Tyco

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian/German/ScotsIrish
Y-DNA haplogroup
J1
mtDNA haplogroup
H
Greetings all, I am brand new to ancestral genetic research but find it extremely fascinating. I just received my results form the Genographic Project and was quite surprised. I've always considered myself of European background, my fathers is Italian with family in the Camapnia and Lazio regions of Italy and my mother is German and Scots Irish. My mother's family is from Hanover, Germany. My Genographic results were mtdna - H and Ydna - J1. I was very surprised when I saw that J1 is "Semitic". I assume that mtdna H is not unusual for a female of Western European heritage but now I want to dig deeper into the J1 aspect of my lineage. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should proceed to dig further and figure out as much as possible about my paternal lineage? I would like to be able to narrow down as much as possible. What and where the J1 comes from, Neolithic migration? Muslim expansion? Phoenician/Carthaginian trade migration? Roman expansion? Etruscan? Jewish? Again, I am a complete neophyte and would appreciate suggestions. Thanks...

Few think that all of J1 is Semitic. Something more narrow like J1c3d probably corresponds better to the Semites. Have you read Maciamo's J1 page? What's your J1 subclade?

Great link, thank you. It explains allot but I can see that I have much more to learn. I don't know what my sub clade is yet but I have forwarded my basic Genographic results to FTDNA for further testing, I am hoping for the results in about a month or so. I am hoping to find out approximately when my ancestors arrived in Italy if that is possible. It's very surprising to see that J1 is possibly Arab or Jewish, I'd like to be able to narrow it down. This is what I received from the Genographic project:

J1/M267
DYS393:12 DYS439:11 DYS388:17 DYS385a:14
DYS19:14 DYS389-1:14 DYS390:23 DYS385b:17
DYS391:10 DYS389-2:Nan DYS426:11 DYS392:11

Still trying to figure out what this means! Thanks for the response.(y)

Great link, thank you. It explains allot but I can see that I have much more to learn. I don't know what my sub clade is yet but I have forwarded my basic Genographic results to FTDNA for further testing, I am hoping for the results in about a month or so. I am hoping to find out approximately when my ancestors arrived in Italy if that is possible. It's very surprising to see that J1 is possibly Arab or Jewish, I'd like to be able to narrow it down. This is what I received from the Genographic project:

J1/M267
DYS393:12 DYS439:11 DYS388:17 DYS385a:14
DYS19:14 DYS389-1:14 DYS390:23 DYS385b:17
DYS391:10 DYS389-2:Nan DYS426:11 DYS392:11

Still trying to figure out what this means! Thanks for the response.(y)

Welcome to the forum Tyco. Your haplotype appears similar to the only Italian participant in the J1* Y-DNA Project. Is this individual you? In general DYS388 = 17 is unique to you within the project. If you have not yet ordered a deep clade test I would suggest you contact the project administrator first. Keep us informed!

That's me, is the dys 338=17 unusual? Does it tell anything as far as my ancestral migration is concerened? I have upgraded to a 67 marker test and have just ordered the deep Clade test as well, thanks for the suggestion. Is there any way to tell if my ancestors were Jews or Arabs? or if they arrived in Italy during prehistoric times? My whole family is waiting for me to provide answers, I think I opened Pandora's Box! Thanks again.(y)

Hello,

My dad just recieved his results which are J1 m267.
DYS393 12
DYS19 14
DYS391 10
DYS439 11
DYS389-1 13
DYS389-2 18
DYS388 16
DYS390 23
DYS426 11
DYS385a 13
DYS385b 18
DYS392 11

Im still trying to understand all of this. I went through my life thinking that my grandfather and his family were German and Irish. According to the results my dads trail ended 10,000 years ago..I really dont get that. It seems that TYCO and my dad have similiar results.

This thread has been viewed 6697 times.

Back