DTG

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Macedonian
Y-DNA haplogroup
I2a2
mtDNA haplogroup
U4
Hello to all, this is my first post on this forum and i think it's a great form just by reading through some of the threads. I have found alot of information here. :)

I was born in Australia but by ethnicity i am Macedonian. My Paternal DNA is I2a(2?) and my Maternal DNA is U4. can i get some information from both I2a and U4, for example origin and possible ancient tribes. that would be much appreciated.

Hello to all, this is my first post on this forum and i think it's a great form just by reading through some of the threads. I have found alot of information here. :)

I was born in Australia but by ethnicity i am Macedonian. My Paternal DNA is I2a(2?) and my Maternal DNA is U4. can i get some information from both I2a and U4, for example origin and possible ancient tribes. that would be much appreciated.

Hi, DTG, from a fellow I2 & U4 carrier. It would be helpful to get the subclades of your haplogroups if you want more information. My best guess for a Macedonian I2a would be I2a-Din. Assuming so, look for information on I2a1b1a, or I2a2a as it used to be called (beware: a new I2a2a took its place that is totally different). Some initial reading: Maciamo's I2 page, my Paleolithic Remnants map, and our discussions on the history of I2a-Din (its history is contentious).

U4 is a very old (~25k YBP or so) Eurasian subclade that has been distributed lots of places across Europe and into Asia for a long time. So we can't narrow it down much for you without a subclade, and even then it may be difficult. IIRC its diversity peaks in the steppes, but it has also been all over Europe since at least the Mesolithic, possibly even the Paleolithic.

Thanks for the fast reply. My paternal subclades were determined to be, I2a2a-M423-Din-S.

Thanks for the fast reply. My paternal subclades were determined to be, I2a2a-M423-Din-S.

OK, yes, I was right. I2a1b1a is the current full hierarchical name for "I2a-Din," which is shorthand. The "S" represents the cluster that you belong to within it. There is an older cluster called "N" with membership mostly in places like Russia, Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, and Greece. You are in the younger cluster "S" with membership mostly in the Balkans, in places like Bosnia, Serbia, Macedonia, etc.

Very interesting. Could Illyrian be my possible ancient tribe? what are other possibilities?

Very interesting. Could Illyrian be my possible ancient tribe? what are other possibilities?

A lot of members here think Illyrian is a possibility, others think Sarmatian (that theory is explored here)... personally, I think it's Slavic (and before that, Cro-Magnon!). Definitely read the thread I linked to earlier.

A lot of members here think Illyrian is a possibility, others think Sarmatian (that theory is explored here)... personally, I think it's Slavic (and before that, Cro-Magnon!). Definitely read the thread I linked to earlier.

i heard and read about this theory from elsewhere before, but you left out one detail of this theory, the illyrians in this theory resided on the danube, north and south of it, from vienna, incorporating, czech, slovak and hungarian lands with HG I - this is bronze age scenario

what is this cro-magnon

This thread has been viewed 7111 times.

Back