IGENEA tests any good?

joechill01

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b1a2a1a1b*
mtDNA haplogroup
U5b1b1
Is the IGENEA dna test reliable? Does it provide useful information as advertised on their website? They claim to pin-point your haplogroup's origins and migration patterns; as well as finding your ancient tribe on their premium offer. Is it too good to be true?

Also I'm a R1b and we all know how mucky and confusing that can be when it comes figuring out you're subclade so I ask to those who know; how deep does IGENEA test go into as far as r1b subclades go?

I've heard bad things about commercial test in general for giving false representation of ones history as fact. I think they generalize for the most part. You are part of the U106 subclad (Germanic branch of R1b , so they will probably trace your supposedly genetic trail parallel with Anglo Saxon migration into England, then onto Texas. They may say you originated with the Hallstatt region of Germany and migrated north to Scandinavia. This all depends on who's study they are currently using as a comparison. Your tribe would be the Angles, Saxons or Frisians.

As far as I know iGenea is not a reliable company and is notorious for its marketing campaign making unsupported claims (e.g. about Tutankhamen etc.)

FTDNA and 23andme are good choice.

Thanks for the feedback ebAmerican and Kardu!

I have done 23andme and as I posted on the Y-dna section of the forum (titled: Help in defining my R1b haplogroup), 23andme left me in quite of a tale spin as I found out that they really don't go into great depth in r1b testing. They labeled me as R1b1b2a1a which is very old and quite rare in folks as it is Pre-Celtic-Germanic, so either my family linage is very old or I didn't get my money's worth from 23andme... So would FTDNA help clarify my subclade?

I have checked their website and found their price in my spending range but it doesn't go into detail what they offer (such as maps, etc...). Has anyone done a test with FTDNA before? And if so was it beneficial to you in finding your ancestry?

On FTDNA you can get the best deep clade analysis and subclade allocation and join appropriate projects for further insights.

Will the FTDNA test results give me multiple subclades that I fall into or does it give me only one subclade with the strongest mutation?

There are no multiply subclades. You will get exactly your own.

Already going to place an order for a Y-dna test from FTDNA and as it turns my last name is already a established project there so I can get a discount if I order the Y-DNA12 test which comes to 99 bucks which is awesome on my wallet. But as I compared it to the other tests they offered, I found that Y-DNA12 is a lower level test with 12-marker match and said it can likely relate past 29 generations.

Compared to their most expensive test, Y-DNA111 which the highest level with 111 marker matches and can relate past 4 generations. Like I mentioned this one isn't cheap and comes with a price of a whopping 339 bucks.

Even though I'm probably going to end-up buying the Y-DNA12, I would like to know what my money is buying as I really don't understand the advertising gibberish.

Y-DNA 12 tests for the slowest mutation rate markers, that's why match on that level refers to a really old common ancestry.

You might need to get a deep clade test as well, although being R1b you will probably won't need it

You might need to get a deep clade test as well, although being R1b you will probably won't need it

What would a deep clade test reveal?

Is the IGENEA dna test reliable? Does it provide useful information as advertised on their website? They claim to pin-point your haplogroup's origins and migration patterns; as well as finding your ancient tribe on their premium offer. Is it too good to be true?

Also I'm a R1b and we all know how mucky and confusing that can be when it comes figuring out you're subclade so I ask to those who know; how deep does IGENEA test go into as far as r1b subclades go?

Igenea is concentrating on the European market with all its different languages including German, Spanish, French and Italian.
As far as I know it uses the ftdna database, it probably even uses its labs so it is either a franchiser or a daughter company of ftdna.

So if you speak English and pay with paypal or creditcard you are usually better off with ftdna itself because mainly it is much cheaper that way even if you live in Europe .

Igenea is concentrating on the European market with all its different languages including German, Spanish, French and Italian.
As far as I know it uses the ftdna database, it probably even uses its labs so it is either a franchiser or a daughter company of ftdna.

So if you speak English and pay with paypal or creditcard you are usually better off with ftdna itself because mainly it is much cheaper that way even if you live in Europe .
iGenea is just a partner of FTDNA, not a subsidiary or franchise. Actually I don't get why FTDNA even deals with such a low credibility company which uses not science but wild fantasies for marketing to attract consumers.

The deep clade test assigns you to the right final subgroup defined at the moment.

Ok so why wouldn't r1b need one? I mean I'm not complaining cause you're saving me from spending 339 dollars :p

Ok so why wouldn't r1b need one? I mean I'm not complaining cause you're saving me from spending 339 dollars :p
R1b is one of the most well-researched haplogroups and usually just from your haplotype they can predict your subgroup. Then you could just test for a specific SNP which project administrators would advise. SNP tests cost 29$

Thanks again Kardu!

iGenea is just a partner of FTDNA, not a subsidiary or franchise. Actually I don't get why FTDNA even deals with such a low credibility company which uses not science but wild fantasies for marketing to attract consumers.

Well, whatever it is if you test with Igenea you are actually testing with ftdna labs.

Maybe, but for some reason FTDNA doesn't tempt potential clients to discover their relationship with Tutankhamen like iGenea does :)

Maybe, but for some reason FTDNA doesn't tempt potential clients to discover their relationship with Tutankhamen like iGenea does :)

I agree, everyone knows you have to pay extra for bullshit... and that is Igenea. ;)

This thread has been viewed 27289 times.

Back