Passione Mediterranea
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Tuscan-Italian-(European)
mtDNA haplogroup
H5b
Your opinions of italians

if you want to post photos of people please post only photos of famous people

Hmm, sorry, Julia, can't really agree with any of the statements :) And what's Celtic look?

Hmm, sorry, Julia, can't really agree with any of the statements :) And what's Celtic look?

celtic look, pics of some northern italians
250px-Gianni_Morandi.jpg

nek_foto.jpg

vasco%20rossi%20salute2.jpg

439x.jpg

pezzaliIN4.jpg

merz_alessia_vallettaattrice_012_jpg_bqiw.jpg

tosi.jpg

cover_roberto-bolle.jpg

i've have this convinctions after some of my travelling all alnog the italian peninsula... this difference are a bit phenotypically, but mostly the more important are the behaviours.

And i don't want to say necessarly that one is negative or positive.. they are just different cultures..
i have mixed feeling, sometimes of the unity of italy... but some experiences made me rethink, we are just too different, and regional federalism should be the best solution.. i don't want to say secession, because it's too late now, also for the internal migrations

I am aware of many different phenotypes in Italy. For me Celtic is simply too vague term to be applied to physical characteristics. Germanic, Nordic, Middle Eastern, Alpine etc. are more or less ok, but I personally don't have a generalized picture of 'Celtic' in my head.
As for the differences, sure there are plenty of them, but this is normal for a big country.
For the last years I regularly visit different parts of Italy and must say that I am greatly fond of all the Italians despite the region :)

LOL

So you talk about the Iberian supposed inferiority complex and now it seems you care about what other people thinks concerning Italians. Amazing...

LOL

So you talk about the Iberian supposed inferiority complex and now it seems you care about what other people thinks concerning Italians. Amazing...

well, altought southern italians aren't middle eastern, in this period i'm rethinking about our unity.. mostly for sociocultural big differences, i've seen during some of my trips all along italy.. i think we are too much different, the physical differences (that there are, but not extreme) are a slim barrier; the big barrier is the culture.. when staying in conctatct with southern italians in southern italy, i felt like a fish out of water, first when they spoke in dialect (most of the time) i didn't understand much; then also the behaviour was rather different (not good or bad but different).. i didn't feel like i was in italy.. a thing that i feel when i'm in rome and upwards till milan, where people speak italian and the behaviour and culture is more similar with mine.. certainly in some remote part of northern italy, if they spoke in dialect it would be the same feeling.. an alien in their land.
guess, i felt more simpathy and cultural similarity with the foreign tourists there than with the local people

Sorry guys, taking in account the super-low birthrates of Europeans I consider the local nationalisms and regionalisms etc. in countries like Italy, Spain, UK etc. silly, destructive and blinding, akin to theological disputes about the number of Angels on a tip of a needle in besieged Constantinople of 1453...

LOL

I don't really care to be honest. I'll still be European at the end of the day, so I don't really care about what others think of Italians. I've pretty much heard it all. Iberians, Spanish-Portuguese, have the most African admixture (Fact). Sicilians have the most out of Italians (1%), but they're not really considered Italian and I don't consider them Italian either.

My choices:

- Northern italians look more central european than middle eastern
- Southern italians have majority of greek look

Most Southern Italians just look Greek, not Semetic.

Julia90,

Where abouts in Italy are you from?

As for the main topics:

It is manifestly true that Northern Italians look and act more Celtic and Germanic than Southern Italians. They also tend to be of a more subdued, serious culture, than the gregarious Southern Italians and Sicillians.

I wonder why quite a few argentineans having italian backnames are generally lighter and less typically med looking than italians from italy (even northern italians alone), at least you can notice it by looking at their sport squats, the italian squads usually look very mediterranean or dinarized-med, but the argentinean one not so. Are those argentinenans mixed with other european groups?

At the same time quite a few of the italians from the US (Italian-americans) look almost arab/middle eastern.

About real Italians (the ones living in italy, not the diasporas) I've never noticed that much difference between northern and southern italians except that a few italians from south could pass for lebanese, israeli, etc and a few of the north could make it to pass for slovenians, etc but nothing more that that. Most italians (even the north ones) fit well in the southern european range.

Julia90,

Where abouts in Italy are you from?

