Your Haplogroup (are you pleased or disappointed with it?)

foryouandme

Reaction score
mtDNA haplogroup
Ursula
My best friend and I planned to have our mtDNA done together. While we awaited our results, I was hoping I'd be a rare uncomman haplogroup and my friend didn't mind which one she would be. Rather ironically, when we recieved our results it turned I am U5a - Ursula (one of the most comman haplogroup, at least in Europe), and my is friend I1a - Iris (one of the most rare mtDNA haplogroups in the world). Personally, I am disappointed with mine. No disrespect to fellow Ursula's out there.

My best friend and I planned to have our mtDNA done together. While we awaited our results, I was hoping I'd be a rare uncomman haplogroup and my friend didn't mind which one she would be. Rather ironically, when we recieved our results it turned I am U5a - Ursula (one of the most comman haplogroup, at least in Europe), and my is friend I1a - Iris (one of the most rare mtDNA haplogroups in the world). Personally, I am disappointed with mine. No disrespect to fellow Ursula's out there.

If you clear your head of any links with nationaltic, linguistic or religous groups ( which where not around at the time of your genes) , then to me its all good regardless of what you are

I didn't feel pleased or disappointed-just very surprised and enormously curious. My background is very ordinary, with a family tree firmly rooted in the English Midlands. I expected to belong to a large haplogroup such as H. Now I'm intrigued by haplogroup V! I'm researching my maternal line to try and find their origins. So far I've got back to rural Oxfordshire in 1831. Hopefully, as more people are tested the origins of my subclade will become clear.

I wasn't really hoping for a rare haplogroup just for the sake of having a rare haplogroup and feeling special for it. But having a rare Y-DNA lineage has proved useful for matching, since there is little convergence. My mtDNA haplogroup has only been disappointing in that it hasn't told me a lot about my matrilineal background that I didn't already know.

My haplogroups are at the other end of being special, lol. Well, I'll take what I'm dealt and do best out of it. :)
Y and M haplogroups are only couple of percent of all DNA, so they don't mean much in general configuration of being human anyway.

Hi! I am not really disappointed. For Y DNA I was kinda hoping for one of my both favorite haplogroups which are E-V13 and R1a, and for MT DNA I really thought( I do not know why) that I am going to be either J or T. For Y DNA I also wanted to get T,coz it is really cool and rare. Well I got J2(J2a) for Y DNA and H for MT DNA and I am quite happy with it. Genetic testing is so cool!

I like my haplogroups. I was really surprised with my maternal line though, it seems it's very widespread in Europe but with no regional representative presence. I certainly expected my mum having H or U5, but I'm pleased :)

I wasn't really hoping for a rare haplogroup just for the sake of having a rare haplogroup and feeling special for it. But having a rare Y-DNA lineage has proved useful for matching, since there is little convergence.

I've had the opposite result. Having a rare haplogroup has, for me, meant that DNA testing hasn't yielded very many results at all, and won't until until more holders of my haplogroup get tested. It's interesting on one hand, but disappointing on the other.

I am anoyed on how they (whoever) designate markers as religious, linguistic or nationalitic signs, like the T group. If you are T1a , you are 50% jew and came from the middle east if you are T1b you came from anywhere between tanzania to zimbabwe and are not Jew.
What is this jew thing, it makes no sense, are they saying that the marker which is 10000 plus years old was already jewish. When did jewry begin 10000 years ago?.

This is the "fantasy" I was recently given on my lineage which is still designated as unknown until I do SNP tests.
Tanzania to Taurus mountains Turkey, to Chios, to Crete, to Epirus to eastern alps. ?????? really LOL.

I am NOT unhappy with mine.... as I stated it all good.

As for my mtdna which I did in 2008..............I might need to do another.

On another matter, markers being renamed, ....................is there a site which holds all the changes made to all the HG groups and sub groups?

You may not know the scope and the subject still see it as getting the latest model car or perfume etc.

If I had another haplogroup would not be yourself, would not exist and it's a miracle that with all the variations and combinations you are in the world, so give thanks that your haplogroup is what it is.

I'm happy with mine, do not know how versatile it is, I pound a lot of evils, the only thing that struck me is that would match to 67 in Northern Ireland and Scotland and only 12 with someone from my country, specifically Navarre, as regards the mitochondrial.

