P310... and this tells meeee?

KCarnley

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Polish/Ukrainian with some German, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Choctaw for extra seasoning
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b1a2a1a1, R-P310
After months of getting pushed back for further testing my deep clade results are in. I am R1b1a2a1a1, R-P310 (L11*). Unfortunately Family Tree DNA does a poor job explaining the outcome. (I'm not exactly feeling like I'm getting my moneys worth if you know what I mean.) So what does this tell me about my genetic lineage? I don't fall into the subgroups. Why is that? There seems to be little information available that gives detail on P310. Everything seems to focus on the subgroups but that is of little help when they apparenty don't apply to me.

So, for a little background. Family lore is that we come from Ireland. I can only assume this was because of the spelling of the last name, even though it doesn't appear in any known records relating to Ireland. Genealogical evidence seems to point to my paternal ancestors originating in southwest Germany, specifically the area of Baden. As was often the case with the illiterate, we believe the name mutated over time as it became "Americanized". The point of having the DNA research done was to help shed some light on what was most likely... did we come from Ireland? or... did we come from Germany?

Now good people of the forum, how do I interpret these results?

I can say nothing about your DNA results but there will be some here who will be able to do that.
In regards to your surname Carnley however, I think it may be of anglo-saxon origin.

I can say nothing about your DNA results but there will be some here who will be able to do that.
In regards to your surname Carnley however, I think it may be of anglo-saxon origin.

I know the name CARNLEY can be found in England going back at least 500 years. There is an Anglican archbishop in Australia with the same spelling. The current belief, based upon a lot of convincing circumstantial evidence, is the name actually should be more along the lines of KIENLEIN. We have seen the evolution of the spelling over the last 250 years in America to its current form. The fact that it is spelled the same as the English version appears completely coincidental.

But hey, it was a complete shock when, after hearing ALL MY LIFE, the Carnleys were from Ireland, that there wasn't a shred of evidence to prove it and the German origin seemed more probable. There are people in my family that flat refuse to believe anything but the Irish lore. That's why I'm relying on DNA to add another piece to the puzzle and hopefully put us in a location to try finding records in Europe. At this point if DNA nixes the whole German theory then so be it. The Carnley genealogists will just have to go back to square one.

R1b-L11* is somewhat uncommon, and particularly so for Ireland, which is dominated by R1b-L21. It has a wide geographic range, however, which includes both Ireland and SW Germany, so just knowing the deep clade test result doesn't narrow it down for you. It would be more productive for now to look at where your closest STR matches within R1b-L11* are located. You can start by trying to find matches on YSearch, and by joining the ht35 Project and seeing who under R1b-L11* is closest to you in terms of STRs. You may find a geographic pattern.

Interestingly, I was in a similar situation as you before I did a Y-DNA test. Family tradition in my family was that my patriline was German, but I was surprised to learn that another branch of my family supposed our origins to be Scots-Irish instead. My surname, however, sounds rather English, leading to speculation that it was either Anglicized from a German name or Anglicized from a Scottish Gaelic name. And since my family could be traced back to Western Pennsylvania in the late 1700s, both remained possibilities (except that I found that the "German" candidates were actually Swiss). So, I took a DNA test, and matched perfectly with a person who descended from a different branch of the Swiss family I suspected, and I clustered with several other Swiss-origin individuals, as well. That solved that. Good luck on having a similar level of success.

info re P310

After months of getting pushed back for further testing my deep clade results are in. I am R1b1a2a1a1, R-P310 (L11*). Unfortunately Family Tree DNA does a poor job explaining the outcome. (I'm not exactly feeling like I'm getting my moneys worth if you know what I mean.) So what does this tell me about my genetic lineage? I don't fall into the subgroups. Why is that? There seems to be little information available that gives detail on P310. Everything seems to focus on the subgroups but that is of little help when they apparenty don't apply to me.

So, for a little background. Family lore is that we come from Ireland. I can only assume this was because of the spelling of the last name, even though it doesn't appear in any known records relating to Ireland. Genealogical evidence seems to point to my paternal ancestors originating in southwest Germany, specifically the area of Baden. As was often the case with the illiterate, we believe the name mutated over time as it became "Americanized". The point of having the DNA research done was to help shed some light on what was most likely... did we come from Ireland? or... did we come from Germany?

Now good people of the forum, how do I interpret these results?

Don't know if this helps.Its one of my markers too; came with my results from national geo dna test-
[h=2]Branch: P310[/h] [h=3]Age: To Be Determined[/h] [h=3]Location of Origin: West Asia[/h]

Members of this lineage have traveled to Central Asia, Europe, and the Levant region. One descendant branch has the highest frequency of any male line in Western Europe. However, rather than a single movement across Europe, this lineage’s branches may represent many simultaneous and successive waves of migration.
Today, it is 48 to 52 percent of male lineages in Ireland. It is 45 percent of those in France. It is about 38 percent of the male population in Spain. It is about 8 percent of male lineages in Italy. It is about 5 percent of male lineages in Oman. It is 1 to 2 percent of the male population in Iraq and Lebanon. It is also 1 to 2 percent of the male population in Kazakhstan.
Note: This branch is not accompanied by a major movement on the map, and research on this branch is continuing
My heritage is Irish and Carnley does sound Irish,similar to Carney or Karney.Hope this helps,

Hello: my branch is P310) too (in my father's line), and I am Basque. And all my family, since 1565 as I know, is Basque.

Irish, French and Spanish have P310 at highest percentages. As posted above about 1 out of 2 Irish men are P310, 45% of French men and 40% of Spanish men.

Irish, French and Spanish have P310 at highest percentages. As posted above about 1 out of 2 Irish men are P310, 45% of French men and 40% of Spanish men.

This thread is about P310*, rather than P310 as a whole. Don't confuse P310+ with P310*. P310+ means P310+ without implying anything about downstream SNPs. P310* means P310+ P312- U106-. The Irish have tons of L21, which is a subclade of P312, meaning that many of them are P310+, but few are P310*.

This thread is about P310*, rather than P310 as a whole. Don't confuse P310+ with P310*. P310+ means P310+ without implying anything about downstream SNPs. P310* means P310+ P312- U106-. The Irish have tons of L21, which is a subclade of P312, meaning that many of them are P310+, but few are P310*.

I found this comment to be very interesting. I'm pretty new to all this (just got my results yesterday from Geno 2.0). I've looked around quite a bit to try to figure out what all the different numbers and symbols mean. Is there a link for anything on Eupedia or elsewhere that gives a summary of what +, -, and * mean? Or the relations between the different marker names? I've checked out ISOGG, too, and haven't found anything yet that "lays it all out".

For example:

One person told me that my test shows that I'm p310+ and p312-. On the other hand, on the Eupedia phylogenic tree for R1b, it shows df19 (my terminal marker) as being downstream of p312, not p310.

Anyway, it's all quite hard to figure out, looking at it for the first time.

This thread has been viewed 18657 times.

Back