Celts from Iberia

Robert22

Reaction score
So i learned recently on this forum that Celts actually come from Iberia rather than central europe.
Does this mean that celts were raher dark featured people ? but why are celts mostly discribed by romans as having milk white skin ? this doesnt suit with spanish people, but then again nor does it suit austtrian people for example, i rarely see people with very fair skimaybe it was just a exageration.
milk white skin would mean something like this: http://blockyourid.com/~gbpprorg/judicial-inc/82who_8.jpg
http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons/247/2473279/47_2008/0beef4fd9139d289_pales.jpg

especially considering celts coming from Iberia, such fair skin seems rather absurd. Even in Austria, i never see people with such fair skin...

I think they were darker, brown eyes being most common aswell as dark brown or light brown hair, for the romans light brown hair might seem blonde. also gauls were said to bleach their hairs. so maybe celts were indeed rather dark haired.
Also since celts now did not come from Central europe, what people lived there before the celts came ? and how large was the celtic impact ? were they more just influencing their language and acting as the upper class, or where the pre celtic population totally replaced by celts ? And what were they like ? Maybe mainly alpinids ?
But then the question is, why are all modern celtic people very fair if they actually came from a country were rather dark featured people would be more common ?

1- Celts coming from Iberia ("now"): the question is still without any sure answer, but it seams very unlikely; a cradle between Eastern or Southeastern France and Switzerland Bavaria appears to me more sensible, even if I 'm not sure -
2- coming OR PASSING THROUGH Iberia doesn't guarantee a dark complexion...
3- I agree that for southerners, light and even MIDDLE brown is a kind or "blond" (I check that more than a time) - and yet, the Italics gentry of Roman times was lighter than the present day central and southern Italians as a whole, and they knew red hairs too!

but we have skeletons, we have modern metrics means, we have modern pigmentation: I say: the historical Iron Age Celts was middle coloured haired for the most, middle and very fair skinned as a whole ('reds' skins more than 'blonds' skins), and middle and fair eyed as a majority not excluding darks ones - maybe the first (eventually true) Celts of France was more on the dark side BUT NEVER totally dark pigmented - and the desiquilibrium between hair on a side and skin+eyes on the other side seams having perdured to our times, even in the darker groups of Celts if you read some of my posts (example: differences in SW and SE Germany, breton pigmentation) - even in France today, except the N and E regions, the peasants and rural people as a whole show less true dark eyes than the towns people, and more light eyes and skins, except some old mediterranean refuges as Corsica and some southern cantons of provence and Pyreness and Aquitaine (towns: imigrees? different generations of southern merchants since the dawn of History? Romans? ancient Jews? Italians at diverse periods since Louis XIV?

But why do you think it is unlikely, at the moment everything seems to indicate they were actually from Iberia.
well, so what would your average celt (Gaul) be like ? can you post a picture of what you think ?
what is the average eye and hair colour of modern celtic regions in central franc ?
http://www.eupedia.com/images/content/france_races.jpg

I also dont think of celts as being as dark as modern spanish people, but i am sure they were darker on average than Germanic people. The picture of the dark and black haired gaul might is a especially dark one.

Last edited:
oh and, i never was in france so icant really say, what people are there like, but i guess french people are darker than germans ? maybe not northern french, who also have germanic influences but even central french (auvergne for example) people are darker than germans or austrians i think.

Last edited:
What does "Celts" mean for you, how do you define the term? And what has skin color to do with it?

I am primarly interested in central european celts, i thought celts from those regions. But if the really come from Iberia, i would guess they were also darker than generally thought.

I am primarly interested in central european celts, i thought celts from those regions. But if the really come from Iberia, i would guess they were also darker than generally thought.

As I said, how do you define who or what a "Celt" is? Linguistically? Culturally? Archaeologically? None of these have by themselves anything to do with outward appearance, hence asking for it is in my opinion superfluous. The same applies for the hypothesis that the "Celts" came from Iberia - if you do not define what a Celt is, it's irrelevant if that statement is right or wrong.

I would like to apologize if I may come about as a bit nitpicky in this discussion, but I think it would be important to address the above.

well i dont know, it seems celts were rather a linguistic/cultural group rather than true ethnicy, atleast thats what many others here say.

I think this thread is running after its tail!
1- Celt is primarily a linguistic concept
2- speaking celtic was being part of a society, a culture, all turning up finally into an ethny
3- surely the Celtic speaking society evolved physically along with time
4- if we want to speak about Celts look without loosing all our time we have to define the place and the time -
present days rural people are roughly a mix of kinds of Basques with mesolithic few remnants, i believe, and Celts and early celtized people (ex Ligurians among them?) with a taste or diverses Roman and romanized people and a big taste of Germans, according to the regions - the cities of France are a mix of every kind of European plus extra-European people, no value concerning the past, then - never was Gallia people 100% celtic in 100% of the places -
5- I'm tired focalizing about this only aspect of "celticity" - (I made some answers yet, and have no more to say) - good luck -

and that means for central european celts what ? I doubt there were basques in those regions, i heard there were illyrians though before the celts came. maybe raetians too

So i learned recently on this forum that Celts actually come from Iberia rather than central europe.