As for the DNA And I have to wait a few years probably, considering that only represents the whole of Spain 0.28%, you can not find a single Spanish E on forums, facebook and I think research is captive to political interests religious and delay making your research, because I will be playing wait.

Do not deny herself.

I am anoyed on how they (whoever) designate markers as religious, linguistic or nationalitic signs, like the T group. If you are T1a , you are 50% jew and came from the middle east if you are T1b you came from anywhere between tanzania to zimbabwe and are not Jew.
What is this jew thing, it makes no sense, are they saying that the marker which is 10000 plus years old was already jewish. When did jewry begin 10000 years ago?.

This is the "fantasy" I was recently given on my lineage which is still designated as unknown until I do SNP tests.
Tanzania to Taurus mountains Turkey, to Chios, to Crete, to Epirus to eastern alps. ?????? really LOL.

I am NOT unhappy with mine.... as I stated it all good.

As for my mtdna which I did in 2008..............I might need to do another.

On another matter, markers being renamed, ....................is there a site which holds all the changes made to all the HG groups and sub groups?

Wow dude, you're T1b? that's so interesting, what is your ethnic background? Apologies if you've mentioned it before, i'm new to the forum and an Australian also.

Wow dude, you're T1b? that's so interesting, what is your ethnic background? Apologies if you've mentioned it before, i'm new to the forum and an Australian also.

lol, welcome

yes T1b and doing a SNP ATM
I am classified as "unknown" in T project as one of my markers DYS464 is the only one in all of T which is 11-11-11-11 (Sparkey can confirm)

Ethnic background is - Australian born, parents from northEast Italy tracing direct line back to 1791, then to 1710 with breaks then to 1588 with breaks...............so I do not count these and so stop at 1791. ( all in North East Italy )

lol, welcome

yes T1b and doing a SNP ATM
I am classified as "unknown" in T project as one of my markers DYS464 is the only one in all of T which is 11-11-11-11 (Sparkey can confirm)

Ethnic background is - Australian born, parents from northEast Italy tracing direct line back to 1791, then to 1710 with breaks then to 1588 with breaks...............so I do not count these and so stop at 1791. ( all in North East Italy )

Wow cool, thanks for sharing.

(edit) btw, i'm yet to be tested, do you have any recommendations about through which company i should do business with?

Wow cool, thanks for sharing.

(edit) btw, i'm yet to be tested, do you have any recommendations about through which company i should do business with?

i used ftdna, but i got a good discount (20%) through myheritage site.

i did the 37 marker which seems to be the minimum to do

I wasn't really hoping for a rare haplogroup just for the sake of having a rare haplogroup and feeling special for it. But having a rare Y-DNA lineage has proved useful for matching, since there is little convergence. My mtDNA haplogroup has only been disappointing in that it hasn't told me a lot about my matrilineal background that I didn't already know.

Yes Sparkey for matching it's Great we can tell our clan with 12 markers . But for any other info it is worthless

Yes Sparkey for matching it's Great we can tell our clan with 12 markers . But for any other info it is worthless

What other info are you looking for? I was able to prove what my surname was before it was Anglicized (confirming what I already suspected); I improved the confidence in the geographic region of origin; I found the half-dozen most closely related families to have tested so far; I determined some of the most likely explanations for the current distribution of my haplogroup, which gives me evidence regarding the historical migration of my patriline all the way back to the Stone Age...

Though, as I mentioned, that was my experience only for my Y-DNA. I probably ought to have a FGS for my mtDNA at some point if I intend to get even close to the same amount of information with it. At this point, I'm not even sure which was the most likely migration to have introduced my mtDNA line to Britain.

I also know all about my Huguenot Y line at least back the 1500's in France I want DNA to tell the Ancient story

As Sparkey has mentioned above, belonging to considerably rare haplogroup can be useful to pinpoint the origins.
I did the test several years ago but till now I have not a single match even among the I2c from the Caucasus-Anatolia region.

My maternal hg is more restricted to the Caucasus.

I did not test myself so far. But the area where I am from is high in R1b and with a good amount of G2a, J2, R1a and I.

I haven't done a MTDNA test yet, but I had an irrational fear that I was going to find out that I was sub-Saharan African, Polynesian, or South American or something else that would completely warp my conception of my ancestry. I was very pleased to find out that I am European through and through on my patrilineal descent as an I2A2A.

This thread has been viewed 49471 times.

Back