Is European Union discriminating?

georgianacremene

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I decided to write this letter and spread it around because at this point I, as a Romanian citizen, wonder what exactly European Union is. Romania is a member state since 2007 and after 5 years of membership we encounter such problems.
Probably a lot of people coming from Eastern European countries know what I'm talking about. However, the problem of equal and fair treatment is rarely discussed.
My main goal is to start a debate about equal treatment and non-discrimination at the European level. I will also open this website for other stories to be added.
Please read, comment, share: discrimination-in .eu

Thank you!

It looks like you are not aware of the political agreements that accompanied the acceptation of the 12 new member states from central and eastern Europe into the EU. One of the conditions for Romania and the 11 other countries to join the EU was that workers from their countries could be subjected to work limitations during a transition period in a number of old member states, including Germany, Austria, the Benelux and France. Countries like the UK, Ireland and Spain didn't impose such restrictions. The transition period is now over for member states who joined in 2004, but not yet for Romania and Bulgaria, who joined in 2007. The transitional provisions may be up to 7 years, and therefore will only expire in 2014.

Your open letter to the EU is a waste of time. They will tell you exactly the same thing.

My problem was not the political agreement itself. Of course I am aware and I know about it.
My problem was the treatment I received. I waited 6 months for a reply, when instead the Luxembourg Ministry could have rejected my file in the same day, if they wanted to use the justification of my nationality. Is their right to do it, but be clear about it. If they would have clear specifications as "We do not hire Romanian people, except in the areas as agriculture, viticulture, hotel and catering" it would have been something else. But it's not like this. The countries asking for a work permit are stating only that Romanian and Bulgarians have to go through certain procedures in order to obtain these work permits (meaning that if you comply with this procedures and if there is nothing wrong with your file, you obtain the work permit), and in the areas as agriculture, viticulture, hotel and catering etc they have simplified procedures.
And again, my problem regarding the EU is that the Commission asked the member states to maintain the restrictions for two more years (till 2014) only if they prove to have serious disturbance on the labor market. However, I doubt that countries like Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Austria and others proved that (except Spain), and the European Commission just let it be. This seemed unfair! There was no diplomatic discussion following this and everybody just accepted it (including my government), which I don't consider it to be normal. Where is the real justification, where is the fair treatment? At least the fair treatment for debating.
It's a matter of principle...

Brussels approves Spain again request a work permit to Romanians
The measure will run until December 31, 2012

http://politica.elpais.com/politica/2011/08/11/actualidad/1313067280_563642.html

Spain can only apply this restriction until December 31, 2012 and must report regularly to the Commission about the progress and effectiveness of the action to Andor, however, is not the answer to high unemployment. The new regulation means that the Romanian citizens who intend to come to work in Spain as an employee must obtain prior authorization based on the existence of an employment contract. The measure does not affect those who show they are registered as unemployed or discharged from Social Security. The Ministry of Labour clarified that the measure only limited access to work, no freedom of movement, so a Romanian without a work permit or residence can travel freely in Spain but not get a job

My problem was not the political agreement itself. Of course I am aware and I know about it.
My problem was the treatment I received. I waited 6 months for a reply, when instead the Luxembourg Ministry could have rejected my file in the same day, if they wanted to use the justification of my nationality. Is their right to do it, but be clear about it. If they would have clear specifications as "We do not hire Romanian people, except in the areas as agriculture, viticulture, hotel and catering" it would have been something else. But it's not like this. The countries asking for a work permit are stating only that Romanian and Bulgarians have to go through certain procedures in order to obtain these work permits (meaning that if you comply with this procedures and if there is nothing wrong with your file, you obtain the work permit), and in the areas as agriculture, viticulture, hotel and catering etc they have simplified procedures.
And again, my problem regarding the EU is that the Commission asked the member states to maintain the restrictions for two more years (till 2014) only if they prove to have serious disturbance on the labor market. However, I doubt that countries like Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Austria and others proved that (except Spain), and the European Commission just let it be. This seemed unfair! There was no diplomatic discussion following this and everybody just accepted it (including my government), which I don't consider it to be normal. Where is the real justification, where is the fair treatment? At least the fair treatment for debating.
It's a matter of principle...

Welcome to the world of bureaucratic administrations. However your complaint regards Luxembourg, not the EU. I doubt that bureaucracy is much faster in Romania though...

deleted

How do u delete a message here...... Oh God , so complicated....

Last edited:
Discrimination story

This is an interesting subject to debate. It appears the economical downturn has really stepped up the discriminatory actions of some western countries. I read about the story of some girl who was hired by an NGO in Luxembourg and was denied to work in Luxembourg because the government did not allow romanians. She has an open letter to the EU, explaining her situation on discrimination-in.eu

Also practiced positive discrimination. This person told me that is a little burned with the issue because there is so much fraud and rogue lot by many immigrants at the time of abuse and plunder public social services and, above all, a lot of irresponsibility on the part of those responsible for these services public social control when providing subsidies and payments.

http://www.wonderones.com/la-quinta...cion-positiva-para-espanoles-en-nuestro-pais/

Positive discrimination of an immigrant family in Catalonia (Spain):

- He charges 500 euros husband of the Government of paying "social" monthly for a year and a half (when it ceased to receive unemployment benefits and the subsidy of 420 euros INEM)

- They charge 750 euros per month in exchange for school children, children have free school place (of course, it is a public school, but do not forget that it costs a paste Administration) and eat
three children in school! being able to eat at home because their parents do not work and because the school is 100 meters from home, the monthly cost to the Government of the three dining spaces are 900 euros per month, 300 euros per child.

- The city paid 450 euros per month for renting the apartment. Indeed, marriage has its own car and computer and internet at home (the council paid monthly Internet bill that family).

- The city gives them 400 euros per month to be exchanged for food at supermarkets Plus.

- The city paid monthly heating bills (gas, 150
per month on average), light and water.

- The children have enjoyed total free space and dining in the
municipal kindergartens while they were infants.

- Children have free all utensils and baby food to 3 years (baby food, diapers, cart-baby ...).

- In addition, this family regularly attends delivery of food (food bank) and various parish council, plus the supply of our own NGO. And by the way, one child is injured
sullenly at school, because instead of taking the child to the public every day of rehabilitation, as we all do, because the parents are unemployed and, of course, have time (and car) for it, then no, the
Government sends them home every day to a rehabilitator (a contractor, which should cost the Government a paste).

'These children attend a formal course of football in the evenings to pay it, too, the Generalitat, 350 per month for 3 children. Extracurricular activity that is paid out of pocket most parents
cited school Spanish.

- The father of that family was injured while working in construction (it takes 3 years to stop!) And prescribed a back brace as orthopedic, cost: 450 euros. Social Security pays $ 350 of that strip
every Spaniard, but the rest have to put the sick. For the immigrant went to city hall and got the $ 100 remaining to be paid in orthopedics.

Bring out the calculator and sumad they receive in cash, in kind and what they cost in public spending each month. Ruin.

Everything I have narrated it know for sure because I've been, in part, attention to this family (and many others, too).

I only say one thing, to finish: it has to burst, this is unsustainable. Now I fully understand that the Government and the City are in bankruptcy, although we hide

This thread has been viewed 7419 times.

Back