No, no, and not. Celts came from central europe (and from there they arrived maybe from Ukraine, and from there they came from around india, given the fact they are INDO-europeans, and the ancient languages of spain are non-indoeuropean), then from there they spreaded to iberia via france as well, but as well as romania, ukraine, czech republic, bulgaria, northern italy, and half of europe pratically, how on earth could they come from the southern-west end of europe, and from there spread also till anatolia?

dark hair aren't a preogative of people living in southern europe, pratically 90% of the world population has balck hair, blonde hair are only the majority in some parts of northern europe, and celts with dark hair have different facial features then pre-celt non indoeuropean iberians etc, or even precelts people from the british isles.. just as well as italians and chineses are different people, but have both majority of dark hair

and that means for central european celts what ? I doubt there were basques in those regions, i heard there were illyrians though before the celts came. maybe raetians too

I answered for France to other posts - I mean: the present day French people are variated and have undergone History after the Celts, in diverse ways according to the region! AND WHO EVER SAID THAT EVEN "PURE" LATENE CELTS WAS COMPLETELY LIKE THE GERMANICS??? read all the posts and someones about pigmentation and form, it can help -

Also, why do you guys think the Iberian theory is wrong ? as to why they spread to anatolia, it makes no difference at all, wheater celts are from central europe or iberia to spreas to anatolia, people tend to migrate, and if they come from iberia or central europe doesnt have to do anythign with that.
I am no expert, not at all. so my theories are not true, but it is what i am thinking could be possible.
when i look at it, migration from iberia seems plausible. Celts never were that dominant in Central europe, there were raetians, there were pannonians, there were illyrians, if the celts managed to get whole of france, britain under their control, then why is central europe not totally dominated by celts ?
However it seems more likely at the moment, they came from iberia, some spread over to the british isles, others wandered eastwards to modern france and austria and southern germany and others remained in Iberia. I am not saying celts were like typicall spaniards or as dark as them, but i am thinking they were darker than we used to imagine them, atleast those celts in Iberia, the other celts had other influences aswell so the celts from Gaul, even though speaking a related language, might not look like the celts from Iberia. Lot of scientists also agree with the iberian theory, so saying NO ! it is false because they are from Central europe, is a bit ignorant, especially if most evidence points to a iberian heritage, atleast at the moment we should not the

No, the people of ancient iberia, were all non idoeuropeans, even the basque, the only indo-europeans in spain arrived later with the celtic migrations from central europe..
But the ethnogenesis of the celts isn't in spain.. it's in central europe.

The ethogenesis of the first inhabitants of spain the iberians is different, if you say celts=iberians than sardineans are the most celtics on heart, cause the have the highest west-med or otzi like components on heart, the first inhabitants of europe were otzi like, so in many places of northern europe remains some pockets of otzi like looking people, but those otzi like were non-indoeuropeans, while celts are indo-europeans so they are a whole different people

Like Taranis said skin color is superfluous. European admixture over 2000 years has changed the ancient pigmentation map of Europe. Caesar does describe some tribes in Britain as swarthy like the Iberians. So, we could conclude that Iberians were darker than what Caesar was use to at home. The Carthaginians did have a great influence on southern Spain, and they were of North African and Levant ancestry. I don't know the genetics, but maybe they had a play in darkening the indigenous inhabitants who were a lighter skinned Celtic/Iberian group. Portugal and Brittany had trade relations with western England, so the swarthy Brits described by Caesar could be admixed with Carthaginians. A Carthaginian merchant takes an Iberian wife and has kids who are both dark, then the daughter is married off to a local Iberian man passing the gene for darker hair and skin but keeping the Iberian Ydna and mtdna. The Carthaginian/Iberian sons are sent back to North Africa to be trained as merchants and soldiers. Just one scenario.

My personal opinion, and I genuinely hope that I do not offend anybody with this, why do you even attempt to discuss phenotypical features in this context? The concept "Celt" is primarily a linguistic - by extension cultural concept, and if we talk about phenotypical features we very quickly end up going back to 19th century race theories and outdated (and in my opinion, quite dangerous) concepts of race, blood line and nationality. I'd like to reiterate that I'm not accusing anybody of anything here, but I'd like to give you a reminder that you're on the false track here.

Also, why do you guys think the Iberian theory is wrong ?

First off, I have to say that I am by no means supporting the traditional Central European (that is, Hallstatt/La-Téne) scenario (though I don't think it to be completely wrong either), but I do not consider the Atlantic hypothesis to be correct either (which does not mean that it makes a valid point):

- if you look at the expansion patterns of the Hallstatt and La-Téne cultures, it's clear that they only peripherically intrude into Iberian (the former) and Ireland (the latter). However, by the time the Romans showed up in Iberia, much of the peninsula is firmly Celtic or otherwise Indo-European (well, the Romans obviously never conquered Ireland, but as far as we know, it was wholly Celtic by the times the Romans took Britain). The Atlantic hypothesis thus (correctly) points out that the traditional model cannot explain this.

