etymology of Albanian word "zëmër"

8mike

Reaction score
Hi, i recently read Vladimir Orel's etymological dictionary for Albanian language and i saw that no clear etymology exists for the word "zëmër" meaning "heart". Thinking about the sound shifts i initially thought about something like *widza-muna and i thought that there can exist some connection to "flamur" (i was thinking about *awalamuna) where the second part (*muna) may refer to "movement" or something like this. Can anybody sort this out? also, can you tell me if i am doing things right with the sound-shift reconstruction?

Hi, i recently read Vladimir Orel's etymological dictionary for Albanian language and i saw that no clear etymology exists for the word "zëmër" meaning "heart". Thinking about the sound shifts i initially thought about something like *widza-muna and i thought that there can exist some connection to "flamur" (i was thinking about *awalamuna) where the second part (*muna) may refer to "movement" or something like this. Can anybody sort this out? also, can you tell me if i am doing things right with the sound-shift reconstruction?

wik'apneh3mn

Its actually zemër f, pl. zemra 'heart; middle'

from etymological perspective I personally think it's somehow related to Sanskrit

SANSKRIT: samer (create)
SANSKRIT: samira (god of wind)

other possible relations

PASHTU: zaru (heart)
NURISTANI: ziri (heart)

Hi, I think that "zemer" derives from z+m= zeri im which mean "my voice". Zemer in tosk dialect, Zemen i geg dialect
I thought that albanian was composed and was based on two letters, but rather, language is based on one letter

probably comes from PIE ḱḗr, ḱ-> z

in these languages (ordiinary satem ones, indo-iranian) PIE *K' give rather /SH/ I believe, and /Z/ or /ZH/ come rather from < *G' - concerning albanian I do'nt know in details: sometimes *G' >> DH, so...

This thread has been viewed 28426 times.

Back