Hah! Just asking for wisdom over here! Aspiring young gent seeking travel/life advice

Independant

Reaction score
I'm a eighteen year old who has not done anything stupid with his life, nothing really outgoing either. I want to travel to somewhere away from the dry, dusty area of phoenix, arizona. I'm sick of cactuses and big city life. The most experience I have is as a usher in a movie theater and waving around a sign at a street corner for 30 bucks a day. I want to get a job waiting tables or under construction, and If I go in the direction of waiting tables, I want to move on to becoming a bartender, and have already looked into how to become one. I have made a goal to save up money until my lower twenties (20-25), gaining experience on the way, and then finally moving somewhere obscure in europe. I'm sorry if this sounds like a naive teenage dream, but its something I really want to do! All I can offer right now is hard work in AZ, but when I take the big step towards being somewhere else other than here, I'm afraid I will probably be quite lost after transitioning.... Haha.....

So if this is too specific, can anyone offer me some grade-A advice for what to do when I take the big step, or anything else that might be useful for me to know, you know.... life advice, Hah.

Go now! Stop thinking about it and do it now. You don't have to move forever, but there's never a better time than now. At age 21 I had the opportunity to reenlist in the U.S. Army and go to Germany - all expenses paid. I could have spent 3-4 years stationed there and traveled all over Europe - and this was pre-Iraq war fiasco. I got out, went to college, got a mundane job, got married, had kids, and have never been to Europe yet. Responsibilities and money says I won't get a chance until I'm too old to really enjoy it...Go, have fun, and figure out how to pay for it later!

Where would you wish to go? Anglo europe, benelux, germany, scandinavia, france, southern europe?

I agree with Nasturtium, why wait for another 4 to 5 years? If your plan is to travel, get on the road as soon as you can. However, keep in mind that Europe is in trouble now, getting a job now is not easy, even as a waiter, and being a non-EU citizen, you'll have some interesting time dealing with bureaucracy. I would recommend you to start with the UK if you don't master any European language. If you have some time to kill, pick up a couple of languages and study as much as you can between now and your departure.

This thread has been viewed 5838 times.

Back