- I find that it stretches the imagination to assume that the Proto-Celts arrived directly from Pontic-Caspian region, possibly via a maritime route, directly in the west of the Iberian peninsula and then colonized half of Europe from there.

as to why they spread to anatolia, it makes no difference at all, wheater celts are from central europe or iberia to spreas to anatolia, people tend to migrate, and if they come from iberia or central europe doesnt have to do anythign with that.
I am no expert, not at all. so my theories are not true, but it is what i am thinking could be possible.

- one of the greatest objections against the hypothesis (in my opinion) is that there is no such migration (or more broadly, spread pattern) from Iberia to Central Europe (Beaker-Bell, perhaps? but this is also debatable). What we do see happening instead is that we have a multitude of archaeological cultures from Central Europe successively spread from Central Europe (Urnfield, Hallstatt, La-Tene), with more or less peripherial effects. At the same time, we also have an expansion from Central Europe towards the east.

- the problems with Beaker-Bell (who are otherwise a good candidate for cultural and/or demic movements) are several: the first is it's relative ancientness and also it's vast extend (southern Scandinavia, Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, North Africa - areas which certainly never were Celtic, and the latter wasn't even Indo-European until the Romans showed up!). The second is a genetic argument: if we correlate R1b with the expansion of the Beaker-Bell culture (Y-Haplogroup R1b is one of the best arguments for a major demic movement), the distribution pattern of R1b subclades in Western Europe is non-consistent with an Iberian origin.

when i look at it, migration from iberia seems plausible. Celts never were that dominant in Central europe, there were raetians, there were pannonians, there were illyrians, if the celts managed to get whole of france, britain under their control, then why is central europe not totally dominated by celts ?

If you look at what happens in the archaeological context, and also what Greek and Roman writers have to say on the topic, it's clear that Celtic presence in Central Europe was declining from the 3rd century BC onward, principally from the double pressure of the expansion of the Romans and the Germanic tribes. If you however say "okay, the Celts just expanded into this region, it was never heavily Celtic in the first place" you end up with an insolvable problem: if Hallstatt was supposedly not Celtic, what else was it? Amusingly, even the authors who firmly support the Atlantic model (e.g. Koch, ODonnell) dodge exactly that question.

However it seems more likely at the moment, they came from iberia, some spread over to the british isles, others wandered eastwards to modern france and austria and southern germany and others remained in Iberia.

- In other threads, I've posted the map of continental Celtic place names by Falileleyev of the university of Cardiff here on Eupedia a couple of times, which is very good in illustrating another key problem with the Iberian origin: Celtic place names in Iberia show a clear northwest (highest) - southeast (lowest) gradient. If Iberia is the original Celtic homeland, why are place names so rare in the south and east? To me, it looks more that Celtic languages were introduced from the north by a maritime route. We do (potentially, anyways) have a mechanism for explaining such a spread pattern - the Atlantic Bronze Age trade networks that linked Iberia, Armorica and the British Isles, but we need to reverse the spread direction.

- If the proponents of the Atlantic hypothesis come up with reasonable arguments against the objections above, then hooray, but until then it'd be cautious and keep an open eye. People shouldn't view the problem as black and white (that is either Iberia or Central Europe). It could be that both hypotheses are actually (to certain degrees) right or wrong at the same time.

- As a last word, I might add that an Iberian (or more broadly Atlantic) origin is actually much more compatible with the Anatolian Hypothesis (as opposed to the Kurgan model), because in it's context, it stands to argue that the Neolithic societies of the Megalithic builders must have indeed been speakers of Proto-Celtic. But this point is pretty moot because there are so many inconsistencies in the Anatolian Hypothesis itself that I find more likely to assume that it's simply wrong.

@ julia: i do not say celts are not indo europeans, they are Indo europeans. their ancestors came from the caucasus and settled in Iberia, and later they migrated eastwards. but proofs are rare, at the moment no one can say what is true, unfortunatly it is a mystery.
Celts, why must you be so mysterious lol we know where the germanic people come from, we know where slavs come from, but not the origin of the celts, however a central european origin also seems plausible now, i am not sure. Also i am sure hallstatt is celtic, but the pre hallstatt people were not celts, and maybe the celts from iberia brought their language there.

@ julia: i do not say celts are not indo europeans, they are Indo europeans. their ancestors came from the caucasus and settled in Iberia, and later they migrated eastwards.

it's the contrary, celts arrived from eastwards settled in central europe and migrated westwards.. what you said instead it's unlikely, they arrived eastwards, then from nowhere they appeared in spain, and from there they re-emigrated again eastwards.. very improbable.

Spain is a close end bottle at the very fringe of europe.. while the celtics expansion cover almost all of europe.. switzerland-southeastfrance-sothwest germany it's more of an easier crossroads for people to acced in nearly all corners of europe like celts did

This thread has been viewed 18264 times.

Back