Migraine Headache.

hope

Elite member
Reaction score
Do you suffer migraines?
If so, then you will know how nasty they can be. Migraine can last anything from a few hours to three days (maybe more if you are especially unfortunate)
In this time you may (apart from the intense headache) suffer with nausea and vomiting, be sensitive to light or/and sound.
Sometimes we know what "triggers" our own migraine, it could be foodstuffs such as nuts, cheese, wheat, alcohol, milk or caffeine to name a few.
It could also be too much or too little sleep, stress, certain lighting or bright computer screens (lighting is one of my triggers esp. computer screen.)
Some migraine sufferers may get a "pre warning" signal before the onset; this might be confused thinking or odd smell or strange light ; these
are collectively known as "aura". In my case I get the white light which effects my vision and makes focusing in on objects difficult.
Theories regarding migraine can differ, as there are those who hold that migraines are genetically inherited ( not in my case) or those who
say they are a neurological disorder, however this to my knowledge has not been confirmed by evidence. Also some others have linked migraine to bipolar syndrome:

http://www.headachedrugs.com/archives/bipolar_spectrum.html

So for those of you who do suffer the delights of migraine, do you get any pre warning signals, how do you deal with them or do you , like me, just wait them out?

Runs in my family on mother side. I got migraines once or twice a week, and it is a 24 hour affair, from morning till next morning. I used to drug myself with Aspirins, Tylenol, Excedrin, you name it just to ease the pain. Recently I found Zomig, it is from Triptan family. It kills any migraines in about one hour, yes it ends migraine, and not just numbing the pain. I can't live without it now, lol.
Don't suffer hope, get Triptan, it is a miracle! :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triptan

PS. It kills hangovers too. :)

Runs in my family on mother side. I got migraines once or twice a week, and it is a 24 hour affair, from morning till next morning. I used to drug myself with Aspirins, Tylenol, Excedrin, you name it just to ease the pain. Recently I found Zomig, it is from Triptan family. It kills any migraines in about one hour, yes it ends migraine, and not just numbing the pain. I can't live without it now, lol.
Don't suffer hope, get Triptan, it is a miracle! :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triptan

PS. It kills hangovers too. :)

Yes, they are a nasty thing Le Brok and I`m glad you found something that is helping you with yours.
Thanks for the link, I gave it a read and I think it would be safe to say I`ll be seeing my doctor in the not so distant future :)

I have a condition called migraine in the stomach, it took the doctors a while to figure out what was wrong with me, it is a very rare condition...

I have a condition called migraine in the stomach, it took the doctors a while to figure out what was wrong with me, it is a very rare condition...

Hi Minty :)
It`s strange because I only recently heard of "stomach migraine" while reading an article about digestive disorders. Up to then I was unaware there was such a thing.
Seems those migraines are out to get us not only "whenever" they can but also "wherever". :(

I hope you don`t suffer too much but being that it`s migraine thats probably not going to be the case.

I get migraines on occasion, and they tend to be triggered by sunlight. Luckily, I get a warning in the form of an aura. It lasts for about 20 minutes, and once it stops, I have approx. 30 minutes until a full blown migraine headache kicks in.

My hands become tingly, and they start to stiffen -- it looks as though I have cerebal palsy... My face, tongue, stomach, hands, and feet go numb. I've been checked out, and it's not a stroke.

To remedy this problem: I take two ibuprofen, elevate my legs above my head, and put ice underneath the base of my skull, all the while lying in a dark, quiet room. Doing this seems to help the migraine pain subside much faster.

I get migraines on occasion, and they tend to be triggered by sunlight. Luckily, I get a warning in the form of an aura. It lasts for about 20 minutes, and once it stops, I have approx. 30 minutes until a full blown migraine headache kicks in.

My hands become tingly, and they start to stiffen -- it looks as though I have cerebal palsy... My face, tongue, stomach, hands, and feet go numb. I've been checked out, and it's not a stroke.

