is found at 10% among Basque people. When you look at this distribution map, it looks like the dark areas show the oldest form of R1b (L23, M173) in western Eurasia. There is also a medium dark area around Austria.

What J1c is concerned, is DNAY or mitochondrial?

What J1c is concerned, is DNAY or mitochondrial?
This is not relevant as both J1 (Y-DNA and MtDNA) aren't much present between the Basques. Doesn't matter which table you check, J1 is less than 1% among Basques.

By the way, the thread belongs to the MtDNA section, so a mistake like this it's not likely since Y-DNA J1 in Europe is far more uncommon than the maternal one listed the same way. Impossible to find 10% of such Y-DNA in Western Europe, very simple and easily noticeable by inspection of the haplogroup frequencies listed here, in Eupedia.

Finally, you should also read carefully what I post before clicking the not helpfull option, because now it's perfectly clear that you don't really care at all if it's correct or not (100% logic for more you check). You just click (-) systematicly due to personal issues, which of course it's pretty childish when becomes so evident.

With all said and being so clear, just hope you find this one useful ;)

I have made the total of all available mtDNA studies in the Basque population, and the average for over 800 samples (reported here) is only 5.5% of mtDNA J. Only ancient samples had over 10% of J, and specifically J1c, but the sample size was small.

Yes Maciamo, you are right. I erroneously checked T (1%), but 5% it's stil far away from 10%. No need to say anything about Y-DNA J1 in the Basque country (0.5%).

A doctoral thesis at the UPV / EHU has made a detailed study of maternal lineages (mtDNA) from three native populations of the Cantabrian coast, in order to clarify the role of these populations in the postglacial recolonization of Europe. The study by Dr. Sergio Cardoso Martin confirms the importance of the lineages H1 and V, and further proposed to take into consideration J1c lineages, and T2b U5b genetic markers as demographic milestone in the evolutionary history of human populations in Europe.

UPV / EHU
the Basque Country
16.10.2008 15:48

Marcadores genéticos de la recolonización europea

El estudio ha permitido confirmar la importancia de los linajes H1 y V —los más abundantes en la muestra de individuos analizados— como marcadores genéticos de la recolonización postglacial desde los refugios del suroeste de Europa. Asimismo, los datos del estudio demuestran que los subhaplogrupos T2b, J1c y U5b constituyen ‘linajes maternos paleolíticos’ bien conservados hasta el presente y con frecuencias relevantes en la zona del refugio franco-cantábrico, por lo cual se sugiere su inclusión en futuros estudios dedicados a la búsqueda de huellas genéticas del repoblamiento postglacial de Europa y a la evaluación del impacto de este hecho demográfico en el modelado del patrimonio genético de las poblaciones europeas contemporáneas.

Fuente: UPV/EHU

The study has confirmed the importance of the lineages H1 and V-the most abundant in the sample of individuals analyzed, as genetic markers of postglacial recolonization from refuges in southwestern Europe. In addition, survey data show that subhaplogrupos T2b, and U5b J1c constitute "Palaeolithic maternal lineages' well preserved until the present and relevant frequencies in the Franco-Cantabrian refuge, which is suggested by their inclusion in future studies on the search for genetic fingerprinting of postglacial repopulation of Europe and assessing the impact of this demographic fact in shaping the genetic heritage of contemporary European populations.

http://www.agenciasinc.es/Noticias/...nisa-cantabrica-en-el-mapa-genetico-de-Europa

My God!, it is possible that my mitochondrial DNA comes from there.

I was tested at 37 chromosomes and my five match to 37 are in Scotland and other people some of Navarra to 12, but had not given importance.

This study provides the most complete autochthonous mtDNA phylogeny of the Franco-Cantabrian region constructed to date, which has allowed the identification and characterization of several haplogroups specific to the human groups inhabiting this geographic area. As such, we propose maternal lineages U5b1f, J1c5c1 and V22 as autochthonous of the Franco-Cantabrian region and, more specifically, of the Basque population. Findings on haplogroup distribution increase the number of autochthonous female genetic lineages of the region known hitherto. The cluster of specific haplogroups with a putative pre-Neolithic origin (including H lineages) accounts by now for at least 35% of the mtDNA variation in the targeted area, which substantiates the claim of a predominant Paleolithic genetic substrate in extant European populations. Overall, these results give further support to the notion that the autochthonous populations currently inhabiting this region show perceptible signals of genetic continuity with Mesolithic hunter-gatherer groups that took refuge in the Franco-Cantabrian fringe during the last glacial and postglacial periods of Europe.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0067835

This is not relevant as both J1 (Y-DNA and MtDNA) aren't much present between the Basques. Doesn't matter which table you check, J1 is less than 1% among Basques.

It is relevant. You look at data of ancient burial grounds and comparing the data a trend will be revealed which indicates what an original group settling in the pyrenees might have been rather than the mix between tribes we are seeing there today.

I’m J1c1 test on gedmatch eurogene for almost all Baltic states, Scandinavia, GB. Western Europe. French Basque Spanish basque ( didn’t know existed) small portion of AJ

I am J1c2b and of Irish maternal origin (maternal grandmother's maternal grandmother was born in 1873 in western County Waterford); I've read that that clade is restricted to the British Isles, but probably came from Iberia with the Gaels of Galicia (as there seems to be a peak of J in that particular Spanish region in a map I saw), so hola mis primos Vascos! (I'm not going to even attempt to put it in Basque, so I will go with their second language, for the majority, in Spain)

Since your dad is O-, you carry the rh- and O at least recessively.
Look more into your mother's background
R1a is not a haplogroup common for people who are rh negative. At least not as common as R1b or J in some areas.
I am J1c2b and of Irish maternal origin (maternal grandmother's maternal grandmother was born in 1873 in western County Waterford); I've read that that clade is restricted to the British Isles, but probably came from Iberia with the Gaels of Galicia (as there seems to be a peak of J in that particular Spanish region in a map I saw), so hola mis primos Vascos! (I'm not going to even attempt to put it in Basque, so I will go with their second language, for the majority, in Spain)

I am very knowledgeable about my mother's background, she is 75% English, 12.5% Irish, and 12.5% French. I know less about my father's background for the simple fact that his mom and dad split up when he was six, and they (him and his brothers) don't talk about their biological father much. My father was born Frederick P. Sellers III in Van Nuys, California, sixty years ago yesterday. After Nana remarried and they all moved across the country to Florida, the boys took their new stepdad's last name as a way to start over. I just started learning more about my paternal line this spring; my grandfather was born in Chicago, as was his father and grandfather, while his grandfather's parents were both born in Germany. So my father is Irish, Sicilian, German, and a little bit of Native American.

This thread has been viewed 25084 times.

Back