Lituanian I2a2*

eviladam

Reaction score
I just got my 37marker y-dna test back today from ftdna. The haplotree shows me as I2a2* I tested negative for P41.2 and L161 and no more SNPs to order. So I would like to learn more about my subclade and if there are more Lituanians with the same DNA as me or where ever else you may be from as I would like to peice a trail of where my family might actually be from.

My best guess based on what you've tested is that you're I2a-Din. In terms of SNPs, L621 and L147.2 are probably still useful to test. But we can probably tell just based on STRs, since I2a-Din has a very identifiable STR signature... do you have your markers on YSearch, or better yet, in the I2a Project?

Ok i just submitted to join the I2a project on FTDNA and I have not yet joined Ysearch.

*edit*Just joined Ysearch, What info of mine do you need to find me on either of these?

Ok i just submitted to join the I2a project on FTDNA and I have not yet joined Ysearch.

*edit*Just joined Ysearch, What info of mine do you need to find me on either of these?

To find you on Ysearch, I just need your user ID. For the I2a Project, your Kit # is the best thing to find you with.

Awesome here is the info for both of those!
FTDNA kit: 211002
Ysearch User ID: ZJ2GW

Awesome here is the info for both of those!
FTDNA kit: 211002
Ysearch User ID: ZJ2GW

Got it. You're definitely the subclade nicknamed I2a-Dinaric-North, or I2a-Din-N for short. In the current Nordtvedt nomenclature, you're L621+, L147+, giving you the full hierarchical subclade "I2a1b1a." See Nordtvedt's tree and map. ISOGG doesn't recognize L147 and have a different tree structure than Nordtvedt, so in their system, you're "I2a1b3." Others, like FTDNA, don't recognize the common I2a SNP L460, and are therefore likely to call you "I2a2" or something similar. You'll notice that the FTDNA Project has you under the heading "I2a2a-M423-Din-N in ISOGG tree, I2a2 in FTDNA tree." That is basically right, although they have the ISOGG nomenclature out-of-date.

I2a-Din-N is probably over 2000 years old, but less than 3000 years old. It is descended from older Haplogroup I clades, which have been in Europe since the Paleolithic. It is the older of the two I2a-Din branches, with the other, I2a-Din-S, being notable for its extremely high frequency in the Balkans (see this thread). I2a-Din-N probably originated in Ukraine, and appears to have a close connection to Slavic migrations historically (although that doesn't necessarily mean that I2a-Din-N is exclusively Slavic). Being typically Slavic, it is not common in Lithuania, reaching frequencies of no more than 5% or so. Compare to Russia (~10%), Ukraine (~20%), Belarus (~17%), etc... although it is also quite common in some non-Slavic areas, like Romania.

It could have gotten to Lithuania a number of ways, and unfortunately, it may be difficult to place when, exactly, it arrived.

This thread has been viewed 7744 times.

Back