Father's results - mt- Haplogroup J1c8, any more information?

Jackson

Reaction score
Ethnic group
English/British Isles
Y-DNA haplogroup
I1-L22
mtDNA haplogroup
U5a1b4
Hi there,

I got my parent's 23&me results back very recently - I've used tools on GEDmatch, and talked to Doug McDonald for most things, although my father's mt-Haplogroup is J1c8, is a lot known about J1c/J1c8 in particular - In terms of origin/distribution?

I've done a bit of research (on top of what i'd already heard), and it seems it arrived in Europe with the Neolithic, and has a peak in Northwest Europe around the British Isles and Scandinavia. Also heard Haplogroup J was associated with producing more body heat - This is interesting because my father is very prone to overheating even in cool environments.

Looking at the haplogroup J project on ftDNA there seems to be four entries (outside North America) for J1c8, one in North/North-East Wales, one from Durham in northern England, and two from northern Germany. My Dad's mother's mother's lineage comes from the Cheshire/Lancashire area as far as i know.

Given that J has a relatively strong presence around the Irish Sea (Ireland, Western Britain, Scotland) i am much inclined to believe that it is of Brythonic or Gaelic origin. However, with the odd distribution on ftDNA (although i am well aware four is a very small 'sample' size), the fact that the only other J1c i'm sharing with on 23&me is a Norwegian, and that on here under the mtDNA J description it associates mt-DNA J with a Germanic distribution, i am unsure whether to ascribe it to a Celtic or Germanic origin. I could also add that there was Norse settlement in the region that this J1c8 comes from, but i very much doubt it was anything but male-dominated.

I'm posting this in the hope that someone else has some knowledge of J1c or J1c8 in particular that i don't have, to help clarify this for me, or if you have any other information or know of any others with J1c8 - I'd be grateful for any help.

Many thanks,

Sam Jackson

I am J1c8

My mothers family mostly I trace back to colonial America, but I believe mostly German. What countries aside from ancient times in the middle E. Where is this haplotype in the last 500 yrs? Thanks

This thread has been viewed 6365 times.

Back