As for the main topics:

It is manifestly true that Northern Italians look and act more Celtic and Germanic than Southern Italians. They also tend to be of a more subdued, serious culture, than the gregarious Southern Italians and Sicillians.

still northern italians are closer to southern italians than they are to austrians (excepting the ones from sud-tyrol). Northern italians also flirt way more with women than a typical germanic person, they also tend to live longer at house with parents and importance of family is big, afterall it's still Italy. France is a different case, when I've been in northern france I didnt feel at all in southern europe, but some cross of western/central european mentalities and values, opposed to deep south mediterranean french coast where the southern european mentalities and lifestyle are all around.

I don't really care to be honest. I'll still be European at the end of the day, so I don't really care about what others think of Italians. I've pretty much heard it all. Iberians, Spanish-Portuguese, have the most African admixture (Fact). Sicilians have the most out of Italians (1%), but they're not really considered Italian and I don't consider them Italian either.

My choices:

- Northern italians look more central european than middle eastern
- Southern italians have majority of greek look

Most Southern Italians just look Greek, not Semetic.
You are obviously unaware of most research and I think you've never seen a global genetic plot. Keep your facts XD

Oh, and the post was for Julia, not for you, So it seems you finally care despite of your words.

well, altought southern italians aren't middle eastern, in this period i'm rethinking about our unity.. mostly for sociocultural big differences, i've seen during some of my trips all along italy.. i think we are too much different, the physical differences (that there are, but not extreme) are a slim barrier; the big barrier is the culture.. when staying in conctatct with southern italians in southern italy, i felt like a fish out of water, first when they spoke in dialect (most of the time) i didn't understand much; then also the behaviour was rather different (not good or bad but different).. i didn't feel like i was in italy.. a thing that i feel when i'm in rome and upwards till milan, where people speak italian and the behaviour and culture is more similar with mine.. certainly in some remote part of northern italy, if they spoke in dialect it would be the same feeling.. an alien in their land.
guess, i felt more simpathy and cultural similarity with the foreign tourists there than with the local people
Well it's ok Julia, no offense. I just disliked one of your posts, I have nothing against you.

still northern italians are closer to southern italians than they are to austrians (excepting the ones from sud-tyrol). Northern italians also flirt way more with women than a typical germanic person, they also tend to live longer at house with parents and importance of family is big, afterall it's still Italy. France is a different case, when I've been in northern france I didnt feel at all in southern europe, but some cross of western/central european mentalities and values, opposed to deep south mediterranean french coast where the southern european mentalities and lifestyle are all around.

The flirtation might be different than say...a German, but their sobriety compared to Southern Italians is notable. They are a much more serious, industrious, and ordered people compared to the South. Compare even the state of industry and business in prosperous Northern Italy, with the economically backwards South. Naples has a 30 percent unemployment rate.

They aren't as "nuclear" as central Europeans either, yeah.

this describes, the mentality of southern italians
http://www.albanesi.it/Mente/meridionale.htm in italian
trust me central and northern italians are more akin to swiss people mentality than to the southern italian one; just different cultures.. not good or bad

I translated this with Google and I must say:

The aspects of culture they identified as Southern are actually some good concepts. The article actually comes off as fairly offensive in crapping over the sense of family, the role of men, the notion of honour, religion, and breaking "small laws".

The problem with Southern Italian culture is the lack of industriousness, the over gregariousness, the lack of law and order, et cetera.

Northern Italians and Austrians are very close in autosomal tests concerning their affinities with West Asia/the Caucasus, that's what I noticed checking the few Austrian samples available. The main difference is that Austrians share more alleles with Northern Europeans, while Northern Italians do so with Southern Europeans. If I have to guess (because I never visited Austria), I would say that both populations are very similar in their facial traits, but Austrians have surely lighter pigmentation.

I wonder why quite a few argentineans having italian backnames are generally lighter and less typically med looking than italians from italy (even northern italians alone), at least you can notice it by looking at their sport squats, the italian squads usually look very mediterranean or dinarized-med, but the argentinean one not so. Are those argentinenans mixed with other european groups?

i know the argentinean population of european origin is composed by about 50% italians and 30% spaniards with the rest being of northern european descendance

Well it's ok Julia, no offense. I just disliked one of your posts, I have nothing against you.

ok, no problem for me too. :) f you want to ask me anything about federalism and sociocultural differences, or want to contribute with your imporessions you can do.

This thread has been viewed 90693 times.

Back