To remedy this problem: I take two ibuprofen, elevate my legs above my head, and put ice underneath the base of my skull, all the while lying in a dark, quiet room. Doing this seems to help the migraine pain subside much faster.
I sympathise with anyone who suffers migraine Mitsuo and you seem to have some bad ones.
I have been searching for any new studies into them for several months , there are some, but I feel they are still a little random as they cover things from one extreme to the other and most things in between. EG. Some causes can be.."Starting a new job----loosing your job. Too much sleep---not enough sleep" and so on , I think you`ll get the idea.
The funniest piece of advice however to help with migraine was "Some might find light exercise can help during migraine"! (obviously written by someone who had never suffered migraine.) Although it does make an amusing picture..trying to touch your toes or jogging around the house with an ice-pack on our heads, in the dark, curtains closed, sunglasses on and clutching a basin just in case of vomiting!
I wonder how long before a new study would be published something to the effect of "Rise in domestic accidents can be related directly to migraine sufferers"!!

Last edited:
I sympathise with anyone who suffers migraine Mitsuo and you seem to have some bad ones.
I have been searching for any new studies into them for several months , there are some, but I feel they are still a little random as they cover things from one extreme to the other and most things in between. EG. Some causes can be.."Starting a new job----loosing your job. Too much sleep---not enough sleep" and so on , I think you`ll get the idea.
The funniest piece of advice however to help with migraine was "Some might find light exercise can help during migraine"! (obviously written by someone who had never suffered migraine.) Although it does make an amusing picture..trying to touch your toes or jogging around the house with an ice-pack on our heads, in the dark, curtains closed, sunglasses on and clutching a basin just in case of vomiting!
I wonder how long before a new study would be published something to the effect of "Rise in domestic accidents can be related directly to migraine sufferers"!!

Ha! Yeah, that does paint quite the amusing picture. I couldn't imagine any movement, let alone exercising, when having a migraine.

Well, let's hope we never have one again! :cool-v:

Last edited:
[h=3]Do People with Allergies Suffer More Migraines?[/h]
In at least one study, this appears to be the case. People with allergic rhinitis were determined to meet criteria for migraine headaches far more likely than people without allergic rhinitis. In fact, those with allergies were approximately 14 times more likely to report migraine headaches compared to those without allergies.Other studies show an association between migraine headaches and allergic asthma, and that the occurrence of migraines in children with atopic diseases is increased. Furthermore, approximately 40% of children with migraine headaches show the presence of allergies through allergy testing.
[h=3]Do Food Allergies Cause or Worsen Migraine Headaches?[/h]
There is much controversy in the area of food allergies related to migraines. While some experts believe that foods can worsen migraines through an
allergic process
, others believe the trigger is a result of
food intolerance
. It is possible that migraines are triggered by both allergic and non-allergic reactions to foods.

with me antihistamines do help.

hope this helps...

with me antihistamines do help.

hope this helps...

Um, how did you get the quoted text to move off to the side like that?

Um, how did you get the quoted text to move off to the side like that?​

Why, is it giving you a migraine?​

Why, is it giving you a migraine?​

Will you two eedjits stop messing round with moving letters, it actually is giving me a sore head. But first tell us how to do it :)

Will you two eedjits stop messing round with moving letters, it actually is giving me a sore head. But first tell us how to do it :)

You use the tags "LEFT" or "RIGHT" around what you want to scroll. Basically, delete the # characters out of this:

[#LEFT]scroll me from the left[/#LEFT]
[#RIGHT]scroll me from the right[/#RIGHT]

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

You use the tags "LEFT" or "RIGHT" around what you want to scroll. Basically, delete the # characters out of this:

[#LEFT]scroll me from the left[/#LEFT]
[#RIGHT]scroll me from the right[/#RIGHT]

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

That's clever, thank you. :)

This thread has been viewed 11156 times.

Back