Sarmatians in Gaul

Diviacus

Reaction score
Much of our information about Sarmatians in Gaul is contained in Notitia Dignitatum, which details a list of Roman civil and military settlements in the Roman Empire. This document was written under Honorius (395-423).

The Notitia Dignitatum contains 6 Praefecti Sarmatorum in Gaul. The end of the list is missing. These are:

- Praefectus Sarmatarum gentilium et Taifalorum gentilium Pictavis : POITIERS
- Praefectus Sarmatarum gentium a Chora Parisios usque : From La Cure to PARIS
- Praefectus Sarmatarum gentilium inter Remos et Ambianos : From REIMS to AMIENS
- Praefectus sarmatarum gentilium per tractum Rodunenses et Alaunorum : ROANNE
- Praefectus Sarmatarum gentilium Lingonas : LANGRES
- Praefectus Sarmatarum gentilium Au… : the end of the name can’t be read, and most historians understand it as Augustodunum : AUTUN

Most toponymists consider that several dozens of French place-names are related to Sarmatians. These place-names are Sermaize, Sermoise, Sermage,…These place-names are attested between the 10th and 13th centuries as Sarmasia, Sermasia, Sarmacia, Sarmatii castrum, Villa Sarmatica, Sarmace,…

The map hereafter indicates the 6 known Praefecti Sarmatarum in Gaul and the concentration of “Sarmatian” place-names in nowadays French Regions. The most important concentration is in the Burgundy Region.
Roughly, the location of the Sarmatarum Praefecti fits quite well with the nowadays “Sarmatians” place-names.

this reminds me of R1a distribution being elevated in some areas in France especially around Paris
sarmatiansingaul.jpg
Haplogroup-R1a.gif
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?26677-New-R1a-map

R1A_map.jpg

in fact, this suggests that Sarmatians were R1a people, which makes sense considering their mythical theory of origin from Scythians (R1a people based on archeological DNA) and Amazone woman...

this does undermine some theories that Sarmatians were carrying I2a-Din component that gave e.g. Serbs and Croats, as I2a-Din is not existant in France...

but is in correspondence with my theory that search origins of Serbs in peoples with tribal names such as Scordisci / Sherdana /Serians / Cimmerians.... Seneca says Serians lived along Danube, in Caspian highlands among Sarmatians, and rulled over scattered Scythians, and also as far as Serica in northwest China.... this makes it clear that Serians were neither Scythians (proto Balto-Slavs probably) nor Sarmatians.....

Attachments

• Haplogroup-R1a.jpg
    Haplogroup-R1a.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 5
questions -What are you naming 'sarmatian': all times Sarmatians? Do you distinct the Alans (Alani) tribes from their cousins? (people say that the Alani was still numerous enough in Northern France after the dispersing of a lot of them in other regions: interesting because some of the Y-R1a and Y-G2a in these northern areas can maybe be attributed to an Alani influence?) -Are you sure that the percentages of diverse DNA studied in the present day Paris Area are the conitnuity of the ancien Île-de-France? (I'm from France and I've not too much comfidence in the genetic surveys about its "regions" and the deepness of ancestry taken in account in them when speaking about big metropoles centred regions)

I'd like to introduce myself. I'm the moderator of a surname DNA project.

I'm trying to unravel a mystery. My haplogroup is R1a1a1 confirmed by Deep Clade R.
SNP testing reveals that I am Z93+ M417+ M198+ Z94- Z284- Z283- Z280- PK5- P98- M64.2- M56- M458- M434- M157.1- L342- L176.1-

This makes me anomalous as Z93 is Asian, if positive at Z94 that would be Arab, Jew, Indian, Persian, but I am negative at Z94.

My historical roots (patrilineally) are in England, earliest documented ancestor was a wealthy landowner in Tudor England during the reign of Henry VII (1471) apparently untitled nobility, as only nobility owned land and sufficient land to raise sheep and build a textile factory.

It is believed that his ancestor was a Norman companion of Duke Wm in 1066, the surname is locational and French sounding, his forename is Flemish..

There are more than 25 members of this project, all sharing the same DNA with minor mutations, but cousins, all claiming the same common ancestor in West Riding Yorkshire.

West Riding is not far from the Sarmatian barracks at Ribchester. The Sarmatians did not return with the Legion when Rome left Britain, but had married into the local community and established themselves. Apparently some served as core of the Border Reivers along the English Scottish border.

At the moment, my choice of ancestry seems to be between the Alani of northern France and the Sarmatians of Ribchester.
I do not think I can resolve this issue, without participants from France (there is not much in the way of French participation in DNA projects) and of course Participants from the border counties of England and Scotland

This thread has been viewed 12457 times.

Back