Dacian language

Robert22

Reaction score
I heard on this forum that lithuanian might be a relative of the Dacian language, however i never heard of this theory before. I always thought that Dacian is a languager closely related with Illyrian, and also Albanian might be some kind of descendant of Dacian. There is a theory that dacians migrated to modern Albania.
Is the theory of Dacian being related to baltic languages true ?

I heard on this forum that lithuanian might be a relative of the Dacian language, however i never heard of this theory before. I always thought that Dacian is a languager closely related with Illyrian, and also Albanian might be some kind of descendant of Dacian. There is a theory that dacians migrated to modern Albania.
Is the theory of Dacian being related to baltic languages true ?
Hi! I am not a linguist but I have heard that Albanian language has some common traits with balto-slavic languages. I have no idea where the comonality is. Proffesioinal linguists of Albanian origin do not think Dacian and Albanian are related. There are common words in two countries but linguists think those are borrowings. For example the word "kopil" is in both Albanian and Romanian. The meaning is slighty different. In Romanian kopil means child, in Albanian means illegitimate child, or child of a *****. Romanian linguists should know if their language relates to lithuanian.

according to some books I red lately about I-Es, the link between balto-slavic and albanian (and also "true" southern illyrian, dacian, thracian etc..) is only a satem condition of phonetic - the links with dacian (and thracian) seem more tight, or with an intermediate language close to the two ones: modern romanian is a romance language, centum, imposed upon a different type of I-E language, but some words in albanian and romanian, forged on the same roots, show a common phonetic evolution foreign to greek or slavic or latin evolution - I could not say more, my principal source here is Bernard SERGENT and if he did personal works, he made too (as every scientist or scholar) a huge work of compilation involving other scientists works, so... I lack examples -

How does that sound to you? https://youtu.be/hkjcO_VFeWg

It seems romanian; as a whole, the "latin" accent is still there, for a French ear. What doesn't mean the romanian phonetical tendencies are the same as - say - the Italian ones. Roman input is relatively recent in Romania so... Not a genuine direct evolution from PIE.
I cannot say more.

@aalexa
interesting list of words; thanks. But why you didn't put their english meaning? It could have help to disentangle a bit?
We can suppose someones are of Slavic or Turkic origin?
I know this translation work is huge but it could help.

Thanks aalexa - It needs a lot of time to be analysed (even more when one is not too knowledged)

This thread has been viewed 6974 times.

Back