Reaction score
Ethnic group
more celtic
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b - L21/S145*
mtDNA haplogroup
H3c
Excuse me!
I lost a thread I found about the percentage of the more common family names in Europe countries -
it stated the countries where the most common names was represented at high percentages and where names variance was low was:
Spain, Portugal, Denmark, Sweden...
they stated Britain was in an intermediary place, but they put Wales along Ëngland in that study: bad idea!
Wales commoner surnames are by fact the most boring and low variance ones, before Spain, Portugal or Denmark:
adding :
JONES WILLIAMS DAVIES EVANS THOMAS REES MORGAN JENKINS PHILLIPS MORRIS LEWIS HUGHES OWEN PRICE
FRANCIS LLOYD LLEWELLYN HOPKINS ROBERTS EDWARDS GRIFFITHS RICHARDS PUGH POWELL PRITCHARD JAMES JOHN STEPHENS ELLIS HOWELLS HUMPHREYS PARRY HARRIS ...
you can made a huge percentage of the whole of Wales surnames!

Excuse me!
I lost a thread I found about the percentage of the more common family names in Europe countries -
it stated the countries where the most common names was represented at high percentages and where names variance was low was:
Spain, Portugal, Denmark, Sweden...
they stated Britain was in an intermediary place, but they put Wales along Ëngland in that study: bad idea!
Wales commoner surnames are by fact the most boring and low variance ones, before Spain, Portugal or Denmark:
adding :
JONES WILLIAMS DAVIES EVANS THOMAS REES MORGAN JENKINS PHILLIPS MORRIS LEWIS HUGHES OWEN PRICE
FRANCIS LLOYD LLEWELLYN HOPKINS ROBERTS EDWARDS GRIFFITHS RICHARDS PUGH POWELL PRITCHARD JAMES JOHN STEPHENS ELLIS HOWELLS HUMPHREYS PARRY HARRIS ...
you can made a huge percentage of the whole of Wales surnames!

According to Eupedia, many French and Italian surnames have no meaning, how could that be true?
I suppose that those surnames may lack a meaning in French but surely they do have a meaning in some other language (Occitan, Basque, Alsatian, Walloon....)

According to Eupedia, many French and Italian surnames have no meaning, how could that be true?
I suppose that those surnames may lack a meaning in French but surely they do have a meaning in some other language (Occitan, Basque, Alsatian, Walloon....)

it was not this very precise subject but I can answer:
EVERY personal and place name has had or has yet a meaning (except transcription errors, very scarce)-
what occurs is that proper names has a tendancy to keep "frozen" in spelling and to loose signification by time -
in France, a very big proportion of personal names (christian names and surnames based on ancient unique personal names) are of germanic origin and was not understood by the folks that took them to imitate the germanic nobility -
and as you say, breton, basque, corsican, alsacian-thiois, flemish names are not easily translated by french -
adn in every country these old names was often made with archaïc terms no more in use in the present day derived languages
+ religions put people to adopt foreign first names that became family names (patronyms)

some examples:
E-Bretagne W-France family name CHEDOTAL << "chef' d' hôtel": chief of the house (hostel) , house master - no more understood by the basis people - french LEMIRE << 'mire' old oil french noun for 'docteur', 'medecin', occitan METGE
european christian name and family names, understood only in the countries of linguistic origin, and yet, not all the time:
AUBERT/ALBERT/ALBERTI/ALBERTO/ALBREGTS/ALBRECHT...<< ADAL-BEHRT, germanic ("noble"+"bright", "glorious")
RODERICK/RODRIGO/*RORY 2 (not all) << HROD-RIK, germanic
PHILIPPO/PHILIPPE/PHILIP/PHILLIPS/FELIPE/FILIPE/FILIPPO/FILIPPOS << greek 'phil'-'hyppos' ("love-horse")
*FLOYD 2, "loyd" (the bird) but welsh LLOYD << 'llwyd', breton 'loued' = "grey"

some examples:
E-Bretagne W-France family name CHEDOTAL << "chef' d' hôtel": chief of the house (hostel) , house master - no more understood by the basis people - french LEMIRE << 'mire' old oil french noun for 'docteur', 'medecin', occitan METGE
european christian name and family names, understood only in the countries of linguistic origin, and yet, not all the time:
AUBERT/ALBERT/ALBERTI/ALBERTO/ALBREGTS/ALBRECHT...<< ADAL-BEHRT, germanic ("noble"+"bright", "glorious")
RODERICK/RODRIGO/*RORY 2 (not all) << HROD-RIK, germanic
PHILIPPO/PHILIPPE/PHILIP/PHILLIPS/FELIPE/FILIPE/FILIPPO/FILIPPOS << greek 'phil'-'hyppos' ("love-horse")
*FLOYD 2, "loyd" (the bird) but welsh LLOYD << 'llwyd', breton 'loued' = "grey"

Thank you for your explanation!
It's odd that most of European nobility is of Germanic origin from Russia to Spain!! but that's another topic

This thread has been viewed 5174 times.

Back