Lithuanian N1c1

Linas72

Reaction score
Hello,

The table in the Eupedia say that there are 42% of N (the most of which are, as we know, N1c1) and 38% of R1a in Lithuania, but I know the only primary source, an article Y Chromosome and Mitochondrial DNA Variation
in Lithuanians
by D. Kasperavičiūtė, V. Kučinskas and M. Stoneking (2003) (Annals of Human Genetics (2004) 68,438–452), which gives an entirely reverse proportion: 36.7% of N1c and 44.9% of R1a. The latter proportion has been calculated for ethnic Lithuanians, living in Lithuania, not for entire Lithuania, but, assuming that ethnic Lithuanians (approx 80% of the total population) have the bigest rate of N1c1 among statistically significant groups in the country, the controversy remains.:useless: So, my question is, which data are obsolete and which are correct. Any suggestions. Thanks.

I got the same doubts about the data Eupedia (Maciamo) has provided. So according:
eupedia.com/europe/origins_haplogroups_europe.shtml#Y-DNA

mostly one source was (could be) used for Lithuanian DNA data: Y Chromosome and Mitochondrial DNA Variation in Lithuanians, Kasperaviciute et al. (PDF) source from Northern Europe category.

We can find it here: onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1529-8817.2003.00119.x/pdf

and on page 8 we got: Two major haplogroups in Lithuanian males arehaplogroup R1a and haplogroup N3, comprising 45% and 37%,respectively, of all Y-chromosomes.

Maciamo could you be so kind and provide other sources of which you filled (if are any other) Lithuanian distribution in your table. Thanks.

This thread has been viewed 13058 times.

Back